Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By gidgiddonihah
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Torrents

    Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on torrents via app based program and the nexus 5. I'm curious but afraid to try it. It wrote off my last PC and since then have avoided it. Let me know!

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  2. #2  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,310 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

    Default Re: Torrents

    Are you referring to torrent clients like ttorrent from the play store? Stupid. It's not very convenient unless you're truly on the go. For example, it would be more convenient to get a Ubuntu ISO on a computer rather then on a phone.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

  3. #3  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,255 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts

    Default Re: Torrents

    Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Are you referring to torrent clients like ttorrent from the play store? Stupid. It's not very convenient unless you're truly on the go. For example, it would be more convenient to get a Ubuntu ISO on a computer rather then on a phone.
    I agree... except make it a Mageia, Fedora, and/or CentOS ISO instead
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Torrents

    Let's keep in mind folks, any discussion of illegal torrent(s) is not allowed in the forums.



    Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums app
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

    I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 2:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Torrents

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Let's keep in mind folks, any discussion of illegal torrent(s) is not allowed in the forums.

    Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums app
    Torrenting is NOT illegal. It is a very legal way to share files between parties. Pirating copyrighted files you don't own is (which is done via other methods as well). I personally torrent a lot of things that I legally own and/or are out of copyright or don't have copyright in the first place. I know you are trying to be careful but I thought I'd clarify for the community. Torrenting != Illegal Piracy = Illegal

    I personally keep all torrenting I do in a Mac VM and scan each download before copying to a USB hard drive. That way, even if the download is infected, there is almost no chance of having my computer contaminated. I avoid doing it on my mobile devices .

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  6. #6  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,310 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

    Default Re: Torrents

    Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    Torrenting is NOT illegal. It is a very legal way to share files between parties. Pirating copyrighted files you don't own is (which is done via other methods as well). I personally torrent a lot of things that I legally own and/or are out of copyright or don't have copyright in the first place. I know you are trying to be careful but I thought I'd clarify for the community. Torrenting != Illegal Piracy = Illegal

    I personally keep all torrenting I do in a Mac VM and scan each download before copying to a USB hard drive. That way, even if the download is infected, there is almost no chance of having my computer contaminated. I avoid doing it on my mobile devices .

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    That's why he said illegal torrents, not legal torrents.

    Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

  7. #7  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,310 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

    Default Re: Torrents

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I agree... except make it a Mageia, Fedora, and/or CentOS ISO instead
    Nah, Ubuntu

    Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

  8. #8  

    Default Re: Torrents

    Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    That's why he said illegal torrents, not legal torrents.

    Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    I know. It's just torrents are often misunderstood. I just thought I should clarify :P.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Torrents

    Interesting. Sorry if this discussion caused a hailstorm of crap! Just wanted to have some questions answered. I just think this forum is incredible for answers. But if torrents are considered illegal and talk isn't appreciated, I guess this thread will be removed sooner or later. Thanks for the heads up and help everyone.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  10. #10  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,310 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

    Default Re: Torrents

    Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post
    Interesting. Sorry if this discussion caused a hailstorm of crap! Just wanted to have some questions answered. I just think this forum is incredible for answers. But if torrents are considered illegal and talk isn't appreciated, I guess this thread will be removed sooner or later. Thanks for the heads up and help everyone.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    It's not that. It's just that the word "torrent" is very delicate and bad when you use it in the wrong way. The discussion of piracy in the forums is what is not allowed.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Torrents

    Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    It's not that. It's just that the word "torrent" is very delicate and bad when you use it in the wrong way. The discussion of piracy in the forums is what is not allowed.
    I would say it's an extremely touchy word . It's misunderstood and I have seen members of other forums get banned for simply talking about torrent technology - how it worked, settings to use, etc. You're fine OP .

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

    -Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    wizzrah likes this.
  12. #12  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,310 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

    Default Re: Torrents

    Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    I would say it's an extremely touchy word . It's misunderstood and I have seen members of other forums get banned for simply talking about torrent technology - how it worked, settings to use, etc. You're fine OP .

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Main point is be careful when discussing it. This is a forum about Android Phones after all.

    Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

  13. #13  

    Default Re: Torrents

    Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post
    Interesting. Sorry if this discussion caused a hailstorm of crap! Just wanted to have some questions answered. I just think this forum is incredible for answers. But if torrents are considered illegal and talk isn't appreciated, I guess this thread will be removed sooner or later. Thanks for the heads up and help everyone.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    The mod said that posts about *illegal* torrents weren't allowed. I can't think of a valid reason to have a torrent client on a phone though, for the following reasons:

    If you do it over Cellular, it's really messing with the network, causing a lot of extra connections/congestion. It adds a *lot* of traffic, as your phone is connecting to a lot of seeders.

    A carrier is a lot more likely to drop you if you do it on Cellular even if it is a legal one for the reasons above, but possibly because they don't want to risk getting an RIAA/MPAA notice. Again, even with a legal torrent, I think they're more inclined to drop you as unfortunately, there are more illegal ones that legal ones, and they may play better safe than sorry.

    Assuming you do it on WiFi, why not just use a PC on the same network? The PC would have more power, and storage.

    That said, Remote Transmission is on GooglePlay, and allows you to monitor an install of Transmission running on a computer. You forward a port to the computer in your router, then add your home IP to Remote Transmission's settings, and you can manage downloads that are going on on your computer from your phone.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.neogb.rtac

Similar Threads

  1. Torrent downloading issues......
    By kgonzalez16 in forum Sprint Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 05:07 AM
  2. How Do I Delete Movie Torrents Completely
    By Tico2415 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-06-2014, 08:58 PM
  3. t torrent question
    By wolfhead in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 09:14 PM
  4. torrent question
    By mrsmumbles in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 04:43 AM

Posting Permissions