Some questions about the nexus 5

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I decided I'm going to be picking up a nexus 5 soon because I'm wanting to go back to android for my phone from iOS, but is it still good to pick up right now. I don't have a upgrade available, so I need to get a off contract phone and I figured the nexus 5 was the best available. But is a nexus 6 just around the corner? Have battery issues with nexus 5 been ironed out? How has performance held up

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So, I decided I'm going to be picking up a nexus 5 soon because I'm wanting to go back to android for my phone from iOS, but is it still good to pick up right now. I don't have a upgrade available, so I need to get a off contract phone and I figured the nexus 5 was the best available. But is a nexus 6 just around the corner? Have battery issues with nexus 5 been ironed out? How has performance held up

I have a poor signal, and I can make it 9ish hours on a charge.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What are the battery issues? Are they widespread or just a thing in forums? The next Nexus phone is probably about 7 months away. The closest two devices to the Nexus are the Moto X and LG G2, both with better overall battery life and pros/cons to each compared to a Nexus.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If I were to be looking for a phone right now (assuming that I didn't have a Nexus) the Nexus 5 and Moto X would be the two I consider as off contract purchases.

As NothingIsTrue said, the next Nexus is still a ways out of Google sticks to their somewhat regular release schedule. Remember, there's always newer phones coming out. Enjoy the phone you have and know that you'll at least receive the latest updates from Google for a year or two.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
If I were to be looking for a phone right now (assuming that I didn't have a Nexus) the Nexus 5 and Moto X would be the two I consider as off contract purchases.

As NothingIsTrue said, the next Nexus is still a ways out of Google sticks to their somewhat regular release schedule. Remember, there's always newer phones coming out. Enjoy the phone you have and know that you'll at least receive the latest updates from Google for a year or two.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I'd be taking some risk buying a Moto X, no? What with the Lenovo thing and the uncertainty that comes with that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd be nervous buying a Moto X, no? What with the Lenovo thing and the uncertainty that comes with that.

Realistically just like with Google, the pipeline takes a long time to change. The X and it's successor will most likely be unaffected by the purchase and we probably won't see their influence until at least 2015 devices. So far (sale isn't final) Moto has continued outstanding improvements to the offering in both hardware customization options and sales, plus they're continuing to update the apps. I just bought another Moto X about a month ago and am not concerned with this at all.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Realistically just like with Google, the pipeline takes a long time to change. The X and it's successor will most likely be unaffected by the purchase and we probably won't see their influence until at least 2015 devices. So far (sale isn't final) Moto has continued outstanding improvements to the offering in both hardware customization options and sales, plus they're continuing to update the apps. I just bought another Moto X about a month ago and am not concerned with this at all.

I don't see a scenario where the sale won't go through. And if it didn't, do you think the folks at Motorola would still happily work under google when they tried to sell them?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not particularly worried for Motorola under Lenovo's ownership. Lenovo has shown itself to be a solid tech company that puts out quality desktops and laptops, and has clearly been interested in improving its mobile footprint throughout the world. Their tablets have been fairly decent so far, with the upcoming Yoga 10 HD+ sounding quite impressive. The company as a whole seems hungry to get more market share, so I think that will translate to strong support for Motorola.

As to your original question, I think the Nexus 5 is a great choice. The battery is average, but it isn't "horrible" as some people are fond of saying. 3-4 hours of screen-on time per charge is to be expected, and with normal moderate use, I get through the day with about 40% of battery to spare. For total battery worriers, just get a wireless charging pad and leave the phone on it whenever you're not using it. The phone itself is superfast and supersmooth, and I would expect typical Nexus support for updates for at least the next 2 years, probably even more.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there's been anything definitive on next gen Nexus phone. If past behaviour is any indicator, if there is a new model it'll likely show up at the very end of the year. There was of course also rumours a little while back of the demise of the Nexus line.

I don't recall much in the way of battery issues, other than the one that has crept up recently with the camera staying running in the background. Google has already acknowledged this and a fix is in the works. At 2300 mAh, Nexus 5 battery is smaller than it's competitors, so it may not last as long as some of its fellow 5" phones. That said, most days I can make it from 7am-11pm with about 15-20% to spare. On a really high use day, I'll plug into the charger in the late afternoon/early evening to top up a little.

The performance of the phone has held up well for me. I've had my Nexus 5 since the end of November, and it feels just as fast as day one. It has yet to be in a situation where I've felt the device may be getting long in the tooth.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000