Torrents

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on torrents via app based program and the nexus 5. I'm curious but afraid to try it. It wrote off my last PC and since then have avoided it. Let me know!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Are you referring to torrent clients like ttorrent from the play store? Stupid. It's not very convenient unless you're truly on the go. For example, it would be more convenient to get a Ubuntu ISO on a computer rather then on a phone.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Are you referring to torrent clients like ttorrent from the play store? Stupid. It's not very convenient unless you're truly on the go. For example, it would be more convenient to get a Ubuntu ISO on a computer rather then on a phone.

I agree... except make it a Mageia, Fedora, and/or CentOS ISO instead :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Let's keep in mind folks, any discussion of illegal torrent(s) is not allowed in the forums.

Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums app

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Let's keep in mind folks, any discussion of illegal torrent(s) is not allowed in the forums.

Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums app

Torrenting is NOT illegal. It is a very legal way to share files between parties. Pirating copyrighted files you don't own is (which is done via other methods as well). I personally torrent a lot of things that I legally own and/or are out of copyright or don't have copyright in the first place. I know you are trying to be careful but I thought I'd clarify for the community. Torrenting != Illegal Piracy = Illegal

I personally keep all torrenting I do in a Mac VM and scan each download before copying to a USB hard drive. That way, even if the download is infected, there is almost no chance of having my computer contaminated. I avoid doing it on my mobile devices :).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Torrenting is NOT illegal. It is a very legal way to share files between parties. Pirating copyrighted files you don't own is (which is done via other methods as well). I personally torrent a lot of things that I legally own and/or are out of copyright or don't have copyright in the first place. I know you are trying to be careful but I thought I'd clarify for the community. Torrenting != Illegal Piracy = Illegal

I personally keep all torrenting I do in a Mac VM and scan each download before copying to a USB hard drive. That way, even if the download is infected, there is almost no chance of having my computer contaminated. I avoid doing it on my mobile devices :).

That's why he said illegal torrents, not legal torrents.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. Sorry if this discussion caused a hailstorm of crap! Just wanted to have some questions answered. I just think this forum is incredible for answers. But if torrents are considered illegal and talk isn't appreciated, I guess this thread will be removed sooner or later. Thanks for the heads up and help everyone.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. Sorry if this discussion caused a hailstorm of crap! Just wanted to have some questions answered. I just think this forum is incredible for answers. But if torrents are considered illegal and talk isn't appreciated, I guess this thread will be removed sooner or later. Thanks for the heads up and help everyone.

It's not that. It's just that the word "torrent" is very delicate and bad when you use it in the wrong way. The discussion of piracy in the forums is what is not allowed.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
It's not that. It's just that the word "torrent" is very delicate and bad when you use it in the wrong way. The discussion of piracy in the forums is what is not allowed.

I would say it's an extremely touchy word :). It's misunderstood and I have seen members of other forums get banned for simply talking about torrent technology - how it worked, settings to use, etc. You're fine OP ;).

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I would say it's an extremely touchy word :). It's misunderstood and I have seen members of other forums get banned for simply talking about torrent technology - how it worked, settings to use, etc. You're fine OP ;).

Main point is be careful when discussing it. This is a forum about Android Phones after all.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

The mod said that posts about *illegal* torrents weren't allowed. I can't think of a valid reason to have a torrent client on a phone though, for the following reasons:

If you do it over Cellular, it's really messing with the network, causing a lot of extra connections/congestion. It adds a *lot* of traffic, as your phone is connecting to a lot of seeders.

A carrier is a lot more likely to drop you if you do it on Cellular even if it is a legal one for the reasons above, but possibly because they don't want to risk getting an RIAA/MPAA notice. Again, even with a legal torrent, I think they're more inclined to drop you as unfortunately, there are more illegal ones that legal ones, and they may play better safe than sorry.

Assuming you do it on WiFi, why not just use a PC on the same network? The PC would have more power, and storage.

That said, Remote Transmission is on GooglePlay, and allows you to monitor an install of Transmission running on a computer. You forward a port to the computer in your router, then add your home IP to Remote Transmission's settings, and you can manage downloads that are going on on your computer from your phone.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...apps/details?id=com.neogb.rtac&token=-VTUskKm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae