Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Google Updates

Hey guys, I have a Nexus 5 running 4.4.2. I heard recently that Google is updating the play store and has pushed out a new update to Google keyboard. I haven't received these updates yet, I know it takes awhile for the updates to be pushed to the devices but aren't the Nexus line up supposed to receive them first? When an update is available for the keyboard, store etc. Will I see these updates via play store like everything else? Btw. I am still running Google keyboard 2.0 (latest version) and I am in Canada.

Any help will be great!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,869 Global Posts

Default Re: Google Updates

I saw the same article you did, and I wondered the same thing.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

The keyboard update will be available on the play store.but the play store update itself will just happen ...usually after you open the app at some random time.
    Thanked by:

Google likes to slowly roll out updates. I bet it will hit you in the next few days.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Default Re: Nexus 5: Google Updates

OK cool. That's what I assumed was going to happen. I'm interested in seeing what this Google keyboard is going to be like. It seems like a cool idea.

Nexus devices are first in line for system updates, not app updates. We all have to wait like everyone else ...
    Thanked by:
    bearda 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Nexus devices are first in line for system updates, not app updates. We all have to wait like everyone else ...
    Thanks for the confirmation B.Diddy. that's a good point, and never thought of it like that. Is there a maximum time line in how long we would have to wait, day a week for example?

Global Posts
    839 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation B.Diddy. that's a good point, and never thought of it like that. Is there a maximum time line in how long we would have to wait, day a week for example?
    B.Diddy is right - Nexus devices are first in line for system updates. Even for those, they are gradually rolled out in phases. It serves two purposes.
    1. It allows Google to address any issues that they didn't anticipate, before it rolls out to everyone (and causes a more widespread issue)
    2. Less load on their servers (though I'm not sure that is really a big concern for Google)

I suspect it is the same reason for app updates too. From what I've seen, it takes anywhere from 1 day to a month for the update to be available to all. If you want to get it sooner, you can hop on over to androidpolice and download the apk from there (keyboard URL). I've done that when I get impatient, and they seem to be fairly reliable (claim to check for cryptographic signature to ensure that the apk wasn't tampered).
    I do not work for AP, so use your judgement of course.
    B. Diddy and gidgiddonihah like this.

I just got the Keyboard update.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    Thanked by:
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,869 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    Me too
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post

I just got the update as well. Pretty cool. I like the blue color option. Leery me know what you guys think with the new Google suggestions. If you notice a difference or not. Thanks for the update!

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Apparently I can't spell. I meant let me know!

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

🙌🙋

Apparently I can't spell. I meant let me know!

You can edit posts

I still haven't gotten the Play store update.

Posted via Android Central App

I only got mine yesterday. Just gotta be patient.

Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superevangelist12 View Post
    I still haven't gotten the Play store update.

Neither have I.

Nexus 5 • Nexus 7 • Surface Pro 3

I got the update, but it doesn't seem to be a big update. I did see the option to make the gesture streak blue. But I didn't mind the white streak. Other than that, I really don't see a difference in functionality or performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    It serves two purposes.
    1. It allows Google to address any issues that they didn't anticipate, before it rolls out to everyone (and causes a more widespread issue)
    2. Less load on their servers (though I'm not sure that is really a big concern for Google)
    One of the things that has annoyed me about Android is the random/slow rate of updates compared to iOS. Apple seem to be able to update to a new version of iOS for ALL devices (old and new) at the same time. Given that, I suggest the 2nd reason above is not valid unless you think Apple have better and bigger servers than Google. To me it just frustrates users. Google should change it so that an update is available if a user manually/explicitly checks for it.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    You can edit posts
    Oh ya? How?

Global Posts
    839 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    One of the things that has annoyed me about Android is the random/slow rate of updates compared to iOS. Apple seem to be able to update to a new version of iOS for ALL devices (old and new) at the same time. Given that, I suggest the 2nd reason above is not valid unless you think Apple have better and bigger servers than Google. To me it just frustrates users. Google should change it so that an update is available if a user manually/explicitly checks for it.
    That's an excellent idea that I think Sprint was planning to try out for one of their recent OS updates (it didn't work, at least not based on the reports).
    Basically, it would work just as you recommended. For enthusiasts who want the update NOW, and are mashing the "check for updates" on the OS update (or are visiting the play store for app updates), give them the updates then. For the large majority of folks, who don't even know about the OS/App updates, push it out at the current schedule.
    There has to be more behind Google's current process, but we users don't know

Global Posts
    839 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Oh ya? How?
    Not sure if serious, or joking... but just in case you don't know, you should see the "Edit post" button right below your post (assuming you are logged in to the site). Click it, and edit away

Nexus 5: Google Updates-aa.jpg

Oh ya? How?

Push on the post and then select edit.

Oh ya? How?

On Tapatalk tap your post. Then hit the pencil button.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    There has to be more behind Google's current process, but we users don't know
    Nah... they just don't want to grenade an entire class of phones by releasing an update that had a defect that got one past the goalie.

Keep in mind that Apple only has to deal with an extremely limited number of devices and operating systems. And even then, they've blasted out updates that have caused some issues.

When Google sends out an update for, say, Google Play.... the number of different combinations of Android versions, device AND carriers is staggering... and impossible to check through. I saw a chart... I think it might have been on Gizmodo or something, that showed the fragmentation.... Phone models, versions of Andriod they are on and what carrier they were loaded on. It was an INSANE graphic...and the data was gathered from visits to some random mobile web site (might have been a store or something, can't remember, but it wasn't Google's data).

I can only imagine the DB Google is looking at when they say "OK, who is going to get this GMail update?"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast