Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Visual Voicemail/Telus

Hey everyone!

Wondering if anyone has figured out a good solution for visual voicemail on their N5? I am currently with Telus in Canada and they do not have a visual voicemail app for Android. Which is painful. I am sick of calling into my carriers VM. I checked YouMail but it was sketchy and told me I had to call into my carrier to figure some stuff out. Call forwarding. Which I have. Anyways I don't want it to be that inconvenient. Had it on my iPhone and loved it! Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-19-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Default Re: Visual Voicemail/Telus

I use Google Voice. I don't have the full blown version but just the voicemail. I get the visual voice mail and a transcript of each voicemail. Note: the transcription is usually awful but can be entertaining.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post
    Hey everyone!

Wondering if anyone has figured out a good solution for visual voicemail on their N5? I am currently with Telus in Canada and they do not have a visual voicemail app for Android. Which is painful. I am sick of calling into my carriers VM. I checked YouMail but it was sketchy and told me I had to call into my carrier to figure some stuff out. Call forwarding. Which I have. Anyways I don't want it to be that inconvenient. Had it on my iPhone and loved it! Any ideas?

Google Voice. Just follow Google's instructions at voice.google.com on how to set the voicemail up. Pretty sure the instructions are in settings on the website. Make sure after you have everything setup that you check the setting in the app to show your voicemails in the dialer. Works so much better that way. You don't have to have a Google Voice number for it to work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Global Posts
    8,718 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Another Google Voice user. No complaints about it, and it does what I need it to do.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    Google Voice. Just follow Google's instructions at voice.google.com on how to set the voicemail up. Pretty sure the instructions are in settings on the website. Make sure after you have everything setup that you check the setting in the app to show your voicemails in the dialer. Works so much better that way. You don't have to have a Google Voice number for it to work.

Hmm, so is this another app? Apparently I have to do this from a PC. Won't allow me to sign in via mobile. Not a problem. Does it run well with the native phone app on Android 4.4.2?

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Sooooo, this sucks. Google Voice is only available in the US. That's exactly what I need! Damn! Apparently Google is discontinuing Voice and integrating into Hangouts? Hopefully this happens soon and is available in Canada lol

Pardon my ignorance, but how can a visual voicemail be integrated with Hangouts? What if the message is from someone who doesn't have Hangouts? Or whatever.. or will it just be a feature there, regardless of who the mail is from?

Global Posts
    8,718 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by slab0meat View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but how can a visual voicemail be integrated with Hangouts? What if the message is from someone who doesn't have Hangouts? Or whatever.. or will it just be a feature there, regardless of who the mail is from?
    Google first integrated sms into Hangouts in November and is expected to do the same with Google Voice soon. I'm not sure how the integration will work or if it'll simply mean one App (Hangouts) for those services. We should no more soon.

Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Google first integrated sms into Hangouts in November and is expected to do the same with Google Voice soon. I'm not sure how the integration will work or if it'll simply mean one App (Hangouts) for those services. We should no more soon.

That's awesome ! Thanks! I sure hope they have some sort of visual voicemail available with this integration. Not too sure as to why Telus hasn't offered a visual voicemail app like other carriers for Android! We'll wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post
    That's awesome ! Thanks! I sure hope they have some sort of visual voicemail available with this integration. Not too sure as to why Telus hasn't offered a visual voicemail app like other carriers for Android! We'll wait and see!

IMO, visual voicemail is one of the few things left that iOS inherently does better than Android.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Default Re: Nexus 5: Visual Voicemail/Telus

That and imessage.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Default Re: Nexus 5: Visual Voicemail/Telus

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Pelton View Post
    That and imessage.

iMessage was pretty good. It still had its issues. I think hangouts is just as good, it could be better once Google can really utilize the video and VoIP calling. I'm sure in the near future we'll see cellular data become the only thing we pay for over the towers. Voice and texting cost nothing for the cellular providers to run and is starting to become dried up, they can't do anything more with it. I'm sure we'll see Hangouts, imessage and BBM become the main focus of communication in the future. We'll just be paying for data plans monthly ha!