Nexus 5: Cell Standby

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey community!

I was wondering about the cell standby info. My question is, below you will see that my report says that my cell was out of signal 54% of the time and it has used 4% battery. These numbers have a pretty big gap between them. So what I'm thinking is that since my LTE is enabled and isn't as strong in my area, I'm assuming that this is stating it has a weak LTE signal and is sitting between LTE and 4G. My signal is strong with 4G but the system finds a small amount of LTE and will try to connect and stay on this network even if its pretty weak. Do you think this is what my report means?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1395965821072.jpg
    1395965821072.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The difference between the 4% and the 54% isn't significant in itself. It means that for about 6.5 hours (54% of the total standby), your phone didn't have any cell signal, and the cell standby took up a total of 4% of your total battery life for that particular charge cycle. Cell signal usually refers to voice signal (which will be your GSM radio--or CDMA, if you're on Sprint), and the classic bars you see refer to voice signal strength, not necessarily data signal strength.

LTE is "true" 4G, while HSPA+ is considered "pseudo 4G" (although on T-Mobile and AT&T, these speeds can still be pretty fast). HSPA (without the plus) is 3G. It's possible that if your LTE signal is weak in your area, the radio might have to expend a little more power trying to latch onto that signal, but I'm not sure if that's reflected in the Cell Standby graph.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
The difference between the 4% and the 54% isn't significant in itself. It means that for about 6.5 hours (54% of the total standby), your phone didn't have any cell signal, and the cell standby took up a total of 4% of your total battery life for that particular charge cycle. Cell signal usually refers to voice signal (which will be your GSM radio--or CDMA, if you're on Sprint), and the classic bars you see refer to voice signal strength, not necessarily data signal strength.

LTE is "true" 4G, while HSPA+ is considered "pseudo 4G" (although on T-Mobile and AT&T, these speeds can still be pretty fast). HSPA (without the plus) is 3G. It's possible that if your LTE signal is weak in your area, the radio might have to expend a little more power trying to latch onto that signal, but I'm not sure if that's reflected in the Cell Standby graph.

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm going to enable 3G on a full battery charge and I'll post the results tomorrow at the end of the day. BTW I am Canada with Telus. Our networks range from LTE HSPA+ and 3G, CDMA is pretty much nowhere to be found and is on its way to being extinct.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc