Bye Nexus 5 :(

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I loved the phone but I found 2 issues with the phone that was a Deal breaker ( 1 was just because it is Stock android vs one optimized for T-mobile). My 2 main issues were no Wifi calling which is a must for me since I get no service in my house and no removable battery + poor battery life. I don't understand why LG decided to only put in a 2300 mah battery in there when the Galaxy s4 which is the same screen size has a 2600 Battery life and last a lot longer. I need a workhorse for a phone and this phone isn't it. Hopefully they Either have a removable battery or add a bigger battery in it.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
So....what are you planning on replacing it with? Almost any device you replace it with will feel sluggish, in comparison to the Nexus 5.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The upcoming VOIP calling using hangouts (rumored to be by June/July this year) should alleviate one concern. Battery life, well, not much can be done. If the N5 battery life is not enough for you, well, it is not enough.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I loved the phone but I found 2 issues with the phone that was a Deal breaker ( 1 was just because it is Stock android vs one optimized for T-mobile). My 2 main issues were no Wifi calling which is a must for me since I get no service in my house and no removable battery + poor battery life. I don't understand why LG decided to only put in a 2300 mah battery in there when the Galaxy s4 which is the same screen size has a 2600 Battery life and last a lot longer. I need a workhorse for a phone and this phone isn't it. Hopefully they Either have a removable battery or add a bigger battery in it.

1) Why did you pick a cell service that gives you no coverage at home? That just seems strange to me. I specifically checked coverage for home, work, and the places I normally go before switching from Sprint to T-Mobile.
2) You can get a signal booster that will amplify the outside signal (directionally) and repeat it for you inside. I know people that have done it (although it might not be cheap). https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10009
4) The Nexus will work with AT&T and Sprint and others, so you COULD retain the phone and switch service.
5) There is only a 13% difference in the battery sizes you are quoting- not a huge difference. And all the extra "gimmicks" on the Samsung will likely wipe that extra power away, anyway.
6) You might have other power issues totally unrelated to the hardware (it could be a rogue app or setting, and that can happen on ANY phone). ((Of course, it could also be a weak cell signal sucking all your power... and that would remain with some other phone too on the same carrier))
7) "Optimized" for T-Mobile means nothing. The only thing missing of any value is WiFi-calling (which is a shame, since there is probably no reason that can't be done with an addon app).
8) Most of the flagship phones have a fixed battery.
9) You could add a battery case if you need more juice between charges. And/or have an external battery for trips where there is no power.

Not saying the Nexus 5 is right for you... just pointing out some stuff.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
1) Why did you pick a cell service that gives you no coverage at home? That just seems strange to me. I specifically checked coverage for home, work, and the places I normally go before switching from Sprint to T-Mobile.
2) You can get a signal booster that will amplify the outside signal (directionally) and repeat it for you inside. I know people that have done it (although it might not be cheap). https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10009
4) The Nexus will work with AT&T and Sprint and others, so you COULD retain the phone and switch service.
5) There is only a 13% difference in the battery sizes you are quoting- not a huge difference. And all the extra "gimmicks" on the Samsung will likely wipe that extra power away, anyway.
6) You might have other power issues totally unrelated to the hardware (it could be a rogue app or setting, and that can happen on ANY phone). ((Of course, it could also be a weak cell signal sucking all your power... and that would remain with some other phone too on the same carrier))
7) "Optimized" for T-Mobile means nothing. The only thing missing of any value is WiFi-calling (which is a shame, since there is probably no reason that can't be done with an addon app).
8) Most of the flagship phones have a fixed battery.
9) You could add a battery case if you need more juice between charges. And/or have an external battery for trips where there is no power.

Not saying the Nexus 5 is right for you... just pointing out some stuff.

I was on AT&T and while I liked it was to expensive and t-mobile is the cheapest carrier out of the big 4. I get service with t-mobile everywhere else I go.

I have been a long time user of Samsung devices (s2, s3, s4) and happy with touch wiz and got the note 3. Even with all the "bloat" my s4 lasted a full day on a charge without having to baby the battery which is the reason why I got a note 3.

I have a signal booster from t-mobile but as I said the battery life isn't there for me and I was never a fan of non removable batteries to begin with

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

lui22

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought wifi calling would be an issue for me....And it is...Mainly because when i travel wifi calling is free...Either way i have my nexus and its taken me a while to get used to it. It still feels very chaotic compared to my Z/Q10 but hey android has always had a learning curve and thats something i need to do again. But listen the battery isnt small... you wont get a day and a half like with the Z30 but you will get your days worth if you arent constantly playing games that suck up unnecessary power.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I thought wifi calling would be an issue for me....And it is...Mainly because when i travel wifi calling is free...Either way i have my nexus and its taken me a while to get used to it. It still feels very chaotic compared to my Z/Q10 but hey android has always had a learning curve and thats something i need to do again. But listen the battery isnt small... you wont get a day and a half like with the Z30 but you will get your days worth if you arent constantly playing games that suck up unnecessary power.

I don't play a lot of games ..why I own an ipad. Battery would last maybe 8-10 hours tops of light to medium usage compared to my s4 which would last a good 12-15 hours

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
If you had ATT before and you were happy with the service, then try AIO. Slightly stubbed max data speeds. Or look into the ATT BYOD thing now it's $65 for 2gb of data and unlimited everything else.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If you had ATT before and you were happy with the service, then try AIO. Slightly stubbed max data speeds. Or look into the ATT BYOD thing now it's $65 for 2gb of data and unlimited everything else.

Unlimited data is a must for me and high speed data which is why I went with t-mobile

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's too bad. It's true that if you need a real workhorse and can't recharge easily and frequently (e.g., throwing it on a Qi charger whenever you're not using it), the Nexus 5 isn't the best choice. I would guess that LG and Google went with the average battery because of cost/value issues--remember that the phone is pretty cheap considering its overall performance.

You mentioned that you got the signal booster from T-Mobile--did that at least help with the poor home signal problem? I'm waiting for one I ordered from T-Mobile--I actually haven't had real problems with voice or data at home, but I usually only have 1-2 bars, with the signal being reported as -90 to -100, so I figured it was worth a try.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The signal booster worked great and love it and while no wifi calling was a factor the battery life for me was a deal breaker.... I have the wireless charger and loved it since I got the nexus 1 and it locks onto the device. Since I am getting the note 3 flip cover might down the road get the one with wireless charging back flip cover if they give me a discount for it

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You can't use something like GrooveIP?

Yep.... GrooveIP is a dead app walking... they have, about a month and a half left I think. Google is going to phase out the service it uses. Though, the flip side to that is that it might be that Google is just going to allow voice calls in Hangouts (using your Google Voice number).

Not that it helps the OP now.... shame

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I find battery life is an issue when you either haven't optimzed the phone as well as you could, or you're having signal issues. Easiest fix for signal issues is to turn it back to 3G when you don't need 4G (IE, when you're not actively using the phone or DLing stuff). If you idle a lot, ART helps a ton with battery life. Otherwise, reign in background stuff, which should help battery life..

I can't solve the signal/wifi calling issue though. Seems strange to get a service where you have no home coverage though.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I find battery life is an issue when you either haven't optimzed the phone as well as you could, or you're having signal issues. Easiest fix for signal issues is to turn it back to 3G when you don't need 4G (IE, when you're not actively using the phone or DLing stuff). If you idle a lot, ART helps a ton with battery life. Otherwise, reign in background stuff, which should help battery life..

I can't solve the signal/wifi calling issue though. Seems strange to get a service where you have no home coverage though.
These are good suggestions as I always turn off location services when not needed. I find using a small battery pack makes battery life a non issue regardless of which phone I use, or how hard its used. Small cheap, and works with you next phone.

I use the Seido at the hotels I stay at a couple times a week, wall charger/battery pack. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ource=vb_ac&utm_medium=content&token=IXQK3Lgq

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I personally want a phone that I don't have to do that... and the Note 3 does that for me. when I had the nexus 5 i had to turn on airplane mode during work just so i had around 40-50% of battery after work

Might Buy the nexus 5 again later whenever there is a sale just to have a backup phone but I needed a workhorse for a phone as my daily driver

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The upcoming VOIP calling using hangouts (rumored to be by June/July this year) should alleviate one concern. Battery life, well, not much can be done. If the N5 battery life is not enough for you, well, it is not enough.

We should be getting 4.4.3 Kit Kat any day now that has a few battery fixing updates in it.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I personally want a phone that I don't have to do that... and the Note 3 does that for me. when I had the nexus 5 i had to turn on airplane mode during work just so i had around 40-50% of battery after work
Are you constantly doing stuff on it? Or is it stuff in the background?

I get 2-3 days of use on a charge, depending on where I am and what I'm doing. I'm hot a heavy user by any means though. I often see 20-30% drain at work when I tend to use it most. Currently I'm at 53% of my charge with 1 day, 4 hours and 22 minutes off charger. Overnight I get 2-5% drainage with the phone radio on.

Honestly, any phone runs better if you streamline your usage a bit. Your processor isn't doing as much, your battery lasts longer (which is good for the battery), and your phone is more likely to be ready for you to rock when you need it.

Stuff I do:
1) Turn on ART. HUGE Idle battery saver.
2) Turn off "OK Google" responce. Huge battery drain.
3) Leave it on 3G when not using the internet. Even with a good signal, 4G drains the battery more, and what's the point if you're not using it. (Note, this would be easier of someone made a widget that made it easy, so I understand not wanting to do it).
4) Set the GPS to battery saving when not in use. For everything short of driving directions, that's good enough.
5) Space out any automated data synchs. Do you really need a facebook and email update within minutes of it happening? Do you even need your email auto-synched at all? (I have them all set to on demand, which takes a whole 30-60 seconds extra load time to pull down, even on 3G).
6) Turn off Google Now (I don't have it off, and I get amazing battery life out of the N5).
7) Set screen brightness to auto. Screen is the biggest battery suck, only so much you can do here.
8) Enable dark mode for any apps you can, and set your background to a non-live dark background. (Bright/lighter colors suck more battery. It's minor, but it does help).
9) Install Greenify (if you have root), and let it suspend any apps you know you don't need and don't want to take over in the background (Many games can "stick" open and running).
10) Use Wifi, have all your updates/backups that are automated happen on wifi only. Turn off Wifi (and BT) when not in use.

Now, admittedly, your usage and mine might vary, but this is the longest I've ever had a smart phone battery last.

With that setup, I can get 2 days (pull it off the charger 1 day, put it back on the next) of use on the phone with between 1-3 hours of screen time, and often 20-40% when I put it back on the charger.

10003237_670662743000184_716739046_n.jpg

10003354_670662706333521_630808306_n.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante