Nexus 5: Can't answer incoming calls on 4.4.2

tsangaris

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 running Android Kit Kat 4.4.2. Overall this is a great phone but i am facing some issues that i will describe below:

1) This i noticed 2 months ago. I dont know if it still has it:
I was calling a friend and he didnt answer. Then the whole day i was waiting for him to call back but he never did (at least according to my phone). When i called him again he told me that he called me back, the phone rang 3 times and then he got the message we get when someone rejects the call or the phone is out of battery. I never had a missing call to know that he called back.
This is a very tricky error, since maybe you are missing incoming calls from your boss. To you it appears like you never received the call, but to your boss it seems like you are ignoring him. Not a good thing.

2) This is a problem i am getting for the last 2 months.
When someone calls and the device is sleeping, i hear the ringing, i unlock the phone but what i get is the main page of the device. No incoming call notification, no dialer, nothing.Only the ringtone. If i press the phone app i get 3 choices:
a) use touch tone keypad
b)return to call in process
c)add call

Pressing "return to call in process" doesnt do a thing. To see who has called you, you must go to the missed calls after the ringing is over. Also if you dont restart the device, the problem stays there. The only solution is to restart the device. After restarting the device the problem goes away for 2-3 days and then it happens again.

I dont know if other Nexus 5 owners are experiencing the same problems, but since a smart phone is based on making and receiving calls, these 2 problems must be addressed by Google ASAP.

If someone had the same problems and solved them then i will be glad to test the solution.

Also, i am not willing to factory reset my device, if i am not sure that this will 100% solve the problem.

PS1: My device is NOT rooted.

PS2: My brother's Nexus 4 started having the same problem (problem number 2) after updating to Kit Kat 4.4.2. But not in the same frequency as my Nexus 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Cant answer incoming calls on Nexus 5 4.4.2

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but does a reboot solve the issue for any period of time or does it come back immediately? Did you notice this issue occurring after any software updates or new apps installed?

tsangaris

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but does a reboot solve the issue for any period of time or does it come back immediately? Did you notice this issue occurring after any software updates or new apps installed?

After rebooting the problem goes away for couple days and then its there again. Its not periodic, its random.

I dont know if this problem occured after 4.4.2 update because i as soon as i purchased my device it asked me to update. The weird thing is that i didnt have the second problem from the start. Its like problem 1 mutated into problem 2.

The apps i have are mostly for reading news, weather apps, some books and 1-2 games.

The only thing i did that can be held responsible for this is that i used a GPS-fixing to trick my device that i am in UK in order to enable Google Now. Yes, i had that problem too!! Google Now was not an option for my Nexus 5, as well for my Nexus 7 2013 AFTER updating to 4.4.2. But it was available on my Galaxy S3 running 4.1.2 and my Nexus 7 2013 running 4.3 using the SAME gmail account.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

What network are you on?

What is your signal strength like? Where do you keep your phone? If your signal strength is edgy and you keep your phone in your pants pocket or worse, pocketbook or purse, you may find that you actually drop below acceptable signal at times thus resulting in missed calls.

tsangaris

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

I am from Cyprus with Vodafone. At my house where i have experienced the problem many times the signal is always full. Also for some time i used only 2G just to rule out the possibility that 3G is messed up. But eventually i had the problem with 2G as well.

Its clear that is not a signal related problem since the device is ringing(aka receiving the signal) but i cannot answer the call.

Anyway, thinking backwards, the only thing that could cause the problem was the GPS fixing to enable Google Now. So i performed a factory reset of the device hoping to solve the problem.

I will let you know in a week.

Posted via Android Central App

Golden_Caviar

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site

Hi there. The same crap started happening to me after I bought my Nexus 4 days ago. It happened tiwce or 3 times so far, just like you described it. I am using 3G as a default network, I don't have LTE yet.
Does that happen after 4.4.2? I will be so happy if it is a software bug, which means repairable...

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 running Android Kit Kat 4.4.2. Overall this is a great phone but i am facing some issues that i will describe below:

1) This i noticed 2 months ago. I dont know if it still has it:
I was calling a friend and he didnt answer. Then the whole day i was waiting for him to call back but he never did (at least according to my phone). When i called him again he told me that he called me back, the phone rang 3 times and then he got the message we get when someone rejects the call or the phone is out of battery. I never had a missing call to know that he called back.
This is a very tricky error, since maybe you are missing incoming calls from your boss. To you it appears like you never received the call, but to your boss it seems like you are ignoring him. Not a good thing.

2) This is a problem i am getting for the last 2 months.
When someone calls and the device is sleeping, i hear the ringing, i unlock the phone but what i get is the main page of the device. No incoming call notification, no dialer, nothing.Only the ringtone. If i press the phone app i get 3 choices:
a) use touch tone keypad
b)return to call in process
c)add call

Pressing "return to call in process" doesnt do a thing. To see who has called you, you must go to the missed calls after the ringing is over. Also if you dont restart the device, the problem stays there. The only solution is to restart the device. After restarting the device the problem goes away for 2-3 days and then it happens again.

I dont know if other Nexus 5 owners are experiencing the same problems, but since a smart phone is based on making and receiving calls, these 2 problems must be addressed by Google ASAP.

If someone had the same problems and solved them then i will be glad to test the solution.

Also, i am not willing to factory reset my device, if i am not sure that this will 100% solve the problem.

PS1: My device is NOT rooted.

PS2: My brother's Nexus 4 started having the same problem (problem number 2) after updating to Kit Kat 4.4.2. But not in the same frequency as my Nexus 5.

try this on the nexus 5; in **mobile network settings** select **system select** & switch it from **home network** to **automatic**

see if this fixes the phone app ailment..

Last edited:

primal5

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I also have the same issues and am on T-Mobile US. I didn't have these problems in the beginning so it makes me wonder if it started due to an app upgrade. Google upgraded most of their apps and launcher so who knows....

Posted via Android Central App

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
This has been happening to me too.

Just now, I requested a support call from Amazon customer service, and my phone rang instantly, but the screen shut off before I could hit the slide to answer. So I touched the power button to display the screen, and it blinked back off again. Eventually they hung up.

I powered down the phone (which took a long time, because the phone would display a message to confirm that I wanted to power down the phone, but wouldn't respond when I pressed the button to confirm). I ended up just holding down the button for about five minutes until it finally shut off. It took a long time to restart. It said something about installing an update. And now it won't do anything but display this inane message, "unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped," over and over and over.... I was going to request a new call, but "unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped," and it keeps stopping over and over in such rapid succession that I cannot do anything but hit OK so the next message can interrupt to give me the same pointless message. Apparently I cannot use my Nexus 5 phone without it!

HELP! I NEED MY PHONE!!!