Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Free Cloud Storage

Not a huge fan of Cloud Storage, but when it's free, it's hard to complain about. So I'm curious. What app/service do you think is the best, and which one offers the most for free?
    Nexus 5 on Sprint

Default Re: Best Free Cloud Storage

Google Drive is good... They give you 15 GB free .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    VDub2174 likes this.

I use DropBox. I've built up storage space from their referral links
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Box is also pretty good. IRRC they give you 25gb initially and 25gb for having an LG phone.

Global Posts
    685 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I use a combination of box, dropbox, Onedrive, Copy and of course Google Drive.

To be honest, dropbox is probably the best out there at the moment (especially when you are syncing large volumes of data), but unless you are willing to pay, or have a lot of referrals, it is limited. I have two 50GB box accounts (one that Titanium Backup auto backs up to, and one for other stuff), Google Drive for G+ photo/video backups, Onedrive (with 100GB promotion for 2 years + 25GB standard from my old account) for random transfers to/from people, and for documents backup between my computers/phones/tablets, and Copy gets a backup of everything (redundancy).

I stopped using dropbox after they, out of the blue, decided that 15 or so of my referrals were "fake" and didn't provide any explanation of why those were fake. I know some people were using fiverr to get fake referrals, but the folks I referred were actual friends (students), that are actually using those accounts even now. They signed up within a span of 4-5 days, so I guess dropbox tech team thought those were fake. Anyway, I stopped using them after that.

I use 4 accounts but 2 regularly. Google drive for everything non picture and one drive for pictures as they have an auto backup setting for photos. Since I also have a lumia, I got an additional 20GB as well as of having office 365 gets you 20GB. You also get 3 GB for turning on auto upload for pics so I have 50GB.

Works pretty well. Probably a tad slower than drop box but I got tired of the small amount of storage I had with them and did not want to spam my friends.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8

I have (but do not use much) 25GB on Google Drive from the promotion they briefly ran when you download QuickOffice and 107GB with OneDrive from when Microsoft ran a brief promotion for an extra free 100GB.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

I use Google Drive, mostly, as it's all wrapped into my Google account.... G+'s auto pic and vid backup piggybacks on my GD space, so that's a HUGE plus. If not for that, it is kind of a 'six in one hand' sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    Not a huge fan of Cloud Storage, but when it's free, it's hard to complain about. So I'm curious. What app/service do you think is the best, and which one offers the most for free?
    Download the Box.com app from the Play Store, sign-up for a new account via the app, and you'll get automatically upgraded to 50GB storage for free...for life.

Here's the wordage from Box:
    https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/art...-Promotion-FAQ
    Thanked by:
    Viventis likes this.

I use Google Drive. I believe you get 15gb for having a gmail account. In just upgraded to 100gb because its only like $1.99 a month.

Posted via Android Central App

Google Drive is my personal favorite. It has always been reliable almost all of the time, and it has a clean design. Also, it integrates into basically all of the Google products that I use.

Google Drive. I get 25GB free plus if I need more I can upgrade to 100GB for 2$ a month. Dropbox and Box both have given me 100GB for free but I never found them near as nice or intuitive as Google Drive.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Yeah, Google Drive is awesome. Obviously has very smooth integration with all Google services. $2/month for 100 GB is remarkably cheap. I have 100 GB free for 2 years right now after buying a Chromebook, but it'll be a while before I fill it up significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    Also, it integrates into basically all of the Google products that I use.
    If ONLY I could have the photos and vids that Google+ backs up show up in a Google Drive folder automatically (yes, I know it can do the other way around, but that doesn't help me much).

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    I use 4 accounts but 2 regularly. Google drive for everything non picture and one drive for pictures as they have an auto backup setting for photos. Since I also have a lumia, I got an additional 20GB as well as of having office 365 gets you 20GB. You also get 3 GB for turning on auto upload for pics so I have 50GB.

Works pretty well. Probably a tad slower than drop box but I got tired of the small amount of storage I had with them and did not want to spam my friends.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5
    Just FYI Google Drive does have an auto photo backup.. It's hidden in Google + .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Just FYI Google Drive does have an auto photo backup.. It's hidden in Google + .

Thanks. I do want want to use Google +. No desire what so ever to sign up. I tired it once and it is just not worth it to me. I would rather have a simple no frills backup like drop box and one drive give me.

Sent from my Moto X!
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8

I use Google Drive for my personal stuff and OneDrive for my work stuff. I like then both for those purposes.

Posted via Android Central App

Google Drive for files and Google+ for backing up my N5 Apps and pictures.

Global Posts
    8,460 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Google Drive for pictures and other misc files. Dropbox for files I need for work. I'll need to sign up for more storage on drive and start uploading all the photos I take.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    4,216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

https://shared.com. They offer 100GB of free space and I use them to host some of my programs I develop.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

OMG BECKY IT'S ALMOST HERE. The greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone is on the verge of release. Unlock bootloaders, flash recoveries, root, and more. Open source, powerful, end-to-end encryption, enhanced by Droplr and Amazon's Secure Content Distribution Network. Best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

So google+ might be needed to backup photos and videos? That's what I want for the wife, so I'll have to try to set it up. Signed up for Pogoplug, and the app works great for photo/video backup, but it's only 5 GB for free, unlimited is $5.95/mo or $49.95 a year.

Needs to be as automated as possible and easy to do, and I need more than 5 GB of storage. I'll poke around with Drive. I think I have that setup on my phone, but I never knew the backups were on drive or how to see them.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Google Drive for files and Google+ for backing up my N5 Apps and pictures.
    Can you explain more how Google+ backs up your apps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by regression View Post
    Can you explain more how Google+ backs up your apps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Just your photos and videos.... the app backup is more a Google play thing, and with that, app data is only saved if the use cloud data, which is still fairly new, so not all apps use it yet.

But for pics, it Couldn't be easier... just open the Google photos app, or Google+, there will be a setting to auto backup. Then just let it do its thing in the background. The Photos app does a good job of making it look seamless (as in telling the difference between if the photo is local, or in the cloud). And you can easily see everything that is backed up on a desktop browser by going into Google+ (you have an account there whether you know it or not).

There are tons of added features to... you can easily share pictures and videos (it uses a kind of private, modified YouTube), it makes little compilations, called Auto-awesome, for you... pretty slick stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    So google+ might be needed to backup photos and videos? That's what I want for the wife, so I'll have to try to set it up. Signed up for Pogoplug, and the app works great for photo/video backup, but it's only 5 GB for free, unlimited is $5.95/mo or $49.95 a year.

Needs to be as automated as possible and easy to do, and I need more than 5 GB of storage. I'll poke around with Drive. I think I have that setup on my phone, but I never knew the backups were on drive or how to see them.
    Google+ just uses your Google drive storage.... but you don't see it in drive... you see them I'm either Google Photos, or Google+.

And it really can't be any more seamless and automated... once you turn on the backup, you don't have to lift a finger.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by korab84 View Post
    Download the Box.com app from the Play Store, sign-up for a new account via the app, and you'll get automatically upgraded to 50GB storage for free...for life.

Here's the wordage from Box:
    https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/art...-Promotion-FAQ
    Thanks so much. It worked! You have to sign up with the app., not the internet site.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast