Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Stock or custom? Your thoughts

Hi everyone, just curious what your thoughts are on custom roms vs stock on the Nexus 5?

I'll start it off:
    I've been full circle. I started with a stock nexus 5 for a couple months, then ventured into rooting and playing with custom Kernels, and then moved to trying custom roms, and have come back to the stock rom and kernel (still rooted and unlocked).

Right now I prefer stock because I find that, although it lacks some of the built in customizations, it seems to work the best. Apps, camera, battery, all seem to perform the best (for me) on the stock rom and kernel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-22-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Default Re: Stock or custom? Your thoughts

Personally I'd keep it stock and just root for some extra app functionality (I like titanium backup).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:

Rooted Stock is where it's at. You get OTA updates when they happen, and you can still customize a lot. XPosed is useful if you don't want to run ART and will let you customize a lot without leaving stock.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint
    Thanked by:

Rooted-custom. Can't imagine any other way. I can't last a day on stock. Progress is too slow!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    20,712 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

If this question was for any other device, I would probably agree with custom. Faster updates. But a Nexus...I am sticking with stock myself.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by 3:

I was an AOSP flash-a-holic when I had Sense/TW. Nexus cured that.

Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    2,928 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi217 View Post
    Hi everyone, just curious what your thoughts are on custom roms vs stock on the Nexus 5?

I'll start it off:
    I've been full circle. I started with a stock nexus 5 for a couple months, then ventured into rooting and playing with custom Kernels, and then moved to trying custom roms, and have come back to the stock rom and kernel (still rooted and unlocked).

Right now I prefer stock because I find that, although it lacks some of the built in customizations, it seems to work the best. Apps, camera, battery, all seem to perform the best (for me) on the stock rom and kernel.
    Stock, unless there is something specific you have to have.

Custom kernels make upgrading annoying and tedious. I had one on the Nexus 4 just so I could correct the awful stock gamma on it and get deeper blacks. But to upgrade I basically have to start over. It was annoying.
    Thanked by:

Stock & ART runtime. No need to root anymore.
    Nexus FTW
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts

I'm running unrooted stock. I do have ART turned on - the speed increase seems minimal but battery life is good.

I would root if I could, but my workplace IT will ban any rooted device from accessing the Exchange servers (which I need to do). They use Mobile Iron to administer Android and iOS devices. So no root for me.

But other than a handful of minor apps, I've not yet found a need to root the N5. Other phones, yes. This one, not so far.

Posted via Android Central App
    Nexus 5 • Nexus 7 • Surface Pro 3
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod-7.2.0 RC1

My Nexus 5 is stock. I have the bootloader unlocked because I assumed I would be rooting and flashing roms but I haven't. I'm a big fan of cyanogenmod and have flashed it in many devices, but I just love my Nexus 5's smoothness running stock kit kat.

Nexus 5 - Stock 4.4.3
    Nexus 7 (2012) - Stock 4.4.3, CWM, SuperSU
    HTC Inspire 4G - CM10.1, CWM, SuperSU
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Well... I caved. Back to a custom rom. Got bored with stock. Now I'm running Slimkat 3.8 weekly.

Having a nexus makes it so easy to switch things up!

Thanked by:
    ConTejas likes this.

Default Re: Nexus 5: Stock or custom? Your thoughts

Mine is stock. I have no interest in rooting. I love it just the way it is.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Stock, unrooted. Running ART, Nova and SwiftKey and all's well in my Android world.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App
    --------------------------------------
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    Mine is stock. I have no interest in rooting. I love it just the way it is.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    Same here. Phone is perfect...

dkhmwilliams likes this.

Stock is smooth and flawless here. I feel absolutely no need to root and ROM.

Global Posts
    8,432 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Up until recently I was using stock with Franco Kernel. It's such a nice combination. However, wanting to see what features Paranoid has introduced got me itching to flash the ROM. Everything seems to be running smooth right now.

Android Guru

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.1.1 Jelly Belly

Stock on this and any Stock Android device

Running AOSPAL (PA Remix build) with Franco kernel. This particular build is the perfect mix of a stock-like feel, but a little jazzed up (PA) but with a new goodies thrown in (the 'Remix' part). Runs awesome.

Stock Rooted

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)
    ~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)

At the moment, I'm running the latest Paranoid Android build. It's awesome because it isn't filled with tons of features, but has of course more features than stock. And all of them are really good hidden inside of the normal settings app so that it's not a cluttered ROM while still being better than stock.

Running custom right now (Dirty Unicorns). I have run the stock rom, on occasions. But I like to fiddle and tweak and modify things. I was leaning heavily on Xposed modules to get to what I wanted to change. I started checking out custom roms since I figured that for every feature I could get moved back into the ROM and out of Xposed should reduce my chances of running into incompatibility or stability issues. I'd love it if I could get a ROM with everything I wanted baked and leave Xposed behind... so I could run ART. But the location consent disable module is kind of the deal breaker (I disable GLS in certain situations with Tasker.... and that pop up would be really annoying.).

Took me a while to find a smooth, stable ROM that had most of what I wanted... and now that I found it, I'm pretty settled.

That being said, if someone told me tomorrow that I'd have to go back to the stock ROM as a base, I wouldn't be all that upset.

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

I used to flash dozens of roms/kernels/mods a month from the NS to N4 (with some non Nexus devices in that mix...always AOSP on those beside a Note 3). As usual, I immediately unlocked/rooted my N5 out of the box but I had read about Xposed and Gravity Box. Decided to give that a try and I can't find any reason or feature to leave stock. You name it and it's very likely available with Xposed+GB with all the stability of stock/vanilla.My N5 flies and has great battery life (linaro version of Franco kernel) so I don't care about ART until Xposed is ready for it and L. Greenify and Adaway may be reason enough to root if I couldn't find others (I can...).

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    You name it and it's very likely available with Xposed+GB with all the stability of stock/vanilla.
    OK... first off, let me preface this by saying that I think Xposed is one of the best apps/features going.... and the Gravity Box module is AWESOME (I use it and many other modules).

But, you can't say that using Xposed gives you custom ROM features with the stability of the stock ROM. When you run something like Gravity Box, you aren't really running the stock ROM anymore.... sure, you have the stock ROM installed, but by the time it runs, bits and pieces of it were hijacked by the Xposed framwork and replaced with a modified version. Now, it might be stable, but that's at the mercy of how well those modifications are written.

In application, it is no different than what a custom ROM maker has done, it's just that he added the features before compiling all the code and Xposed injects it in after it's been launched. Two means to the same end.

Again... not saying GB or Xposed is bad.... they're awesome (and I haven't had any stability issues in the least) But I see it miscatagorized quite often. XPosed lets your hijack the ROM and run custom ROM code without having to permanently modify the installed OS.... but you ARE running a modified ROM.
    ConTejas likes this.

Interesting thread, but some of it went over my head. I think I'll stay stock; it's part of the reason I bought the Nexus 5. I may be a bit conservative, I have downloaded a bunch of app but none really alter the way I interface with the phone (e.g. a launcher, although I used these on Palm and Windows Mobile handhelds in the pre-smartphone era).
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Just updating my experience since starting this thread.... I'm back on pure stock. I enjoyed the customer room experience, but I was away one weekend for a wedding, and I had my first major f&@k up. The phone went crazy, crashed, wouldn't work, about an hour before the wedding. Not a good situation since my wife was at the wedding, I was in a different city, and had no way to contact anyone.
    BUT, as you should always do, I had a Nandroid backup from the previous build, so I reverted and was able to use my phone.

Problem was I lost a bunch of texts because I couldn't back up my current texts when my phone went nuts. The texts had phone numbers saved in them that I needed, and it was a hassle to get them back, not to mention frustrating trying to fix my phone while away (I, of course, wouldn't settle with just restoring from backup.. I had to try and fix it first, which just resulted in failed frustrating attempts).

To be fair, I was on experimental weekly builds, and it was the only problem I had in six months. This isn't a complaint about custom roms.

After reflecting and realizing how much time I spent toying with my phone during those six months, I needed a break and went back to stock. I haven't even unlocked it!

There are features I am missing and definitely missing the better battery life I had, but I am enjoying not minding my phone as frequently with tweaks. If I get bored with my phone, I'll probably go back and stick to stable builds.

So please don't take this as a knock against custom roms. If you're curious, try them out. That's why a Nexus is so much fun. Just keep a current backup in case of trouble.

ConTejas likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast