Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint Spark on Nexus 5 activated but why am I not getting any Spark service?

I don't get Spark anywhere in Miami where its launched. I drive all day long due to my job, I check constantly which band I'm on and its always on band 25. Never 41, much less 26.

I did this manually as Sprint hasn't updated the N5 for Spark themselves.
    Band 41 is set to priority 1, the rest 0.

Am I missing something? Do I need for Sprint to do this themselves?
    Thoughts??

Posted via Android Central App
  2. Best Answer
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

only, with the update, spark on the nexus 5 has gotten BETTER ..

Carrier
    Stock

Default Re: Activated Sprint Spark on Nexus 5 but...

Do you know which towers in that area actually broadcast on band 41? Given that this *is* Sprint, expect a gradual rollout (and expect them to update their coverage maps right away to indicate what the coverage WILL be after a loooong time)

- a Sprint customer

A good friend of mine works in Downtown Miami and uses SPRINT for his personal phone and has yet to see SPARK on his 32GB Nexus 5 purchased directly from Google and set up just like yours regarding Band priority.

He speculates that until SPRINT officially supports the N5 their system will not allow N5 to access anything other than Band 25, but that is speculation so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Dan

Carrier
    Stock

I was able to connect to a tower with Band 41 in Austin TX last weekend (N5 from google play), so Sprint isn't actively blocking that.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Sprint coverage map shows 'Turbo Spark' in my zip code 33012.

Something to note though, right there in the coverage map, It tells you coverage depends on device (obviously). So when I chose Nexus 5, it doesn't show Spark in the map.... When I chose let's say, the coming Galaxy S5, it switches the map right back to show the Spark coverage areas.

I would think its not supported yet, and that's just retarded with my 'Spark bands' 'on'.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Well last night I took it upon myself and called Sprint. Supposedly, Sprint began a rollout of a "Google initiated update" for the Nexus 5 on March 10th....
    The rep also said, these updates were going to be in stages and should be completed 18-25 days after March 10th.
    I don't know how accurate this is specially since I haven't even read any article or posts from anyone who has received this.

Very weird.
    Thoughts?

Carrier
    Stock

Did Sprint indicate what type of update it was? Just a profile update? (it was not an OS update)
    And was this update expected to enable Spark on N5? or was it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by ttwiitch View Post
    I don't know how accurate this is specially since I haven't even read any article or posts from anyone who has received this.
    I'm with ya on this...

Sprint coverage map shows 'Turbo Spark' in my zip code 33012.

Something to note though, right there in the coverage map, It tells you coverage depends on device (obviously). So when I chose Nexus 5, it doesn't show Spark in the map.... When I chose let's say, the coming Galaxy S5, it switches the map right back to show the Spark coverage areas.

I would think its not supported yet, and that's just retarded with my 'Spark bands' 'on'.

I have notice the same thing on the Sprint map. Spark turbo really means LTE band 41 and even though we can enable the band it doesn't mean we have the access to B41 so easily. There very few places where LTE band 26 is live yet. N5 owners have reported latching on to B41 in places like NYC and getting 45+ mbps. But in order to get those speeds they have flashed their N5 with an older version of Kit Kat (KRT01B) which had better radio abilities to hold B41 signals. For some reason the current Kit Kat build (KOT49H) isn't doing much for Sprint spark users.

So I guess Google has to adjust them radios once again and give us a new OTA updated so we can enjoy spark B41 goodness and B26 when available. I am hoping for this Google update very soon since I have noticed the GS5 and HTC M8 is supposed to get spark and they are both suppose to be running the latest version of Kit Kat.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    Did Sprint indicate what type of update it was? Just a profile update? (it was not an OS update)
    And was this update expected to enable Spark on N5? or was it something else?

I'm with ya on this...
    Just an OTA update to enable it, and yes for the N5.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by prodeq12 View Post
    I have notice the same thing on the Sprint map. Spark turbo really means LTE band 41 and even though we can enable the band it doesn't mean we have the access to B41 so easily. There very few places where LTE band 26 is live yet. N5 owners have reported latching on to B41 in places like NYC and getting 45+ mbps. But in order to get those speeds they have flashed their N5 with an older version of Kit Kat (KRT01B) which had better radio abilities to hold B41 signals. For some reason the current Kit Kat build (KOT49H) isn't doing much for Sprint spark users.

So I guess Google has to adjust them radios once again and give us a new OTA updated so we can enjoy spark B41 goodness and B26 when available. I am hoping for this Google update very soon since I have noticed the GS5 and HTC M8 is supposed to get spark and they are both suppose to be running the latest version of Kit Kat.
    Agree.

Btw, does anyone know if by being on bands 41 & 26, we also get better indoor data and voice as well??

The lower the frequency the further the signal goes. So 800mhz signals travels further and penetrate deeper. Sprints old nextel 800mhz frequency is being upgraded for 1x voice service and LTE Band 26 for data. Sprint 1900mhz is currently too narrow and doesn't travel as far, is also over crowded since the majority of phones and sprint devices are on it. So there is a future to Sprint service and we are all anxiously waiting for it.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

The lower the frequency the further the signal goes. So 800mhz signals travels further and penetrate deeper. Sprints old nextel 800mhz frequency is being upgraded for 1x voice service and LTE Band 26 for data. Sprint 1900mhz is currently too narrow and doesn't travel as far, is also over crowded since the majority of phones and sprint devices are on it. So there is a future to Sprint service and we are all anxiously waiting for it.
    Couldn't of said it any better! Thanks for the clarification too :-)

Watch this sprint video

Carrier
    Stock

Just an OTA update to enable it, and yes for the N5.
    Interesting. Look at the sprint support site

It shows that the most recent update is KRT49H, dated 12/9/2013, but the article was last updated on 3/10/14. Weird.
    Hopefully there is really is an update being pushed out, but as you said, given that there are no articles/posts from anyone who has received this, I'm not buying it
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    Interesting. Look at the sprint support site

It shows that the most recent update is KRT49H, dated 12/9/2013, but the article was last updated on 3/10/14. Weird.
    Hopefully there is really is an update being pushed out, but as you said, given that there are no articles/posts from anyone who has received this, I'm not buying it
    I hope its not related to 4.4.3!

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Says nothing about Spark but thanks lol...

Says nothing about Spark but thanks lol...

Yeah I know I'm also concerned we haven't got an actual confirmation from Google about spark or anything related to it.

The only information I gathered was that the Update for the LG G2 radios should be similar to the N5 radios update since they are both internally similar. But LG controls the G2 updates as where the N5 updates are controlled by Google. So we are hoping to see our spark radio updates on 4.4.3 but Its only hope without confirmation.

I was able to connect to band 41 with my nexus 5 for a few weeks in San Antonio. I would just need to do a PRL update after I enabled the bands. Now it won't work anymore. I do a PRL or profile update and it would connect for a few seconds, then drop to 3g. Is there a way to fix this? Hopefully the new update will be out soon.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Watch this sprint video
    after all these years with Sprint I really think they need to get out of the wireless business and into the advertising and marketing business... I think they spend more time, effort and money on little video's like this and telling us about "Network Vision" and "Framily" vs actually making what has had the potential of being a really great network....... I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area and they list DFW as "Spark" enabled... I have it enabled on my 32 gig Nexus 5 and I can say I am seeing slight improvements.... LTE in a few spots where I use to not.... but it still does not seem like their network/towers can handle much...I go to work at 6 in the morning and I get an LTE signal and average speeds.. nothing to brag about.... by 9 am my LTE signal will actually go away and it will default back down to 3G and grinds to a halt it's so freaking slow.... and I don't move.. I sit at a desk all day... but as the parking lot starts to fill up the signal gets worse and the speeds get worse too.... and I work right at DFW international airport... Not like I am somewhere in the sticks.... One of the busier airports in the country... They CLAIM LTE and Spark coverage every where around where I work but it minimal at best.....
    griff7774 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie317 View Post
    after all these years with Sprint I really think they need to get out of the wireless business and into the advertising and marketing business... I think they spend more time, effort and money on little video's like this and telling us about "Network Vision" and "Framily" vs actually making what has had the potential of being a really great network....... I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area and they list DFW as "Spark" enabled... I have it enabled on my 32 gig Nexus 5 and I can say I am seeing slight improvements.... LTE in a few spots where I use to not.... but it still does not seem like their network/towers can handle much...I go to work at 6 in the morning and I get an LTE signal and average speeds.. nothing to brag about.... by 9 am my LTE signal will actually go away and it will default back down to 3G and grinds to a halt it's so freaking slow.... and I don't move.. I sit at a desk all day... but as the parking lot starts to fill up the signal gets worse and the speeds get worse too.... and I work right at DFW international airport... Not like I am somewhere in the sticks.... One of the busier airports in the country... They CLAIM LTE and Spark coverage every where around where I work but it minimal at best.....
    The problem is not the network. Is the nexus 5. We have an unlocked phone and for that reason we are paying the price right now. The nexus 5 has the hardware to access the true spark LTE band 41 2300mhz but even if its enabled on your particular phone is not configured to latch on to it. Some Nexus 5 owners on Sprint have reported that the 4.4.0 version of kit Kat (with the.15 radio modems) has the ability to latch on to band 41 and hold it, getting speeds of 40+ mbps. So the problem here is that LG had to fix and get the radio modems right thru software just like they did with the LG G2 which is similar in hardware.

So we N5 owners are waiting for an update which the G2 already got except because our phones are unlocked we don't get our updates from LG or Sprint, they come from Google. So Google will most likely get us this radio update on the 4.4.3 update.

I read an article which said something like Spark is going to be a combination of bands and Sprint hasnt yet sold the phones for it because it's still a future concept. I know some have gotten good speeds on band 41 already, but that would only be a rudimentary form of the Spark to come. But with Sprint, good service is always "to come", never now.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    jj14x likes this.

The problem is not the network. Is the nexus 5. We have an unlocked phone and for that reason we are paying the price right now. The nexus 5 has the hardware to access the true spark LTE band 41 2300mhz but even if its enabled on your particular phone is not configured to latch on to it. Some Nexus 5 owners on Sprint have reported that the 4.4.0 version of kit Kat (with the.15 radio modems) has the ability to latch on to band 41 and hold it, getting speeds of 40+ mbps. So the problem here is that LG had to fix and get the radio modems right thru software just like they did with the LG G2 which is similar in hardware.

So we N5 owners are waiting for an update which the G2 already got except because our phones are unlocked we don't get our updates from LG or Sprint, they come from Google. So Google will most likely get us this radio update on the 4.4.3 update.
    It's not the Nexus 5... I've been with Sprint for ages now... I went through the HTC EVO 4G Wi-Max promises... The next Generation HTC EVO 4G LTE promises.... and I live in a pretty large major metro area.... I live, work and play in the heart of Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas... The firmware updates come directly from Google but the PRL and Profile updates come directly from Sprint not Google and those more than anything control your radio's, But there are tweaks to the firmware directly from Google that can help improve things......... Overall Sprints blanket network is just horrendous... My wife has the HTC One (2013) and both of my daughters have iPhone 5S and regardless of "Spark" the LTE coverage in and around DFW is horrendous and spotty at best.... and not just Dallas... We travel to visit Family in Nashville, TN and Raleigh, NC and there are HOT SPOTS but overall the LTE coverage is very spotty.... Heck I get LTE in my living room (Front of my house) but if I go out in the back yard the LTE signal drops back to 3G..... I know if I am going to text a picture to go stand in my living room or in the front yard... if I am in the back yard and it drops to 3G it will error and not send.. My wife and daughters know this as well.... and my house is only 1,500 square feet and one story... but that small distance is a major difference in Sprints coverage.......... Google or Sprint and tweak the radio or firmware all they want but if the towers are not fully upgraded and the "Network Vision" upgrades they keep talking about (have been talking about) are not up to snuff it won't matter at all..... My best friend has a Nexus 5 as well and on AT&T and without any "SPARK" coverage he gets LTE everywhere we go and even his 3G coverage dominates my Sprint LTE coverage........ I've thought about switching to AT&T.... My line is still locked to the EVO 4G LTE until May..... before the smart phone crazy Sprints network for regular calls was just fine..... (I've been with Sprint since the 1990's) but their data coverage is just not up to snuff....
    jvai likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie317 View Post
    It's not the Nexus 5... I've been with Sprint for ages now... I went through the HTC EVO 4G Wi-Max promises... The next Generation HTC EVO 4G LTE promises.... and I live in a pretty large major metro area.... I live, work and play in the heart of Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas... The firmware updates come directly from Google but the PRL and Profile updates come directly from Sprint not Google and those more than anything control your radio's, But there are tweaks to the firmware directly from Google that can help improve things......... Overall Sprints blanket network is just horrendous... My wife has the HTC One (2013) and both of my daughters have iPhone 5S and regardless of "Spark" the LTE coverage in and around DFW is horrendous and spotty at best.... and not just Dallas... We travel to visit Family in Nashville, TN and Raleigh, NC and there are HOT SPOTS but overall the LTE coverage is very spotty.... Heck I get LTE in my living room (Front of my house) but if I go out in the back yard the LTE signal drops back to 3G..... I know if I am going to text a picture to go stand in my living room or in the front yard... if I am in the back yard and it drops to 3G it will error and not send.. My wife and daughters know this as well.... and my house is only 1,500 square feet and one story... but that small distance is a major difference in Sprints coverage.......... Google or Sprint and tweak the radio or firmware all they want but if the towers are not fully upgraded and the "Network Vision" upgrades they keep talking about (have been talking about) are not up to snuff it won't matter at all..... My best friend has a Nexus 5 as well and on AT&T and without any "SPARK" coverage he gets LTE everywhere we go and even his 3G coverage dominates my Sprint LTE coverage........ I've thought about switching to AT&T.... My line is still locked to the EVO 4G LTE until May..... before the smart phone crazy Sprints network for regular calls was just fine..... (I've been with Sprint since the 1990's) but their data coverage is just not up to snuff....
    PRL stands for preffered roaming list and only take effect while roaming, something that should concern most rural customers. The current PRL's and profile updates are proving to work on other spark phones.

get me tell you my experience, I live in NYC and I am also suffering the same issues you are. I have been with Sprint since I was inherited from nextel. Sprint service is horrible compared to other networks at this time. As of two months ago I was under contract with a family plan which made the situation of different end dates complicated to leave Sprint. I also moved into a new house and suddenly my service got worse with little to no signal and dropped calls. I thought it was the thick walls, but when my in laws would come over to the house their service was fair with T-Mobile. Most of the time I relied on WiFi hotspots more than LTE. About 3 months ago my father in laws got himself a new Nexus 5 from TM and comes over to my house. I ran a speed test on it and got 26mbps average on LTE. I was getting 3mbps average on LTE at my house with Sprint.

All of this made me very frustrated as you seem to be now. But that frustration led me to investigate and analyze technically why we have to endure such lousy service and pay so much for it. What I learned was that Sprint's 1900 MHz PCS band is only 10 MHz wide and with the current rise in smartphone usage that band got crowded really fast and voice signal went down with it. Then I learned how VZ and ATT had the advantage when it came to call reception and LTE, their lower and wider 700 MHz bands had the power to go further and penetrate deeper thru walls (less spotty). Then I learned how TM's 1700 MHz bands were 20 MHz wide and less crowded than the rest of the carriers which explained why my in-laws had better service. (But they did complain how TM 1700 MHz service is also spotty)

So I guess Sprint had to go when my contract is over. Not really, why? Rule of thumb is lower frequencies travel further and penetrate better thru walls but LTE speeds are slower while higher frequencies cover a smaller area but LTE speeds are faster (kinda like WiFi) and Sprint has all three bands B26, B25, B41, and currently hold the most bandwith combined. Sprint now has the spectrum advantage. I then read how Sprint has a new wealthy owner from Japan who is pretty determined to be number #1 and has the experience to turn a cell carrier to succeed. That's when I personally decided to wait on Spark. The nexus 5 has proved to work on Spark with past Kit kat updates but has screwed it up with the current one (4.4.2). My friend has an LG G2 and his average speeds on spark are 45mbps.

Carrier
    Stock

Sprint has all three bands B26, B25, B41, and currently hold the most bandwith combined. Sprint now has the spectrum advantage. I then read how Sprint has a new wealthy owner from Japan who is pretty determined to be number #1 and has the experience to turn a cell carrier to succeed.
    They may have the spectrum advantage, but remember that for Sprint to actually use that advantage, they have to be able to transmit/receive all three bands on a majority of their towers. Knowing how slow Sprint is usually to upgrade their network (claiming DFW LTE active over a year before major cities in the DFW area actually got ANY LTE connectivity), I am not holding my breath for that to happen. They already claim (on their coverage maps) that my home area is under Spark coverage. And no, it isn't.
    Oh, and BTW, with Spark, it doesn't mean that the phone will get all 3 bands at the same time - it will just prioritize one band. So be it 26/25 or 41, the phone will only get one (hopefully the least crowded)

Till a few months ago, Sprint was the most cost effective carrier for me (SERO plans). But now, T-Mo, ATT (and even Verizon) match or beat that price. I will not move to Verizon (because they don't have a Nexus device), but I really have nothing holding me to Sprint anymore. I'm out of contract, have a unlocked Nexus...

Just a month ago, their CSFB issues screwed things up so bad that I called in to disconnect my line. This was not just CSFB, but a total screw up because my phone would connect to LTE, with an excellent signal, but would simply not let me make/receive any calls. It should have parked on 3g instead, giving me lower data speeds, but at least let me make/receive calls - but not.... it decided to throw my voice connectivity out. Thankfully, I noticed that I was getting voicemails with no apparent incoming calls, and I switched the radio to 3g only to fix the issue. Thankfully, they fixed it in a few days.

I'm still with them for now.Their customer service has been pretty good and helpful. Their network support/expansion? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    But with Sprint, good service is always "to come", never now.
    You stole the words right out of my mouth!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast