Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By RionDunn
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By crxssi
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: What's with my battery usage?

Hey all!

I was looking at my battery usage for the day and noticed this weird black line going from top to bottom of the chart. I was wondering if anyone knows what this is?
    Is it stating an interruption in the battery graph or something unknown? I can't figure it out. Attached is a screen shot of it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 5: What's with my battery usage?-1395778864593.jpg  

Global Posts
    25,327 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: What's with the...

Normally means a reboot/shutdown.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Normally means a reboot/shutdown.
    Ah yes! That makes total sense! I usually power cycle my phone everyday. Thanks for the clarification!

Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    25,327 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post
    Ah yes! That makes total sense! I usually power cycle my phone everyday. Thanks for the clarification!

No sweat. See you around the forums.
    Also, if you like to power cycle once per day, and charge your device at night, reboot right before you go to bed and charge. When you pull off the charger, it will refresh the battery stats, and you shouldn't see your daily power cycle.

Then, if you see any lines like that power cycle, you know it's not from your habit.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    Thanked by:
    gidgiddonihah and B. Diddy like this.

You sure have lots of green! Coverage in my area sucks so my battery life takes a hit. I'm usually almost all yellow and gray. The only green is freeway driving.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,831 Global Posts

Ah yes! That makes total sense! I usually power cycle my phone everyday.
    Different topic, but I don't think rebooting the phone every day is necessary. In fact, in the two months I have had the Nexus 5, I think I have only rebooted it 2 times, total. Of course, it is your phone, do what you like
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    You sure have lots of green! Coverage in my area sucks so my battery life takes a hit. I'm usually almost all yellow and gray. The only green is freeway driving.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    What I actually did was disable LTE. I went to settings and switch mobile network to 3G. I still get 4G as a result if available. I find it works just fine, and the network is fast! Try it and you may have better coverage and possibly better battery life.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Different topic, but I don't think rebooting the phone every day is necessary. In fact, in the two months I have had the Nexus 5, I think I have only rebooted it 2 times, total. Of course, it is your phone, do what you like
    I find like it gives me optimal performance if I do so. Just like a PC would. I notice little lag times and small things if I don't. It's really just hit and miss.

Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,831 Global Posts

I find like it gives me optimal performance if I do so. Just like a PC would. I notice little lag times and small things if I don't. It's really just hit and miss.
    PC = personal computer. My Linux "PC" runs for months and months without ever been rebooted. It is only rebooted due to a kernel or service update or if I have to change hardware inside it or something. As do my servers, routers, modems, TiVo's, etc. Never has any performance changes whatsoever. Same for all my current Android devices.. Although I did have some major issues with my Nexus 10 after an OS update and finally ended up clearing the cache partition and that solved those problems (that were causing major slowdowns and hesitation and app crashes).

I think the idea of daily or even weekly rebooting being of any real value to be invalid for most devices. Perhaps it is still true for MS-Windows, but I have never used that for anything (except occasional testing in a virtual machine and on a single old server at work for one application).
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    rrballer11 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    PC = personal computer. My Linux "PC" runs for months and months without ever been rebooted. It is only rebooted due to a kernel or service update or if I have to change hardware inside it or something. As do my servers, routers, modems, TiVo's, etc. Never has any performance changes whatsoever. Same for all my current Android devices.. Although I did have some major issues with my Nexus 10 after an OS update and finally ended up clearing the cache partition and that solved those problems (that were causing major slowdowns and hesitation and app crashes).
    I think the idea of daily or even weekly rebooting being of any real value to be invalid for most devices. Perhaps it is still true for MS-Windows, but I have never used that for anything (except occasional testing in a virtual machine and on a single old server at work for one application).
    Mine never lag either.

What I actually did was disable LTE. I went to settings and switch mobile network to 3G. I still get 4G as a result if available. I find it works just fine, and the network is fast! Try it and you may have better coverage and possibly better battery life.

Just because it shows LTE, doesn't mean it is using LTE. When throttled by T-Mobile for instance, it shows a strong LTE signal but is only receiving 2G speeds.