Did anyone switch to Nexus 5 from the Galaxy S3?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
And if so what has been your experience? I have run custom AOSP rom's on my Verizon S3, so I know I'll like the stock Android experience. Also, I'm going to lose the replaceable battery and my 64GB sd card. I'm more concerned with camera, battery life in daily use, and whether the phone feels faster/better. I don't play any games btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Did anyone switch to N5 from the S3?

I made the switch from the S3 to the Note 3 to the N5. I couldn't be happier either. Although I still have a Verizon plan with my note 3, I have all calls forwarded to my N5.

Posted via Android Central App

mav00761380

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Same here. Came from S3 on Verizon and switched to T Mobile and Nexus 5 and couldn't be happier. The N5 is smokin fast and just flat out awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
AOSP on my AT&T S3 was ALWAYS buggy, even "stable" releases. That said, the S3 had the removable battery, microSD card, and better battery life (TW or AOSP) than my N5.

Still, the N5 is a way better phone. I don't miss the S3's sh?tty plastic back cover.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

I made the switch from the S3 to the Note 3 to the N5. I couldn't be happier either. Although I still have a Verizon plan with my note 3, I have all calls forwarded to my N5.

What is your experience after using the Note 3 and working with the Nexus 5?

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
The nexus 5 is much smoother and has yet to lag during any operation. I especially enjoy the size factor, wherein the phone fits comfortably in one hand.

Inasmuch as the battery does not last as long, it isn't a slouch and will last me all day with moderate use.

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
The nexus 5 is much smoother and has yet to lag during any operation. I especially enjoy the size factor, wherein the phone fits comfortably in one hand.

Inasmuch as the battery does not last as long, it isn't a slouch and will last me all day with moderate use.

I ordered the Moto X and my son wants to trade for my iPhone 5S. I may give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the Moto X and my son wants to trade for my iPhone 5S. I may give it a try.

Don't be mistaken. This is the Nexus 5 and not the Moto X. There is no comparison in screen resolution between the two. Nexus 5 is very sharp.

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't be mistaken. This is the Nexus 5 and not the Moto X. There is no comparison in screen resolution between the two. Nexus 5 is very sharp.

Besides the screen, why should I take the Nexus 5 over the Moto X.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

Although I have never owed the Moto X, the only reason I would, would be because the Nexus 5 is a quad-core device, whereas the Moto X is dual-core.
Hopefully someone with Moto X experience can additionally assist you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Better camera. There are threads in both the Moto X and Nexus 5 forums for photos taken with each, if you want to compare. Some of the Moto X photos are beautiful, but I think low light photos are much better with the Nexus 5.

I've had my Nexus 5 since the first week of November and it's still as blazing fast as the first day. I love it.

The only reason to get the Moto X instead is if the smaller form factor difference is extremely important to you, or the touchless controls feature.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Although I have never owed the Moto X, the only reason I would, would be because the Nexus 5 is a quad-core device, whereas the Moto X is dual-core.
Hopefully someone with Moto X experience can additionally assist you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. Once I receive it I'll compare it with my sons Nexus 5.

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Better camera. There are threads in both the Moto X and Nexus 5 forums for photos taken with each, if you want to compare. Some of the Moto X photos are beautiful, but I think low light photos are much better with the Nexus 5.

I've had my Nexus 5 since the first week of November and it's still as blazing fast as the first day. I love it.

The only reason to get the Moto X instead is if the smaller form factor difference is extremely important to you, or the touchless controls feature.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I would like to check out the touchless controls and the speed comparison. I generally don't take a lot of pictures, but it would be nice to have good pics when I do take them. Size is not very important.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
And if so what has been your experience? I have run custom AOSP rom's on my Verizon S3, so I know I'll like the stock Android experience. Also, I'm going to lose the replaceable battery and my 64GB sd card. I'm more concerned with camera, battery life in daily use, and whether the phone feels faster/better. I don't play any games btw.
My BF has a Galaxy S3 that I have used a lot. The main thing I don't like about it is the physical home button...multi-tasking is just so slow on that thing compared to the Nexus.

The Camera on the Nexus is significantly better in every way except shutter speed. Low light and macro especially are a night and day difference. But normal daylight photos are better too. The GS3 is not even in the same league.

Battery life is better on the Nexus with the stock battery. However the GS3 is removable. With an extended battery, the GS3 gets better battery life (know this from first hand experience).

The nexus is definitely a faster and smoother experience overall. The UI is no contest...the nexus just kills it.

I would miss SD as well. The Nexus does support USB OTG though, and it works. Except for SD and removable battery, the nexus is better in every way.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Faster CPU. True vanilla Android. The camera on the Nexus is better.

92794d1384654546t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-compare.png

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice picture.

That is taken directly fro Android Central's own samples. These are samples they took with both phones under controlled conditions. Jerry believes that the Moto X has more realistic colors, but I will let you decide for yourself. IMO, the nexus is clearly better. Details are more sharp and colors are more vibrant. Moto X images look washed out to me (not only in this photo but in others I have seen).

Keep in mind this is prior to the Nexus 5 camera fix...it is even better now.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Update - my Nexus 5 32GB from the play store is on the way!! I got the 32GB because I don't want to run out of space, and I believe it helps the resale value?

I checked out TMobile's prepaid site, ordering a sim kit online is 99c, but instore its $10 :(

I'd really like Google to lower the shutter lag even more.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
(I apologize for the length!)

I made that switch. First... I really loved that SIII... GREAT phone. I ran Paranoid Android 3.99RC2 on it and it was about as good as it gets. At the time, all the KK ROMs I loaded were pretty unstable... rarely did a day go by that didn't see it boot a couple of times (especially switching between wifi and mobile). I noticed that the Nexus 5 was the new 'reference' phone for most all of the KK roms... and it sold at a killer price... but I was under contract with VZW for another couple of years and the Nexus 5 is sunlight to the vampires at Verizon... so it was a dream... until TMobile announced their Break UP program and the rest is history.

First.. the worries. Storage... I admit I was a little reluctant to give up the expandable storage on my S3. But a few months later, there are a couple of things that pretty much assuaged those fears. First and foremost... T-Mobile has unlimited 4G data plans. That is the great enabler. I had already pushed my music collection to Play Music, but I only used it at my house in fear of of data overage wrath of Verizon.... With unlimited data, I can listen to my hearts content. Secondly, that allows me to not worry about bandwidth and set my pictures and videos to always backup to Google+ Photos. So everything gets backed up on a regular basis... So my music is usually always available, and I have a safe place to store my media long term.... That leaves my storage for ROM downloads... :) And while I'd LOOOOVE to have a big partition to store a whole mess of Multi-Rom images, that's just frivilous... don't need it.

Now? I have enough space for a nandroid backup, a secondary multi-rom KK instance, and plenty of space for a ton of pictures.... that's all I need.

Battery usage.... I'm running AOSPAL nightlies with a Franco kernel... I just plugged in my phone... at 25 hours, it was at 40% with 3 hours of on screen time. So no complaints there, it even charges fast.

Performance: OK.... My S3 replaced my sturdy little Galaxy Stellar.... and I loved it. The S3 was responsive and rarely got too chunky. But the Nexus 5 is in an entirely different universe when it comes to performance. Out of the box, it's like butta.... really, it runs smooth as glass and load times are blazing quick. I've had it for over two months now and I am still amazed at how much this phone screws.

Camera: Nexus 5 has a better camera... it's not a DSLR or anything like that, but it takes pretty good pics overall and stunning pics under the right circumstances. The stabilization in the Nexus 5 also works great, unless you've had too much coffee, videos are almost steadi-cam smooth.

Pretty much everything about the phone is superior to the S3 (which, again, I really liked in its own right). Glad I switched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt