YouTube app draining battery

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I went from 100% to 30% in 3 hours and noticed YouTube app was most of the reason
u7e4ezed.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I had this exact problem yesterday also with youtube. Never seen it before.

I am hanging out for the 4.4.3+ updates because hopefully Google are fixing these odd battery sucking issues.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
How long was the screen on? I've had YT in the top spot, even though I had normal battery drain

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I used the app for like 2 minutes and then backed out of it and closed it

Definitely a wake lock issue then. For whatever reason the YouTube app kept the phone awake causing the battery to drain faster

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I saw that Closingracer was also using the Glove app. What about you, bulletmark? Just wondering if there might be some odd interaction between that app and YouTube. From what I read about Glove, it sounds like it constantly runs for 3 days, keeping tabs on when you use your phone for network access--maybe it's somehow triggering other apps like YouTube to run constantly as well?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I saw that Closingracer was also using the Glove app. What about you, bulletmark? Just wondering if there might be some odd interaction between that app and YouTube. From what I read about Glove, it sounds like it constantly runs for 3 days, keeping tabs on when you use your phone for network access--maybe it's somehow triggering other apps like YouTube to run constantly as well?

I ran it before and never had my battery drain like that before. Rebooted it helped so far

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Count me in as well.

Today after less then three hours on battery I noticed battery was low.
YouTube accounted for 49% of it! I've never seen that before either.
(I think I used YT to check my Uploads page in the morning, but didn't watch anything.)

I did a Force Stop but I guess that doesn't help with whatever's happening.
YouTube now accounts for 62% of the battery usage.

Reboot time....

daman123

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem on my phone last week. To fix it, restart your phone right when you see YouTube is draining your battery.

Posted via Android Central App

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Definitely a wake lock issue then. For whatever reason the YouTube app kept the phone awake causing the battery to drain faster
Yup, it' a wakelock issue alright. This has happened to me twice now. Once on Dalvik, and today on ART.

I've had this problem on my phone last week. To fix it, restart your phone right when you see YouTube is draining your battery.
But isn't there a chance it'd eventually come back when you use YouTube again? The couple of times it's happened to me, I force stopped YouTube and that helped - but then again, it just stopped YouTube from running. It should happen without user interaction.

alfaro21

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Just had the same issue last night. Went to bed with 40+ of battery and the phone didn't survive the night. After recharging youtube had the number 1 battery use...

lahoof

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I used YouTube for less than a minute tofay.. battery has drained much faster than usual.. YouTube accounts for 30% of battery used.

Xperia Z Ultra running stock 4.4.2

Jigger Lives

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
When I start my tablet charging I always check task manager, no apps running. After several hours of charge time I should be back to 90-100%, but no it will be 50-60%, I check task manager and there it is, Youtube app running draining the battery as fast as it charges. I have tried restart several times, has not helped. I very seldom even use youtube. Any suggestions? Thks.