Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

Default Re: Bye Nexus 5 :(

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    In addition to the Note 3, I would say that the LG G2 is a good choice if you want long battery life in your phone. LG makes both the Nexus 5 and the G2, but it decided to put the bigger battery in the G2.
    I would of looked at the G2 but I don't like that the headphone slot is on the bottom ( not a deal breaker though) and the buttons on the back (just don't like them)

Sent from my SM-N900T
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- Verizon
    Motorola Droid Turbo - Verizon
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- t-mobile
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32GB Wifi
    Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3- T-mobile
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    ROM
    LG's 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    1) Why did you pick a cell service that gives you no coverage at home? That just seems strange to me. I specifically checked coverage for home, work, and the places I normally go before switching from Sprint to T-Mobile.
    2) You can get a signal booster that will amplify the outside signal (directionally) and repeat it for you inside. I know people that have done it (although it might not be cheap). https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10009
    4) The Nexus will work with AT&T and Sprint and others, so you COULD retain the phone and switch service.
    5) There is only a 13% difference in the battery sizes you are quoting- not a huge difference. And all the extra "gimmicks" on the Samsung will likely wipe that extra power away, anyway.
    6) You might have other power issues totally unrelated to the hardware (it could be a rogue app or setting, and that can happen on ANY phone). ((Of course, it could also be a weak cell signal sucking all your power... and that would remain with some other phone too on the same carrier))
    7) "Optimized" for T-Mobile means nothing. The only thing missing of any value is WiFi-calling (which is a shame, since there is probably no reason that can't be done with an addon app).
    8) Most of the flagship phones have a fixed battery.
    9) You could add a battery case if you need more juice between charges. And/or have an external battery for trips where there is no power.

Not saying the Nexus 5 is right for you... just pointing out some stuff.
    1) If he was anything like my family he probably had it in an area that got FANTASTIC coverage (like 4GLTE everywhere, rarely deadspots) (we have T-Mobile; I'm on my mother's plan) and then moved into an area where the cell coverage sucks and is stuck in the contract OR the other service providers are too expensive for his budget to move and therefore stuck in the contract/non-contract.

2) T-Mobile offers those? Good to know...

3) You missed 3...lol

4) That is true, but not if he purchased it directly from T-Mobile. If he did, then the OP is screwed. Most likely carrier locked like all other phones purchased directly from them.

5) It may not seem like a huge difference but that small difference is the reason why I will not be purchasing the Nexus 5 when I currently own the S4. That 13% could be the difference in 2-4hr battery life, at minimum...so while the percentages are small the actual life of the battery potentially tells the whole story. Plus, I'm sure it isn't just the battery life, like the OP stated, he has issues with the non-removable part of the battery. Another reason why I won't be purchasing it.

6) It could be a number of things. If the OP wants to return the phone/sell it, that's on him. & Android just seems to buggy for me to actually put up with those stupid issues...Not sure if I will be sticking with it for much longer after the iPhone 6 comes out.

7) I agree, it is a shame that there isn't an addon app that T-Mobile could make specifically for it's carrier service...yes more bloatware but people would use it! It would actually be useful bloatware. Lol

8) Most: yes. All: no. Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, and now S5 all do not. As far as I know some overseas flagships do not as well.

9) That is true, always an option.
    Current Carrier: T-Mobile (all phones are carrier locked) || Current Phone: LG G3 rooted || Previous Phone: Galaxy S4
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Quote Originally Posted by DudeThatsErin View Post
    1) If he was anything like my family he probably had it in an area that got FANTASTIC coverage (like 4GLTE everywhere, rarely deadspots) (we have T-Mobile; I'm on my mother's plan) and then moved into an area where the cell coverage sucks and is stuck in the contract OR the other service providers are too expensive for his budget to move and therefore stuck in the contract/non-contract.

2) T-Mobile offers those? Good to know...

3) You missed 3...lol

4) That is true, but not if he purchased it directly from T-Mobile. If he did, then the OP is screwed. Most likely carrier locked like all other phones purchased directly from them.

5) It may not seem like a huge difference but that small difference is the reason why I will not be purchasing the Nexus 5 when I currently own the S4. That 13% could be the difference in 2-4hr battery life, at minimum...so while the percentages are small the actual life of the battery potentially tells the whole story. Plus, I'm sure it isn't just the battery life, like the OP stated, he has issues with the non-removable part of the battery. Another reason why I won't be purchasing it.

6) It could be a number of things. If the OP wants to return the phone/sell it, that's on him. & Android just seems to buggy for me to actually put up with those stupid issues...Not sure if I will be sticking with it for much longer after the iPhone 6 comes out.

7) I agree, it is a shame that there isn't an addon app that T-Mobile could make specifically for it's carrier service...yes more bloatware but people would use it! It would actually be useful bloatware. Lol

8) Most: yes. All: no. Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, and now S5 all do not. As far as I know some overseas flagships do not as well.

9) That is true, always an option.

1) I Have no reception in my house and do have a signal booster but with Wifi calling i can be anywhere like say a friends house where if i get no cellphone service there i can just use wifi calling which is rare but I like the option.

T-mobile offers it as a rental where it is Free to use but if you destroy it or don't send it back if you cancel your service they will charge the payment method you provided for them to charge for shipping ($6.99 + tax on shipping)

2)I purchased from Google play store and had AT&T and moved to t-mobile well because it was cheaper plain and simple. I loved AT&T but I primarily use my phone mostly for texting and Data usage and barely call people ( maybe i use 10-60 minutes a month ?) and no way i am paying for that much data (around 6-10GB ) for just data usage really.

3) MY note 3 easily lasts 2 days of my usage with gps, wifi , data and high brightness all on during the day compared to around 10-11 hours till about 5-15% battery left with the nexus 5

4) optimized means everything because I want WIFI calling , I actually miss the IR blaster on my Galaxy s4 when i had my nexus 5 , and I liked the camera app better on the s4 and note 3.

5) Those fixed phone batterys I just won't buy if the battery isn't good enough to power my phone the way i want it

6) i have a battery pack but that is just another thing to charge.... I want the phone to last me a whole day without me having to manage it and the Note 3 achieves that and then some

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    I would of looked at the G2 but I don't like that the headphone slot is on the bottom ( not a deal breaker though) and the buttons on the back (just don't like them)
    That's fair. The design of the LG G2 is probably not for everyone. In that case, the Note 3 on T-Mobile is probably your best choice until maybe the Note 4 comes out. Google will probably try to come up with an alternative to wifi calling, but we have no idea if and when that will be available. As for battery life, that will always be a problem. Maybe they'll put a bigger battery on the next Nexus phone.

Sent from my SM-N900T
    Coming from a GNex, where I thought that was weird, I've found that it was actually a really useful thing to have. It makes grabbing the device in a pocket more natural, and got the headphone cable out of the way more. I'm mildly annoyed the N5 doesn't have it that way..
    Nexus 5 on Sprint
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    Coming from a GNex, where I thought that was weird, I've found that it was actually a really useful thing to have. It makes grabbing the device in a pocket more natural, and got the headphone cable out of the way more. I'm mildly annoyed the N5 doesn't have it that way..
    More natural? Not really whatever that means I just take it out. And with headphones jack on the bottom I would now I have to place phone upside down and then pull it out every time I want to change volume

Sent from my SM-N900T
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- Verizon
    Motorola Droid Turbo - Verizon
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- t-mobile
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32GB Wifi
    Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3- T-mobile
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    I'm mildly annoyed the N5 doesn't have it that way..
    This issue is not exclusive to the Nexus 5, but I like having the headphone jack on the bottom with the USB port so that if I connect wires to both of them at the same time, the wires are coming out from one direction. This is particularly useful if you have your phone in a car dock. All the wires just go straight down if your phone is in a portrait orientation. It's not a huge problem with the Nexus 5, but I agree it can be annoying sometimes.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

This issue is not exclusive to the Nexus 5, but I like having the headphone jack on the bottom with the USB port so that if I connect wires to both of them at the same time, the wires are coming out from one direction. This is particularly useful if you have your phone in a car dock. All the wires just go straight down if your phone is in a portrait orientation. It's not a huge problem with the Nexus 5, but I agree it can be annoying sometimes.
    Meh I have my phone in my pocket and its annoying that way

Meh I have my phone in my pocket and its annoying that way
    That's a fair point. I think we can agree that the worst place to have a headphone jack is on the side.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  

That's a fair point. I think we can agree that the worst place to have a headphone jack is on the side.
    Yup or the back or front

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

Went to the Amusement Park today.. And N5's camera wasn't that good. I've had to challenges with it 1) Slow start up 2) And Annoying Exposure( Metering on this device is a nightmare) other than that it's pretty OK.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrockett View Post
    Went to the Amusement Park today.. And N5's camera wasn't that good. I've had to challenges with it 1) Slow start up 2) And Annoying Exposure( Metering on this device is a nightmare) other than that it's pretty OK.
    That's unusual. Your Nexus 5 has had all of its system updates, right? There was one late last year that really improved the camera. My camera starts up quickly, and I've not encountered any exposure issues, either indoors or outdoors. HDR+ also helps even things out as well.

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    That's unusual. Your Nexus 5 has had all of its system updates, right? There was one late last year that really improved the camera. My camera starts up quickly, and I've not encountered any exposure issues, either indoors or outdoors. HDR+ also helps even things out as well.
    Yeah December update significantly improved N5's camera performance but it's still behind major flagships. I mean it takes good pictures no doubt but the camera functionality is terrible.

The metering on N5 isn't perfect.. From time to time you'll end up with pictures like that.. This consider to be a major drawback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bye Nexus 5 :(-captures.jpg  

I have to be honest, I don't see a huge difference between those two shots. Sure, I can see a bit more detail of the ground in the iPhone shot, but it's hardly a quantum leap better. Maybe it's just the monitor I'm using to view.

Posted via Android Central App
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123