Bye Nexus 5 :(

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
8) Enable dark mode for any apps you can, and set your background to a non-live dark background. (Bright/lighter colors suck more battery. It's minor, but it does help).

All of your advice is valid except the above. On an LCD screen, it doesn't matter at all what is being displayed, only how bright the backlight is. Your advice *IS* valid on an OLED screen, but that is not what we are using (thank goodness). A live background, however, will suck more battery, so those should be avoided.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
All of your advice is valid except the above. On an LCD screen, it doesn't matter at all what is being displayed, only how bright the backlight is. Your advice *IS* valid on an OLED screen, but that is not what we are using (thank goodness). A live background, however, will suck more battery, so those should be avoided.
Ahh, good to know. I came from a GNex.

I prefer the dark screen anyway :)

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you constantly doing stuff on it? Or is it stuff in the background?

I get 2-3 days of use on a charge, depending on where I am and what I'm doing. I'm hot a heavy user by any means though. I often see 20-30% drain at work when I tend to use it most. Currently I'm at 53% of my charge with 1 day, 4 hours and 22 minutes off charger. Overnight I get 2-5% drainage with the phone radio on.

Honestly, any phone runs better if you streamline your usage a bit. Your processor isn't doing as much, your battery lasts longer (which is good for the battery), and your phone is more likely to be ready for you to rock when you need it.

Stuff I do:
1) Turn on ART. HUGE Idle battery saver.
2) Turn off "OK Google" responce. Huge battery drain.
3) Leave it on 3G when not using the internet. Even with a good signal, 4G drains the battery more, and what's the point if you're not using it. (Note, this would be easier of someone made a widget that made it easy, so I understand not wanting to do it).
4) Set the GPS to battery saving when not in use. For everything short of driving directions, that's good enough.
5) Space out any automated data synchs. Do you really need a facebook and email update within minutes of it happening? Do you even need your email auto-synched at all? (I have them all set to on demand, which takes a whole 30-60 seconds extra load time to pull down, even on 3G).
6) Turn off Google Now (I don't have it off, and I get amazing battery life out of the N5).
7) Set screen brightness to auto. Screen is the biggest battery suck, only so much you can do here.
8) Enable dark mode for any apps you can, and set your background to a non-live dark background. (Bright/lighter colors suck more battery. It's minor, but it does help).
9) Install Greenify (if you have root), and let it suspend any apps you know you don't need and don't want to take over in the background (Many games can "stick" open and running).
10) Use Wifi, have all your updates/backups that are automated happen on wifi only. Turn off Wifi (and BT) when not in use.

Now, admittedly, your usage and mine might vary, but this is the longest I've ever had a smart phone battery last.

With that setup, I can get 2 days (pull it off the charger 1 day, put it back on the next) of use on the phone with between 1-3 hours of screen time, and often 20-40% when I put it back on the charger.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net...=01235502c735ae54411cbdbe46a01517&oe=533A5757

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net...=6480989139cdf467203242900cc53319&oe=533A6C07

I want a phone that works around me.... Not me needing work on making the phone work for me.

One of the things I loved was just saying OK Google and got it to work.

Hopefully they put in a better battery in the nexus 6 or whatever they want to call it. I also might consider a Samsung galaxy s5 Google play edition if they make that. And before the m8 comes up I think the ultra pixel camera is a dud

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
To the OP, I can certainly understand why the Nexus 5 isn't the phone for you. It isn't for everyone. Some of the shortcomings of the device you mentioned can be explained in the facts that it is stock Android which won't include a lot of the features that other Android manufacturers will include out of the box. You may be able to get these features through apps or rooting, but you are right in saying that it really won't be optimized for that device or the network. I think us Nexus users also make certain concessions because of the price of the device. When you are paying $350-$400 for a device off contract, it is hard to complain about a few features that aren't included. I hope you are able to find a device that fits your needs.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, I can certainly understand why the Nexus 5 isn't the phone for you. It isn't for everyone. Some of the shortcomings of the device you mentioned can be explained in the facts that it is stock Android which won't include a lot of the features that other Android manufacturers will include out of the box. You may be able to get these features through apps or rooting, but you are right in saying that it really won't be optimized for that device or the network. I think us Nexus users also make certain concessions because of the price of the device. When you are paying $350-$400 for a device off contract, it is hard to complain about a few features that aren't included. I hope you are able to find a device that fits your needs.

TBH if I am spending more then $200 on any device I want it the way i want without making concessions.... The Note 3 has the battery life and I have been a Happy Samsung user for years starting with the s2 Skyrocket. Probably will get a Nexus 5 around next September or whenever I can find it cheaper (new) as a backup phone

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
TBH if I am spending more then $200 on any device I want it the way i want without making concessions.... The Note 3 has the battery life and I have been a Happy Samsung user for years starting with the s2 Skyrocket. Probably will get a Nexus 5 around next September or whenever I can find it cheaper (new) as a backup phone

Are you certain that's reasonable? High end smartphones (devices that have very few compromises) cost upwards of $600-$950.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
That's not reasonable at all and those devices all have compromises as well; different ones maybe but compromises all the same.

IMO the only way the N5 loses to the competition is of one of its' compromises is a deal breaker (if you need best in class camera or battery life for example).

The new One M8 is $640 from AT&T; the $240 I saved with the N5 covers a multitude of sins. As always, YMMV

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
That's not reasonable at all and those devices all have compromises as well; different ones maybe but compromises all the same.

IMO the only way the N5 loses to the competition is of one of its' compromises is a deal breaker (if you need best in class camera or battery life for example).

The new One M8 is $640 from AT&T; the $240 I saved with the N5 covers a multitude of sins. As always, YMMV

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

There really isn't any concessions I made buying the note 3. I liked the nexus 5, faster updates and naked Android but I also like TouchWiz, and don't mind the slower updates since these updates make sure the features work and carrier branded features work as well like wifi calling

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I am at 5 hours and 20 minutes of screen time on N5 with 13 hours of stand by, 11% left on battery. I think it's pretty impressive for battery.

T-Mobile also has free cell-fi, not just wifi-calling by the way

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I am at 5 hours and 20 minutes of screen time on N5 with 13 hours of stand by, 11% left on battery. I think it's pretty impressive for battery.

I also think that the battery life isn't bad at all. I can last an entire work day easy with about 50 percent left. That is all I need and then some.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I also think that the battery life isn't bad at all. I can last an entire work day easy with about 50 percent left. That is all I need and then some.

I was lucky to get 7 hours..... Had to turn on airplane mode for me to get enough juice to last a day.... I wanted a phone as I said before where I didn't need to do that and the note 3 does that

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Its all about screen on time....in just stand by I can probably get a month lol :) last time i checked I was at 61% before sleep and 8-9 hours later at 60%, 1% drop over night.

now at 14 hours stand by and almost 6 hours on screen with 6% left

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So....what are you planning on replacing it with? Almost any device you replace it with will feel sluggish, in comparison to the Nexus 5.

Why is that? My Note 3 is definitely not sluggish :what:.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
That was just a metaphor. Inasmuch as I also own the Note 3, my Nexus 5 feels much smoother.

The note 3 with 3gb of ram isn't sluggish at all and reviews have even said so. Just look at technobuffalo review where he says he isn't a fan of TouchWiz and feels there is no lag.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I already have the free cel-fi and no wifi calling wasn't a deal breaker but just a factor. I would of dealt with it if the battery life was better. I simply had to turn airplane mode just so I can last all day..... There is also other people saying battery life isn't the best so I am not alone on this....

Raypundo

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Only a few months with the Nexus 5 myself, but I did have bad battery life for a while. Out of the box it was great, and over the week by the time I got it all loaded and connected to various accounts it would lose ~60% over 8 hours at work.

Read various things like the list above to see what I could do. Mostly on this site, thanks!

Turned off Facebook from updating, now I have had like 36 hours with 30% remaining.

I would hardly call that having to make the phone work around me, I installed the app that sucked it dry, I made it do that stuff (well, maybe some blame on Facebook...). My fault though, not the phones.

Honestly do what makes you happy. I just wanted to offer a counterpoint to those who might read this thread about battery life and assume the phone is garbage. I was in your boat before but with one click I had things fixed (from something that I inflicted on the phone).

No single item in the world will work for every person. I just had to rescue my grandmother-in-law today on her Samsung phone because everything was using cellular data for background data! Damn those Samsung phones, always using more data than the Nexus... ;)

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I already have the free cel-fi and no wifi calling wasn't a deal breaker but just a factor. I would of dealt with it if the battery life was better. I simply had to turn airplane mode just so I can last all day..... There is also other people saying battery life isn't the best so I am not alone on this....

Something must be wrong with your phone or the way you use it. I finished my day with 15 hours of standby and 6 hrs of screen one time, this also includes several phone calls. Auto brightness, WiFi ON and connected, on LTE network, with all Google syncs, Google Now, 2 weather widgets, tasker, lightflow, LMT launcher, Whatsup all running in background, WiFi in always ON scanning mode for location access, etc. I have Facebook and Google+ installed by sync for them is OFF. I am on stock 4.4.2 with Franco kernel.

I also have Moto X which has amazing battery out of the box, but the difference between my N5 and MX is about 30-50 minutes of screen ON time, thats it.

Screenshot_2014-03-31-01-17-52.jpgScreenshot_2014-03-31-01-17-45.jpg

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Something must be wrong with your phone or the way you use it. I finished my day with 15 hours of standby and 6 hrs of screen one time, this also includes several phone calls. Auto brightness, WiFi ON and connected, on LTE network, with all Google syncs, Google Now, 2 weather widgets, tasker, lightflow, LMT launcher, Whatsup all running in background, WiFi in always ON scanning mode for location access, etc. I have Facebook and Google+ installed by sync for them is OFF. I am on stock 4.4.2 with Franco kernel.

I also have Moto X which has amazing battery out of the box, but the difference between my N5 and MX is about 30-50 minutes of screen ON time, thats it.

View attachment 110298View attachment 110297

My Nexus 5 wasn't rooted or anything with sync on and wifi off and would last about 8 hours till it dies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781