Anyone running into problems because of micro SD or non-removable battery?

nexam

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I have the Nexus 5 mainly because it is a pure Android phone. It was great that my last phone S3 has an option to switch an extended battery out off MPJ though; I haven't really had to do that on Nexus 5 so far. However, I like to have a lot of data on my phone, so micro SD is pretty important for me. Have no idea why it doesn?t has micro SD slot :( Anyone is also running in to problems because of micro SD or non-removable battery?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
No problems here. Although I am rooted and have Franco Kernel installed, which provides for an improvement of battery life. I'm not a heavy media user, so the lack of expandable storage doesn't bother me. I can see how it could for you power users. What is it that you often store on the device leaving you short of free memory?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Here's a good article from a little while ago that discusses some of the reasons why Google has moved away from SD card support: Why Nexus devices have no SD card | Android Central

The main reason I used to want a microSD card in my phone was to store a lot of music locally. However, I've found that I actually don't need it, because I mostly listen to music when I'm at the gym, and I don't like having my phone on me while working out, due to the risk of damage or theft. Instead, I use an old beater Zune for my gym music needs. When I want to listen to music on my phone at other times, I'll stream using Google Play Music, and since I have unlimited data on T-Mobile, I don't have to worry about data limits.

I'm not a heavy daily user either, so one charge lasts me the whole day, with plenty to spare. For heavy users, I would agree that the Nexus 5 might not be the best choice, but almost any phone will require at least one recharge midday under those circumstances.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Moderate user and have not run into any battery issues. As far as micro SD is concerned, I purchased the 32GB nexus and still have plenty of storage.

Posted via Android Central App

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Non-removable battery? I don't care. I will swap my phone long before I expect any issues with the battery to crop up (and I usually have a charger close by, so I don't really see the need to swap a battery out either. For outdoor activities like camping, I carry my newtrent battery pack)

MicroSD card? Could I use it? Sure. The idea of adding an extra 32 or 64GB to carry video/music along is good, and if a Nexus device offered that as an option, I'd choose that in a heartbeat (for use on overseas travel when I want to avoid roaming charges). But Google had stuck with "no microSD" on Nexus devices, and so, no point in arguing/debating.
32GB is enough for me (can't give up on Nexus devices) - along with a lot of cloud storage (box/dropbox/copy/onedrive/Google) - and USB OTG is always an option.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a 128gb sdxc card in my note 3 now and it is almost full. The Note 3 came with 32gb internal, also almost full.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a 128gb sdxc card in my note 3 now and it is almost full. The Note 3 came with 32gb internal, also almost full.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Wow! You have a bunch of data.

Posted via Android Central App

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
so micro SD is pretty important for me. Have no idea why it doesn?t has micro SD slot :( Anyone is also running in to problems because of micro SD

Yep. It is a problem for me, and there is nothing I can do about it. "32GB" (which it is not) is not enough space to store what I want to store on the device (and please nobody tell me to "use cloud storage" or "use an external device" or whatnot. That is not a solution for me, or for many others like me).

But it is close to enough, and it is a tradeoff. No phone is perfect, but the Nexus 5 is pretty damn close- enough that I was willing to give up the additional storage and I am still very happy (so far). But they SHOULD offer a 64GB version or one with an SD slot... it is 2014, not 2011.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
No issues for me. I have a day one Nexus 5 with 32GB that now has 23.5GB free. Meenova supports a SD reader for the Nexus 5. The best solution is a SanDisk ConnectTM Wireless Media Drive that takes SD cards plus the internal disk for up 192GB. Then just pop in a new SD card.

Also, if the battery needs to be replaced I have seen the video and it it no more than a 10 minute total job. There are Cell phone shops that will install it for you in the Nexus 5. All you need for tools is a guitar pick and a good hair dryer to losing the glue.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Meenova supports a SD reader for the Nexus 5. The best solution is a SanDisk ConnectTM Wireless Media Drive that takes SD cards plus the internal disk for up 192GB.

As I said in my post, above, external devices and "cloud" storage are not a replacement/"solution" for internal and SD card storage.... but having options is nice and they can be useful for some people and in some circumstances.

Also, if the battery needs to be replaced I have seen the video and it it no more than a 10 minute total job. There are Cell phone shops that will install it for you in the Nexus 5. All you need for tools is a guitar pick and a good hair dryer to losing the glue.

Neat. That looks somewhat like the replacement procedure for the HTC Evo LTE (except the Evo uses screws), harder because of the glue, but still seems to be not much longer. Many phones now have the battery between the screen and the boards, making it nearly impossible to replace. It is nice to see they didn't screw this up all that badly :)