My phone was stolen last night and none of my security software or Google device Finder can locate it. It's probably turned off purposely as it was almost fully charged 10PM

( I lost it at about 11:30) .

I'm in Canada and we have an IMEI blacklist service which stops any company from allowing the phone to be used on their networks. But... I wonder if someone could just change the IMEI and use my phone? I see websites offering that as a service and a bit furious if this is possible.
    03-31-2014 02:39 PM
    Yep.... it's possible.... and more often than not, illegal. It is basically just a number.
    03-31-2014 02:45 PM
    Can't even begin to say how deeply disappointing that is... IMEI blocking was the only thing that I felt good about this afternoon hahaha
    03-31-2014 02:52 PM
    It is illegal but possible.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    03-31-2014 02:55 PM
    Well, if someone is brazen enough to steal a phone I somehow feel their dubious ethics won't stop them from wiping out my IMEI. I suppose it will be a game carriers, users, developers and thieves will be playing forever.
    03-31-2014 03:03 PM
    Well, if someone is brazen enough to steal a phone I somehow feel their dubious ethics won't stop them from wiping out my IMEI. I suppose it will be a game carriers, users, developers and thieves will be playing forever.
    Well... most are too stupid to even realize it. There are pages out there devoted to dips that stole a phone and provided a detailed pictorial of their post-theft exploits. But not all are morons.....
    03-31-2014 03:17 PM
    Whoever got mine was pretty bright...

It was fully charged at 11PM I lost it between 11:32-11:42 PM. Phone was off after that time.
    03-31-2014 03:22 PM
    Whoever got mine was pretty bright...

It was fully charged at 11PM I lost it between 11:32-11:42 PM. Phone was off after that time.
    Sorry to hear about by our misfortune. Hopefully you had some sort of warranty to help you replace it.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-31-2014 03:56 PM
    They might be able to change it internally but they cant replace the factory sticker which has the original IMEI. Its wise to compare them.
    04-01-2014 01:49 PM
    Per USA legislation:

"knowingly using, producing, trafficking in, having control or custody of, or possessing hardware or software knowing that it has been configured to insert or modify telecommunication identifying information associated with or contained in a telecommunications instrument so that such instrument may be used to obtain telecommunications service without authorization."

I have changed IMEIs and ESNs in the past for myself, but for different reasons. I have wifi everywhere I go, but phone carriers require you to get a data plan with a smartphone. I just change my ESN/IMEI to make the carrier think it is the same phone and still use their cdma/gsm network for making calls and text messages. Usually can't do MMS as that tends to use a 3g(or higher) network and well, I don't have data. As the law states, I am not getting any service I am not paying for. Thus there are legal reasons for changing the ESN/IMEI, though cloning tends to skirt on illegal as it is assumed you are trying to use two phone in different locations at the same time, or you end up doing so by mistake.
    12-22-2014 08:34 AM
    I was sold an iPhone 7 from Craigslist and found out the person owes money on their contract. It will most likely eventually become blacklisted so I have been searching for solutions to repair IMEI or change it so I'm not out $550 bucks.

Can someone point me to some credible sites that allow you to do this ... assuming its legal...

Thanks
    12-09-2016 01:13 PM
    I was sold an iPhone 7 from Craigslist and found out the person owes money on their contract. It will most likely eventually become blacklisted so I have been searching for solutions to repair IMEI or change it so I'm not out $550 bucks. What program did you use to repair/change? Its not yet blacklisted but they will most likely default on their contract bill.
    12-09-2016 01:14 PM
    As mentioned above by a moderator its illegal to change the IMEI number in a phone. Federal Law.
    12-09-2016 03:04 PM