Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Google Now Launcher Adding Pages?

Just curious to see who else may have noticed this. Occasionally the last page of my launcher would be a blank page with a + icon instead of the normal icon as if I were adding a page to it. Is this a glitch? It removes itself if I fake move a widget (pick it up and drop it on same spot) but its pretty annoying lol. So, I have 3 pages of widgets but a 4th occasionally pops up thats blank. Any ideas?

Default Re: Google Now Launcher Adding Pages?

I don't know exactly what you mean about the + icon? But yes, a couple of times when I installed a new app the icon got dropped onto a new page instead of on one of the existing pages which still have space, and so I'd move it back where I wanted it. It hasn't happened in a couple of months, I don't think.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

If you hold down any widget or icon an extra page is made with a + icon (its where the page indicator is). Lets say you have two pages then you try to add another widget, this launcher makes a new page for you incase you want to put it there. Basically the launcher adds a page for you for convenience but in my case the page randomly gets added without anything prompting it. I am not installing any apps that make an icon for that page, it just pops up and is entirely blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Guerrero View Post
    If you hold down any widget or icon an extra page is made with a + icon (its where the page indicator is). Lets say you have two pages then you try to add another widget, this launcher makes a new page for you incase you want to put it there. Basically the launcher adds a page for you for convenience but in my case the page randomly gets added without anything prompting it. I am not installing any apps that make an icon for that page, it just pops up and is entirely blank.
    That's a little different then to what my Nexus 5 did. I could (and did) delete the extra page it made a few times by just moving the new icon back to one of my older pages.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yeah I know exactly what that is, basically for you the Play Store app defaults to adding icons for each new app. Its actually a setting you can change so it stops making new icons. For me its pages being made for no reason >.<

I don't think it's making a new page. It's just a placeholder, letting you know that you can add a new homescreen to place the shortcut/widget. If you don't place it on a new homescreen to the right, then the + disappears.

Yup. I experience this issue frequently. It's annoying. It'll just randomly add a blank page at the end. Then at the bottom, there will be the regular dots for the number of screens, and a + sign at the end of it to signify the involuntarily added new screen.

It's a bug. Wish Google would fix it.

I have to long press an icon or a widget to make it disappear -- it's almost as if the launcher forgets it's already got all the screens I set/want, and it erases the + and the additional blank page.

Hmm. No matter what I do, I can't get that to happen. Does this happen to you folks all the time, or only sometimes? If only sometimes, can you narrow down the circumstances when it occurs?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I noticed it happened when I was browsing the google play store abit but I hadnt installed anything and the option to "auto add widgets" is disabled anyway. I think onthecouchagain is right, Google made a normal error and should hopefully fix the issue in an update, just wanted to make sure I wasnt alone in this lol

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Hmm. No matter what I do, I can't get that to happen. Does this happen to you folks all the time, or only sometimes? If only sometimes, can you narrow down the circumstances when it occurs?
    I wish I could tell you. Because it's so random, it's hard to diagnose or even send a report to Google about it.

It just happens randomly.

Quote Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
    Yup. I experience this issue frequently. It's annoying. It'll just randomly add a blank page at the end. Then at the bottom, there will be the regular dots for the number of screens, and a + sign at the end of it to signify the involuntarily added new screen.

It's a bug. Wish Google would fix it.

I have to long press an icon or a widget to make it disappear -- it's almost as if the launcher forgets it's already got all the screens I set/want, and it erases the + and the additional blank page.
    This happens to me at least once a week. It'll randomly go away and I have no idea how or why.