Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffDenver
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 battery comparing with iphone 5.

Hi
    I read some bad reviews regarding the nexus5 battery life... However I'm thinking swapping my iphone 5 for the nexus!!!
    How is the nexus 5 battery life comparing to iphone 5?
    Are both equal or is worse in the nexus?

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Nexus 5 battery comparing with iphone 5.

My wife has an iPhone 5 and my nexus routinely out performs it as far as battery life is concerned.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

I had a iPhone 5S and it seems generally the same. But on certain aspects concerning the battery the Nexus 5 outdoes the iPhone. For example, talk time is amazing on the N5 vs iPhone. But I've noticed poorer battery life on the N5 with screen on time. This is obviously because the 5 inch screen vs the smaller iPhone screen (can't remember how much smaller it is). I'm telling you to get the N5. I am blown away with the performance of this device. Don't think I'll go back to iPhone ever again....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

Nexus 5's battery will outperform the iPhone's battery. While I see iPhone 5 owners plug into their chargers, I still have around 50% battery life.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by lambrosio View Post
    Hi
    I read some bad reviews regarding the nexus5 battery life... However I'm thinking swapping my iphone 5 for the nexus!!!
    How is the nexus 5 battery life comparing to iphone 5?
    Are both equal or is worse in the nexus?

Thanks!!!
    I think they are comparable. The nexus will probably drain a little faster but only because it is doing more...if you limit it's functions to what you would use on the iPhone, the battery life will be comparable.

The Nexus is very good at holding a charge at idle (especially using the ART runtime). If the display is off, it loses almost no charge. The Nexus 4 was the same way.

The iPhone does hold a charge much better on 4G.
    Source: AnandTech | Google Nexus 5 Review
    Thanked by:
    Shilohcane likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

But has the nexus battery life improved with kitkat update?

Load and run Qualcomm's "Battery Guru" app. It's designed specifically for Snapdragon processors and will greatly stretch the useful life of the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lambrosio View Post
    But has the nexus battery life improved with kitkat update?
    It did for me since I switched from Dalvik to ART in Kit Kat 4.4.1 that is as simple as pushing the "Build Number" icon 7 times to get Developer access to ART. I get over 24 hours every day for my use that is primarily voice, text, email and light to moderate surfing on the web and the majority of the time I am around Wi-Fi and have good signal from T-Mobile/Metro.

4.4.3 has not been released yet. However we are expecting a new Android Kit Kat 4.4.3 update by the end of the month that will address the major bug with battery life;

Google acknowledged the poor battery life of the Nexus 5, which saw the battery drain on the device. The issue was reportedly caused by the Android 4.4.2 build of the open source OS that gives apps access to the camera on the smartphone. The process, called "mm-qcamera-daemon", continued to run even when camera apps were closed, making the battery hot and drain rapidly. Nexus 5 Android 4.4.3 update screenshots leaked with new dialer app design, Ecumenical News
    The current Nexus 5 is equal to iPhone 5's battery life now but the Nexus 5 should have improvement with battery life by the end of the month.

I've had three Nexus 5's and all have had about as poor a battery life as I've ever had. That being said, the device is incredible otherwise and I'm at a desk most of the day with a wireless charger so I accepted the fact and still use it as my daily driver. I don't care what the tests show, there is no way in hell this phone lasts anywhere close to as long as an iPhone 5S. I can't make it until 3pm without this phone dying if I don't plug it in.

Quote Originally Posted by el3ctronics View Post
    I've had three Nexus 5's and all have had about as poor a battery life as I've ever had. That being said, the device is incredible otherwise and I'm at a desk most of the day with a wireless charger so I accepted the fact and still use it as my daily driver. I don't care what the tests show, there is no way in hell this phone lasts anywhere close to as long as an iPhone 5S. I can't make it until 3pm without this phone dying if I don't plug it in.
    Perhaps if you'd use your tablet to stream music and/or spend all day updating facebook and twitter, it would last you all day. MOST of us N5 users can get their batteries to easily last all day. Not trying to instigate an argument, but I am a loyal N5 owner and have nothing bad to say about battery life in comparison to an iPhone. To each is own and it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggymart View Post
    Perhaps if you'd use your tablet to stream music and/or spend all day updating facebook and twitter, it would last you all day. MOST of us N5 users can get their batteries to easily last all day. Not trying to instigate an argument, but I am a loyal N5 owner and have nothing bad to say about battery life in comparison to an iPhone. To each is own and it is what it is.
    It's mostly email and hangouts but I'm forced to be on my phone a lot for work.

If you can, why not use their wifi? I believe wifi uses less battery than 4g. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Does streaming music using the DI.FM & TuneIn kill the battery more? It does for me 10% a hour of continue streaming on WiFi using 5ghz.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    ASUS Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - Stock Android 5.0.2 on WiFi.
    LG Nexus 5 Phone (2013) - Stock Android 5.1 on T-Mobile LTE and WiFi.
    T-Mobile 4G LTE Signal Booster.
    Cats are the best pets.

I think that it really depends on what you are using your phone for. My Nexus 5 could get through a work day just fine for me. I usually got home with about 40 to 50 percent at the end of the day. I used it to stream music when in the car, lots of texts, web browsing, emails, and phone calls. With the 5S, I could go an entire work day and get home with about 60 to 70 percent left. However I didn't stream music with my iPhone. My music was locally stored. so it was about the same to me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3... yeah, it's spectacular!

Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    ROM
    Which phone?

I switched from an iPhone 5 to the N5. For my use case, the iPhone 5 was far better on the battery front. For me, it isn't an issue at all, but it is noticeably different.

I understand the whole "battery break-in" deal, but it's enough of a difference that even after things settle down, it will still be far worse.

But, keep in mind, that's my use case. YMMV
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 5
    Kindle Fire

Part of the issue is that the N5 has a lot of tweaking that can be done to extend your battery life. Everything from living without 4G when you don't need it (background updates work fine over 3G, as do most basic apps, and even some normal web surfing), to setting up ART (which requires some know how) to configuring the GPS and data synching to match what you need), and generally Apple sets a lot of things for you.

Still, the battery could be better, but I've not really been wanting for a bigger battery with mine. Then again, I'm coming from the battery black hole that was the Sprint GNex.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint

I swapped my iPhone 5s out for a red nexus 5 .I couldn't be happier. The battery stunk on my iPhone , besides I prefer android . even though the battery isn't as good as my zs1 . it beats the iPhone hands down. (For me in every way).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mobile Nations mobile app