Bye Nexus 5 :(

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 5 wasn't rooted or anything with sync on and wifi off and would last about 8 hours till it dies.

What people keep telling you is that it is not the phone battery or design. The N5 battery is just as good as any other similarly speced phone. There is something peculiar about your environment, how you have the settings, what you loaded, or you just plain have a defective phone. Granted, figuring out what is exactly doing wrong can be difficult. But your are essentially claiming the N5 has a poor battery and/or generally poor battery life, and that is simply not the case. In similar setups and conditions (and carrier), it should provide a similar life as a Samsung G4, a Moto X, a Sony Experia Z, or an HTC One. Comparing it to a Note 3 (which is a phablet) with a huge 3.2 Ah battery is not a fair comparison.

I will echo what everyone else is pretty much telling you.... my N5 has considerably better battery life than any phone I have ever had, including the Evo LTE it just replaced. On days I carry it but don't use it, when I get home from work after 9 hours, it used about 5%. If I take some pics, browse a bit at lunch, send a few texts, it might use 8% after the 9 hours. Add playing a game, more browsing, and a short few calls, it might use 15% after the 9 hours.

I have Google Now off, "OK Google" off, syncing Gmail/contacts on (all other sync off), WiFi ON and connected all day (at 2 to 3 bars), 4G LTE ON (with 1 to 2 bars), bluetooth ON, location on battery save mode, NFC ON, no social media apps, and brightness on auto.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
What people keep telling you is that it is not the phone battery or design. The N5 battery is just as good as any other similarly speced phone. There is something peculiar about your environment, how you have the settings, what you loaded, or you just plain have a defective phone. Granted, figuring out what is exactly doing wrong can be difficult. But your are essentially claiming the N5 has a poor battery and/or generally poor battery life, and that is simply not the case. In similar setups and conditions (and carrier), it should provide a similar life as a Samsung G4, a Moto X, a Sony Experia Z, or an HTC One. Comparing it to a Note 3 (which is a phablet) with a huge 3.2 Ah battery is not a fair comparison.

I will echo what everyone else is pretty much telling you.... my N5 has considerably better battery life than any phone I have ever had, including the Evo LTE it just replaced. On days I carry it but don't use it, when I get home from work after 9 hours, it used about 5%. If I take some pics, browse a bit at lunch, send a few texts, it might use 8% after the 9 hours. Add playing a game, more browsing, and a short few calls, it might use 15% after the 9 hours.

I have Google Now off, "OK Google" off, syncing Gmail/contacts on (all other sync off), WiFi ON and connected all day (at 2 to 3 bars), 4G LTE ON (with 1 to 2 bars), bluetooth ON, location on battery save mode, NFC ON, no social media apps, and brightness on auto.

As i have said before i Turned on Sync functions for Facebook and Etc and Google now on and wasn't going to mess around with that... I also had my Outlook Email (2 accounts) pushed to me and my other 3 email accounts synced every 15 minutes. I also had whatever the Google gmail app does by default which is pushed i believe. a 2300 mah battery i Felt low and there is plenty of articles stating the battery is on the low side as well....

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
As i have said before i Turned on Sync functions for Facebook and Etc and Google now on and wasn't going to mess around with that... I also had my Outlook Email (2 accounts) pushed to me and my other 3 email accounts synced every 15 minutes. I also had whatever the Google gmail app does by default which is pushed i believe. a 2300 mah battery i Felt low and there is plenty of articles stating the battery is on the low side as well....
That's the culprit. You have email on on three email accounts pulling every 15 minutes. I did that with just two accounts with my Note 3 and I had battery drain like crazy. Instead of using the stock email app, use the dedicated app for those email clients. You will get push email and it won't drain your device's battery.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
That's the culprit. You have email on on three email accounts pulling every 15 minutes. I did that with just two accounts with my Note 3 and I had battery drain like crazy. Instead of using the stock email app, use the dedicated app for those email clients. You will get push email and it won't drain your device's battery.

I been doing it for years since I simply prefer 1 app for all and never had a huge issue on battery life until the nexus 5. The note 3 lasts in the same conditions and a lot longer

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I been doing it for years since I simply prefer 1 app for all and never had a huge issue on battery life until the nexus 5. The note 3 lasts in the same conditions and a lot longer

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Well, it sounds like the Note 3 is the device for you.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I want a phone that works around me.... Not me needing work on making the phone work for me.
It's all a matter of perspective, but I can understand why you draw the distinction. It's also possibly somewhat environmental, as when I worked underground, my phone battery for my old feature phone wouldn't last the night when it might otherwise last for days. It's also likely the Note3 has some of the battery saving features I mentioned triggered by default. And honestly, most of what I suggested wasn't a huge deal and most of it is simply smart phone usage (streamling your battery usage is finding the best way to use your phone your way without requiring you to keep it plugged in, and can occasionally require some sacrifices.).

If you're happy, that's what's important, but the the battery on the N5 can work quite well for plenty of people.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
It's all a matter of perspective, but I can understand why you draw the distinction. It's also possibly somewhat environmental, as when I worked underground, my phone battery for my old feature phone wouldn't last the night when it might otherwise last for days. It's also likely the Note3 has some of the battery saving features I mentioned triggered by default. And honestly, most of what I suggested wasn't a huge deal and most of it is simply smart phone usage (streamling your battery usage is finding the best way to use your phone your way without requiring you to keep it plugged in, and can occasionally require some sacrifices.).

If you're happy, that's what's important, but the the battery on the N5 can work quite well for plenty of people.

Honestly I liked the nexus 5 but also liked TouchWiz and Samsung devices. I also like having brightness on 80% and while I dislike on screen buttons wouldn't be a factor in buying phones. Hopefully the next nexus phone has a bigger capacity battery because I will buy it if it does.

Sent from my SM-N900T

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I personally want a phone that I don't have to do that... and the Note 3 does that for me.

In addition to the Note 3, I would say that the LG G2 is a good choice if you want long battery life in your phone. LG makes both the Nexus 5 and the G2, but it decided to put the bigger battery in the G2.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
In addition to the Note 3, I would say that the LG G2 is a good choice if you want long battery life in your phone. LG makes both the Nexus 5 and the G2, but it decided to put the bigger battery in the G2.

I would of looked at the G2 but I don't like that the headphone slot is on the bottom ( not a deal breaker though) and the buttons on the back (just don't like them)

Sent from my SM-N900T

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
1) Why did you pick a cell service that gives you no coverage at home? That just seems strange to me. I specifically checked coverage for home, work, and the places I normally go before switching from Sprint to T-Mobile.
2) You can get a signal booster that will amplify the outside signal (directionally) and repeat it for you inside. I know people that have done it (although it might not be cheap). https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10009
4) The Nexus will work with AT&T and Sprint and others, so you COULD retain the phone and switch service.
5) There is only a 13% difference in the battery sizes you are quoting- not a huge difference. And all the extra "gimmicks" on the Samsung will likely wipe that extra power away, anyway.
6) You might have other power issues totally unrelated to the hardware (it could be a rogue app or setting, and that can happen on ANY phone). ((Of course, it could also be a weak cell signal sucking all your power... and that would remain with some other phone too on the same carrier))
7) "Optimized" for T-Mobile means nothing. The only thing missing of any value is WiFi-calling (which is a shame, since there is probably no reason that can't be done with an addon app).
8) Most of the flagship phones have a fixed battery.
9) You could add a battery case if you need more juice between charges. And/or have an external battery for trips where there is no power.

Not saying the Nexus 5 is right for you... just pointing out some stuff.

1) If he was anything like my family he probably had it in an area that got FANTASTIC coverage (like 4GLTE everywhere, rarely deadspots) (we have T-Mobile; I'm on my mother's plan) and then moved into an area where the cell coverage sucks and is stuck in the contract OR the other service providers are too expensive for his budget to move and therefore stuck in the contract/non-contract.

2) T-Mobile offers those? Good to know...

3) You missed 3...lol

4) That is true, but not if he purchased it directly from T-Mobile. If he did, then the OP is screwed. Most likely carrier locked like all other phones purchased directly from them.

5) It may not seem like a huge difference but that small difference is the reason why I will not be purchasing the Nexus 5 when I currently own the S4. That 13% could be the difference in 2-4hr battery life, at minimum...so while the percentages are small the actual life of the battery potentially tells the whole story. Plus, I'm sure it isn't just the battery life, like the OP stated, he has issues with the non-removable part of the battery. Another reason why I won't be purchasing it.

6) It could be a number of things. If the OP wants to return the phone/sell it, that's on him. & Android just seems to buggy for me to actually put up with those stupid issues...Not sure if I will be sticking with it for much longer after the iPhone 6 comes out.

7) I agree, it is a shame that there isn't an addon app that T-Mobile could make specifically for it's carrier service...yes more bloatware but people would use it! It would actually be useful bloatware. Lol

8) Most: yes. All: no. Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, and now S5 all do not. As far as I know some overseas flagships do not as well.

9) That is true, always an option.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
1) If he was anything like my family he probably had it in an area that got FANTASTIC coverage (like 4GLTE everywhere, rarely deadspots) (we have T-Mobile; I'm on my mother's plan) and then moved into an area where the cell coverage sucks and is stuck in the contract OR the other service providers are too expensive for his budget to move and therefore stuck in the contract/non-contract.

2) T-Mobile offers those? Good to know...

3) You missed 3...lol

4) That is true, but not if he purchased it directly from T-Mobile. If he did, then the OP is screwed. Most likely carrier locked like all other phones purchased directly from them.

5) It may not seem like a huge difference but that small difference is the reason why I will not be purchasing the Nexus 5 when I currently own the S4. That 13% could be the difference in 2-4hr battery life, at minimum...so while the percentages are small the actual life of the battery potentially tells the whole story. Plus, I'm sure it isn't just the battery life, like the OP stated, he has issues with the non-removable part of the battery. Another reason why I won't be purchasing it.

6) It could be a number of things. If the OP wants to return the phone/sell it, that's on him. & Android just seems to buggy for me to actually put up with those stupid issues...Not sure if I will be sticking with it for much longer after the iPhone 6 comes out.

7) I agree, it is a shame that there isn't an addon app that T-Mobile could make specifically for it's carrier service...yes more bloatware but people would use it! It would actually be useful bloatware. Lol

8) Most: yes. All: no. Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, and now S5 all do not. As far as I know some overseas flagships do not as well.

9) That is true, always an option.

1) I Have no reception in my house and do have a signal booster but with Wifi calling i can be anywhere like say a friends house where if i get no cellphone service there i can just use wifi calling which is rare but I like the option.

T-mobile offers it as a rental where it is Free to use but if you destroy it or don't send it back if you cancel your service they will charge the payment method you provided for them to charge for shipping ($6.99 + tax on shipping)

2)I purchased from Google play store and had AT&T and moved to t-mobile well because it was cheaper plain and simple. I loved AT&T but I primarily use my phone mostly for texting and Data usage and barely call people ( maybe i use 10-60 minutes a month ?) and no way i am paying for that much data (around 6-10GB ) for just data usage really.

3) MY note 3 easily lasts 2 days of my usage with gps, wifi , data and high brightness all on during the day compared to around 10-11 hours till about 5-15% battery left with the nexus 5

4) optimized means everything because I want WIFI calling , I actually miss the IR blaster on my Galaxy s4 when i had my nexus 5 , and I liked the camera app better on the s4 and note 3.

5) Those fixed phone batterys I just won't buy if the battery isn't good enough to power my phone the way i want it

6) i have a battery pack but that is just another thing to charge.... I want the phone to last me a whole day without me having to manage it and the Note 3 achieves that and then some

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I would of looked at the G2 but I don't like that the headphone slot is on the bottom ( not a deal breaker though) and the buttons on the back (just don't like them)

That's fair. The design of the LG G2 is probably not for everyone. In that case, the Note 3 on T-Mobile is probably your best choice until maybe the Note 4 comes out. Google will probably try to come up with an alternative to wifi calling, but we have no idea if and when that will be available. As for battery life, that will always be a problem. Maybe they'll put a bigger battery on the next Nexus phone.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my SM-N900T
Coming from a GNex, where I thought that was weird, I've found that it was actually a really useful thing to have. It makes grabbing the device in a pocket more natural, and got the headphone cable out of the way more. I'm mildly annoyed the N5 doesn't have it that way..

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a GNex, where I thought that was weird, I've found that it was actually a really useful thing to have. It makes grabbing the device in a pocket more natural, and got the headphone cable out of the way more. I'm mildly annoyed the N5 doesn't have it that way..

More natural? Not really whatever that means I just take it out. And with headphones jack on the bottom I would now I have to place phone upside down and then pull it out every time I want to change volume

Sent from my SM-N900T

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm mildly annoyed the N5 doesn't have it that way..

This issue is not exclusive to the Nexus 5, but I like having the headphone jack on the bottom with the USB port so that if I connect wires to both of them at the same time, the wires are coming out from one direction. This is particularly useful if you have your phone in a car dock. All the wires just go straight down if your phone is in a portrait orientation. It's not a huge problem with the Nexus 5, but I agree it can be annoying sometimes.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
This issue is not exclusive to the Nexus 5, but I like having the headphone jack on the bottom with the USB port so that if I connect wires to both of them at the same time, the wires are coming out from one direction. This is particularly useful if you have your phone in a car dock. All the wires just go straight down if your phone is in a portrait orientation. It's not a huge problem with the Nexus 5, but I agree it can be annoying sometimes.

Meh I have my phone in my pocket and its annoying that way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol