Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gidgiddonihah
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 and h.265/HEVC playback

Hi,

Anyone successfully playing back HEVC media with a Nexus 5? If so, with which media player?

I've tried several and Ultimate Media Player seems to be the best - others either don't play the video at all or don't play the audio or have too many frame drops - although I get some frame drops (even with the lowest settings and H/W decoding on).

Thanks,

->g.

Default Re: Nexus 5 and h.265/HEVC playback

Quote Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
    Hi,

Anyone successfully playing back HEVC media with a Nexus 5? If so, with which media player?

I've tried several and Ultimate Media Player seems to be the best - others either don't play the video at all or don't play the audio or have too many frame drops - although I get some frame drops (even with the lowest settings and H/W decoding on).

Thanks,

->g.
    I love MX Player. Supports every format I've ever thrown at it. Not sure if it supports HEVC.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    4,590 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks,

->g.
    Try MX Player. If that doesn't work, try BS Player.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

MX player doesn't play back the video. I'll try BS player.

Not sure how brave you are but I have done this with a custom build of a player though I am pretty sure some players in play store do this now too. I will upload mine at some point.

Initial details on the build process here: Playing HEVC/H.265 on Android with ffmpeg, libx265 and Vitamio - Sinclair Media Technology

X265 works on my lg g3 in mxplayer with hw decoder selected in settings, (i only had audio and a black screen with sw decoder). Dont know if nexus 5 has the right hardware to do it though?

What is BS player? I don' think media player can support H.265 video now because my VLC media player is not compatible with any H.265 MP4 video I have tried.