Battery went from 100% to dead overnight

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Unplugged my phone after work and when I looked at the % it was full charged at 100%. I did not use my phone at all last night or this morning. When I woke up it was dead. I turned it on and it shows 17h 0m 0s on battery of which Wi-Fi was the top user of the battery at 16h 59m 59s. I did not have Wi-Fi on during this time. The next on the battery list is phone idle 16h 57m 7s.

Any ideas what is going on here? How is Wi-Fi draining my battery if it isn't on?

Edit: Just to add some more info. I started charging it 20 minutes ago and it was at 20% already (it said under 1% when it finally turned on). I rebooted it at 20% and when it rebooted it showed 41%!

This thing is messed up.

Last edited:

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If it was my phone and the battery usage was still rapidly draining, I'd uninstall all the apps that show up under "recently updated" and see how it runs afterwards. You might have gotten an update that has a nasty memory leak or an accidental code loop that never ends

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Wi-Fi, tap the menu button, then Advanced. Make sure "Scanning always available" is unchecked, and change "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Never, if you haven't already.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
You should do a calibration first. Wiping the cache is easy and go ahead do that.

If the sudden battery change of 30+% keep happening, you should return it and ask for a new one. That would indicate the battery cells is damaged.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings>Wi-Fi, tap the menu button, then Advanced. Make sure "Scanning always available" is unchecked, and change "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Never, if you haven't already.

Thanks. I've made those changes. If this doesn't work I'll try uninstalling some apps.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
If that happens consistently at all, it is grounds for a RMA. I have a similar nasty, random drain 2-4 times/month. When I told Google about it, they basically cut me off mid-sentence and told me they where gonna set up an RMA. Too bad the replacement (actually two replacements in a row now) both have had **** yellow screens. Third one is on the way currently.

devchaube15

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This happened to my Nexus 4 last year, (got it RMAed because it was a huge inconvenience since I use my phone a lot), I suggest you do the same, it didn't go away for a week, I did all the cache clearing, app uninstalls, and even reset my device, twice, in a week, after setting it up both times.

RMA Pros: Newer phone batch, the bigger or small speaker grills (apparently makes it sound better), some peoples cameras were not centered so you'd probably get one that is, also if you're phone has a scratch or two, you'd get a brand new one. You get to have TWO Nexus 5's for a week, so you can do some testing, or be a boss and say, it was so good, I had to get two!

RMA Cons: You have to buy another device, which will cost you the same price of it that you paid, so you'd be out over $900 if you got the 32GB, then wait until you get the replacement, and the charge will be removed. There is no way around this, it is Google's way, so either you have the extra money or you have to wait till you can get it.

But just to be sure, I'd call in and just report it to Google anyways, who knows, a lot of people might have had it and they may just advise you to RMA or not, maybe there's a fix on the way, whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo knooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooows

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
This happened to my Nexus 4 last year, (got it RMAed because it was a huge inconvenience since I use my phone a lot), I suggest you do the same, it didn't go away for a week, I did all the cache clearing, app uninstalls, and even reset my device, twice, in a week, after setting it up both times.

RMA Pros: Newer phone batch, the bigger or small speaker grills (apparently makes it sound better), some peoples cameras were not centered so you'd probably get one that is, also if you're phone has a scratch or two, you'd get a brand new one. You get to have TWO Nexus 5's for a week, so you can do some testing, or be a boss and say, it was so good, I had to get two!

RMA Cons: You have to buy another device, which will cost you the same price of it that you paid, so you'd be out over $900 if you got the 32GB, then wait until you get the replacement, and the charge will be removed. There is no way around this, it is Google's way, so either you have the extra money or you have to wait till you can get it.

But just to be sure, I'd call in and just report it to Google anyways, who knows, a lot of people might have had it and they may just advise you to RMA or not, maybe there's a fix on the way, whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo knooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooows

I thought about RMA but I just got this phone last month. The issue seems to be resolved (for now).