Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By crxssi
  • 1 Post By jj14x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default New Nexus 5 Questions - T-Mobile

Hi,

I just ordered a Nexus 5 from the Play store. I am currently using a Note 3 from T-Mobile. I search around the forums but am having trouble find answers to a few of my questions.

1. I believe both phones use MicroSIM so I think I can just swap the card from my Note 3 to the Nexus 5 and be good to go right? Once swapped, will the Nexus 5 show up under my account and phone # on the TMobile.com website?

2. If ordered from the Play Store I won't get any of T-Mobiles pre-installed apps (Visual Voicemail, HotSpot). I'm assuming the nexus 5 has its own voicemail and hotspot in the settings? jHow does that work?

If this has already been posted elsewhere and someone can point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

ROM
    DanteROM

Default Re: New Nexus 5 Questions - T-Mobile

The nexus 5 uses a micro Sim. If you already have one, it will work after you insert the Sim. As for voicemail, unless you have an app for visual voicemail, the nexus 5 uses the dialer based voicemail. And finally, hotspot works with the built in android functionality.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by swinzo1010 View Post
    2. If ordered from the Play Store I won't get any of T-Mobiles pre-installed apps (Visual Voicemail, HotSpot). I'm assuming the nexus 5 has its own voicemail and hotspot in the settings? jHow does that work?
    No matter where you buy the Nexus 5, it will never have any carrier-installed apps, it's always 100% Google Android. Any carrier that wants to carry the Nexus line must agree to stay hands off and not screw with it, lock it down, etc... that's one of many reasons why the Nexus line is so great, and why we'll NEVER see one on Verizon Wireless (they refuse to let unlocked and unmodified phones on their network)

KitKat has its own hotspot feature, and for visual voicemail, there is always Google Voice.
    Thanked by:
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,689 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    No matter where you buy the Nexus 5, it will never have any carrier-installed apps, it's always 100% Google Android. Any carrier that wants to carry the Nexus line must agree to stay hands off and not screw with it, lock it down, etc... that's one of many reasons why the Nexus line is so great, and why we'll NEVER see one on Verizon Wireless (they refuse to let unlocked and unmodified phones on their network)

KitKat has its own hotspot feature, and for visual voicemail, there is always Google Voice.
    Actually, there WAS a Nexus on Verizon... and for some reason Google yielded and allowed Verizon to install some crap on it. The next time, Google said no more. And as you can see, Verizon refused to sell it. Verizon is evil.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:
    Iggymart and Emanuel Williams like this.

Hi,

I just ordered a Nexus 5 from the Play store. I am currently using a Note 3 from T-Mobile. I search around the forums but am having trouble find answers to a few of my questions.

1. I believe both phones use MicroSIM so I think I can just swap the card from my Note 3 to the Nexus 5 and be good to go right? Once swapped, will the Nexus 5 show up under my account and phone # on the TMobile.com website?

If this has already been posted elsewhere and someone can point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    I use Google Voice as my voicemail service. It works really well and I can check voicemails from my computer if I want.

Hi,

I am in the process of switching from Sprint to T-Mobile with a Play Nexus 5. I had ordered a new micro SIM from T-Mobile so my situation is a little different than yours. But T-Mobile website did not automatically recognize that I had a Nexus 5. I had to "update" from "an unknown device" on the website.

Just search for "T-Mobile" from your Nexus 5 on the Play store. The T-Mobile apps would show up. Install what you need. (FYI, visual voicemail app did not show up for me. Not sure why.)

Eventually, I plan to use Google Voice as my voicemail service once the Hangouts/Voice situation is sorted out.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    I use Google Voice as my voicemail service. It works really well and I can check voicemails from my computer if I want.
    Same here, you also can have Google Voice text/email you a transcription of the VM as well.
    ~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)

And you can always have Google Voice pop you an email, with a transcript... or just load the chrome extension and get notified, read or listen to it on your desktop.

Google does one hell of a job integrating everything... when someone calls me or leaves a message, they are calling ME, and not so much my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

T-Mobile's Visual Voice Mail app runs fine on the Nexus 5. For some crazy reason you can't get it on the Play Store. Search for the .apk file and side load it. The one I found is named... com.tmobile.vvm.application-1.apk.

Global Posts
    2,689 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viventis View Post
    T-Mobile's Visual Voice Mail app runs fine on the Nexus 5. For some crazy reason you can't get it on the Play Store.
    Isn't it this? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vm.application

Search for the .apk file and side load it. The one I found is named... com.tmobile.vvm.application-1.apk.
    Like Sprint, it looks like they charge some stupid monthly fee to use it with VISUAL voicemail (otherwise it is just a bunch of sound recordings... I think... at least that is how the Sprint voicemail app works without the visual option)
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Isn't it this? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vm.application

Like Sprint, it looks like they charge some stupid monthly fee to use it.
    $3.99/month. Better to use Google Voice.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Its free to have VVM. However, voicemail to text and the ad free edition is $3.99.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I second that suggestion. It gives you VVM with text transcription - just use google voice lite with your existing phone#
    B. Diddy likes this.

Google voice lite is great. Decent app, transcription to (text, email, or both) and it's free. Can't argue that.

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)
    ~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)

Yeah, I've been using Google Voice as my voicemail choice.... It's free, you can have it email or text you the voicemail transcripts, you can add a extension to your desktop browser to notify you if you get a VM....

Why pay for VVM?

Global Posts
    2,689 Global Posts

Some of us think Google has enough of our info already... if you know what I mean

True, and of course there are different options out there. But then you're allowing those companies access to your information ...

Global Posts
    2,689 Global Posts

True, and of course there are different options out there. But then you're allowing those companies access to your information ...
    I would rather spread out different info between multiple places than have all my eggs in one basket. Doesn't change the security aspect all that much, but makes it much harder for aggregation.