Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zendroid1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery went from 100% to dead overnight

Unplugged my phone after work and when I looked at the % it was full charged at 100%. I did not use my phone at all last night or this morning. When I woke up it was dead. I turned it on and it shows 17h 0m 0s on battery of which Wi-Fi was the top user of the battery at 16h 59m 59s. I did not have Wi-Fi on during this time. The next on the battery list is phone idle 16h 57m 7s.

Any ideas what is going on here? How is Wi-Fi draining my battery if it isn't on?

Edit: Just to add some more info. I started charging it 20 minutes ago and it was at 20% already (it said under 1% when it finally turned on). I rebooted it at 20% and when it rebooted it showed 41%!

This thing is messed up.
    Last edited by Zendroid1; 03-28-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Global Posts
    17,459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Battery went from 100% to dead overnight

Could you please post screenshots of the battery stats?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Are you using a custom ROM/Kernel?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Completely stock. Forgot to take screens before I started charging but you get the idea.

Battery went from 100% to dead overnight-screenshot_2014-03-28-08-20-30.jpgBattery went from 100% to dead overnight-screenshot_2014-03-28-08-20-43.jpgBattery went from 100% to dead overnight-screenshot_2014-03-28-08-20-54.jpgBattery went from 100% to dead overnight-screenshot_2014-03-28-08-21-09.jpg

Global Posts
    17,459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

When you get fully charged, I would try clearing cache in recovery. See if that helps.
    [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery
    [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    When you get fully charged, I would try clearing cache in recovery. See if that helps.
    [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery. - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    Thanks, I just did this. I'll see what my battery stats look like after a couple hours.

Edit: 15 minutes in and it's not looking good. My Wi-Fi useage is at 15 minutes. (yes wifi is still off)

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Zendroid1; 03-28-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Any new apps installed or recently updated apps?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Any new apps installed or recently updated apps?
    I have apps that update daily but haven't installed any new one's in a week probably.

If it was my phone and the battery usage was still rapidly draining, I'd uninstall all the apps that show up under "recently updated" and see how it runs afterwards. You might have gotten an update that has a nasty memory leak or an accidental code loop that never ends
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Go to Settings>Wi-Fi, tap the menu button, then Advanced. Make sure "Scanning always available" is unchecked, and change "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Never, if you haven't already.

You should do a calibration first. Wiping the cache is easy and go ahead do that.

If the sudden battery change of 30+% keep happening, you should return it and ask for a new one. That would indicate the battery cells is damaged.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Go to Settings>Wi-Fi, tap the menu button, then Advanced. Make sure "Scanning always available" is unchecked, and change "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Never, if you haven't already.
    Thanks. I've made those changes. If this doesn't work I'll try uninstalling some apps.

If that happens consistently at all, it is grounds for a RMA. I have a similar nasty, random drain 2-4 times/month. When I told Google about it, they basically cut me off mid-sentence and told me they where gonna set up an RMA. Too bad the replacement (actually two replacements in a row now) both have had **** yellow screens. Third one is on the way currently.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

So far so good. Almost 7 hours in and I'm at 85% with some decent usage and no wifi usage
    B. Diddy likes this.

Fingers crossed!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

18 hours in and I'm at 74%!

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android 3.6 HALO

This happened to my Nexus 4 last year, (got it RMAed because it was a huge inconvenience since I use my phone a lot), I suggest you do the same, it didn't go away for a week, I did all the cache clearing, app uninstalls, and even reset my device, twice, in a week, after setting it up both times.

RMA Pros: Newer phone batch, the bigger or small speaker grills (apparently makes it sound better), some peoples cameras were not centered so you'd probably get one that is, also if you're phone has a scratch or two, you'd get a brand new one. You get to have TWO Nexus 5's for a week, so you can do some testing, or be a boss and say, it was so good, I had to get two!

RMA Cons: You have to buy another device, which will cost you the same price of it that you paid, so you'd be out over $900 if you got the 32GB, then wait until you get the replacement, and the charge will be removed. There is no way around this, it is Google's way, so either you have the extra money or you have to wait till you can get it.

But just to be sure, I'd call in and just report it to Google anyways, who knows, a lot of people might have had it and they may just advise you to RMA or not, maybe there's a fix on the way, whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo knooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooows
    dev chaube, 17 y/o tech enthusiast
    changing the world by switching over one friend from iphone to android at a time
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by devchaube15 View Post
    This happened to my Nexus 4 last year, (got it RMAed because it was a huge inconvenience since I use my phone a lot), I suggest you do the same, it didn't go away for a week, I did all the cache clearing, app uninstalls, and even reset my device, twice, in a week, after setting it up both times.

RMA Pros: Newer phone batch, the bigger or small speaker grills (apparently makes it sound better), some peoples cameras were not centered so you'd probably get one that is, also if you're phone has a scratch or two, you'd get a brand new one. You get to have TWO Nexus 5's for a week, so you can do some testing, or be a boss and say, it was so good, I had to get two!

RMA Cons: You have to buy another device, which will cost you the same price of it that you paid, so you'd be out over $900 if you got the 32GB, then wait until you get the replacement, and the charge will be removed. There is no way around this, it is Google's way, so either you have the extra money or you have to wait till you can get it.

But just to be sure, I'd call in and just report it to Google anyways, who knows, a lot of people might have had it and they may just advise you to RMA or not, maybe there's a fix on the way, whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo knooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooows
    I thought about RMA but I just got this phone last month. The issue seems to be resolved (for now).