Before buying a nexus 5...

lambrosio

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Before buying a Nexus 5 I need some help!!!!

- having a gorila glass 3 do I need a screen protector?
- having a rubber housing do I need a case?
- not being Gmail my first email account can I work daily with other email account and not have any problem?
- can I sync nexus 5 OTA with Ms Outlook ( calendar and contacts)?

Thanks!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi

- not being Gmail my first email account can I work daily with other email account and not have any problem?

Thanks!!!

Gorilla glass is scratch-resistant, but nothing is every completely shatter- or scratch-proof. Screen protectors may protect from scratches, but they won't protect from shatter if you drop it the right way. Since I'm pretty careful with my screen, I never use protectors.

I do, however, always use a case, because no matter how careful anyone thinks they are, at some point the phone will fly out of the hand or lap. Any smartphone these days (besides the super-durable G'zOne's from Casio) is pretty delicate, so a nice drop from waist height without a case has a high chance of causing significant damage.

If you don't use Gmail, you can always access other email accounts using the Email app, which can sync with various email accounts, including Microsoft Exchange.

Syncing Android with Outlook is a much trickier proposition. Syncing with desktop Outlook requires 3rd party software, but I think if you're syncing with Microsoft Exchange, it's a little easier. See this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...-android-2014-part-iii-managing-contacts.html

Have fun, and enjoy the Nexus 5! It's awesome.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi

It might help with scratches, though I have not had any myself. I doubt it will do much to prevent shattering though. If you are concerned about that, get a case.

The rubber housing is better than the glass of the Nexus 4 and it will be more durable, but it is not as good as a case. Not even as good as a cheap case. Mostly it is nice for preventing scuffs.

Yes. You can have as many email apps on Android as you want and choose any of them as your default. The Gmail app only works with Gmail accounts though (and yeah, you can have more than one on it). If you want to use another webmail service or a normal email service, you'll need to install a second email app.

Probably, though I have never done it.

How To: Sync Android With Microsoft Outlook | PCMag.com
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.innov8tion.isharesync&token=_oU_vuOL

Microsoft themselves make Android apps, so they can probably do it as well.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

See the responses that other folks have provided. But I'll make one other suggestion. If you have a hotmail or outlook.com account, use that to store contacts/calendar. That will auto-sync to your MS outlook on your desktop. At the same time, you can set up that outlook account as an exchange account on your N5, and sync contacts/calendar that way. On your N5, you can then choose to display only your outlook calendar and outlook contacts.

yoonabomber13

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
What jj14x said is how I do it. If you have an older version of Outlook on your computer (2010, 2007 or 2003), you will need the Outlook connector. This will keep the Outlook e-mails, contacts and calendar on your computer synched with those on Outlook.com. Then you can set your Nexus 5 to sync with Outlook.com.

lambrosio

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
What jj14x said is how I do it. If you have an older version of Outlook on your computer (2010, 2007 or 2003), you will need the Outlook connector. This will keep the Outlook e-mails, contacts and calendar on your computer synched with those on Outlook.com. Then you can set your Nexus 5 to sync with Outlook.com.

This was the way I sync with my blackberry.... I will try on the nexus!!! Thank you allz

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463