Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default IMEI Changing? Can thieves really do this?

My phone was stolen last night and none of my security software or Google device Finder can locate it. It's probably turned off purposely as it was almost fully charged 10PM

( I lost it at about 11:30) .

I'm in Canada and we have an IMEI blacklist service which stops any company from allowing the phone to be used on their networks. But... I wonder if someone could just change the IMEI and use my phone? I see websites offering that as a service and a bit furious if this is possible.

Default Re: IMEI Changing? Can thieves really do this?

Yep.... it's possible.... and more often than not, illegal. It is basically just a number.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Can't even begin to say how deeply disappointing that is... IMEI blocking was the only thing that I felt good about this afternoon hahaha

It is illegal but possible.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well, if someone is brazen enough to steal a phone I somehow feel their dubious ethics won't stop them from wiping out my IMEI. I suppose it will be a game carriers, users, developers and thieves will be playing forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneru View Post
    Well, if someone is brazen enough to steal a phone I somehow feel their dubious ethics won't stop them from wiping out my IMEI. I suppose it will be a game carriers, users, developers and thieves will be playing forever.
    Well... most are too stupid to even realize it. There are pages out there devoted to dips that stole a phone and provided a detailed pictorial of their post-theft exploits. But not all are morons.....
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Whoever got mine was pretty bright...

It was fully charged at 11PM I lost it between 11:32-11:42 PM. Phone was off after that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneru View Post
    Whoever got mine was pretty bright...

It was fully charged at 11PM I lost it between 11:32-11:42 PM. Phone was off after that time.
    Sorry to hear about by our misfortune. Hopefully you had some sort of warranty to help you replace it.

Posted via Android Central App

They might be able to change it internally but they cant replace the factory sticker which has the original IMEI. Its wise to compare them.