Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By devchaube15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Question Nexus 5 users, how has your Battery Life held up?

Just broke my Nexus 4, and im interested in getting a Nexus 5. One thing that concerns me is the alleged bad Battery Life of the Nexus 5.

Can some of you please share your experience with the N5 and how much mileage you get on a charge (including screen on time). Im more interested in how long the phone last while using LTE, while out and about, on a workday for example. I know there has been several software updates for the N5 and was wondering if those helped with battery life.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 5 users, how has your Battery Life held up?

battery life is great. i'm on AT&T GoPhone. search this forum for battery reports already posted ad nauseum.

good luck.

Although, my N5 just came off the charger and I don't have a screenshot of battery stats to provide; I typically have about 50% battery life left at the end of the day. I disconnect at about 0545 and am a light to moderate user. I regularly plu my device in at around 10pm.I have no problems with battery life.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

I've not researched it but wonder how the Nexus 5's battery would compete with my 5s'.

Sent from 5s 1 🔘

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Paranoid Android 3.6 HALO

battery life is battery life, phones dont last forever, but each and every phone has its own limit.

I've had my Nexus since November 16th, and from Nov 16 till December 31st I didnt do anything to it but leave it stock. Back then I had amazing battery life, I mean when I use my N4 it gets me from 7:00AM in the morning till 3:30PM in the afternoon (8.5 hours) with about 15% left. Now, I use my phone ALOT, always on Auto Brightness, using 3G Data (no 4g on Windmobile :'/), streaming music from Songza, reading androidcentral, reading news using flipboard, typing notes in class using evernote, taking pictures of the textbook for that nights homework. So you can see, if you do all this or more, your battery life will probably be crappy. But most people are not like me, most people just use their phone for simple twitter, instagram, facebook, occasional youtube videos, and they're mostly always on WIFI, and they have an ipod or download music to their device. So with my friend who is just like this, he gets battery life from 6:00AM in the morning ALLLLLLLLLLL the way until 1:00AM the next day... and he still has 37% left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which is utterly insane!!!

So there you have it, battery life will vary.

Now, after December 31st, I rooted my phone and am using Paranoid Android with the help of Antutu Battery Saver and CPU Master, with these two brilliant apps I can get battery life from 7:00AM till 3:30PM with about 42% LEFT over!!! Which is amazing because I used to be almost dead right before I walked into the house, so there are multiple ways of achieving good battery life.

Now I'll give you a tip, when your phone gets hot and it makes you sweat, STOP USING it, when a phone is hot it uses battery WAY MORE QUICKLY, I played Flappy Bird for 12 minutes, started at 78%, went down to 65%.... auto brightness. Then I played QuizUp from 63%, went down to 52% in 8 minutes. 8 DAMN MINUTES. I played both of these with no other apps running, so you can see gaming, or hot phone = bad life
    undulose likes this.

I can't tell you about the STOCK rating all that much.. the only thing I have to go on there is my wife's... but she doesn't use her phone all that heavliy (her Nexus 7 is her workhorse). So her 5 just sits in her bag.... and that gets several days before needing a charge (this morning she popped it on the charger at 20% after almost 5 days of (mostly) idle time.

On mine.. it's running AOSPAL (a PA offshoot) with the latest Franco kernel. I get a full day of use out of it, 4+ hours of screen time... then throw it on the N7's charger, which charges it up pretty quick. I rarely drop below 30%.

I think the complaints stem from the fact that it is a little bit on the small side for the current flagships... 2300mah. They could have put a bigger battery in there, but then it would have been larger and heavier.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    I can't tell you about the STOCK rating all that much.. the only thing I have to go on there is my wife's... but she doesn't use her phone all that heavliy (her Nexus 7 is her workhorse). So her 5 just sits in her bag.... and that gets several days before needing a charge (this morning she popped it on the charger at 20% after almost 5 days of (mostly) idle time.

On mine.. it's running AOSPAL (a PA offshoot) with the latest Franco kernel. I get a full day of use out of it, 4+ hours of screen time... then throw it on the N7's charger, which charges it up pretty quick. I rarely drop below 30%.

I think the complaints stem from the fact that it is a little bit on the small side for the current flagships... 2300mah. They could have put a bigger battery in there, but then it would have been larger and heavier.
    ...and quite possibly, more expensive, like the other flagships.

Sent from my MF003LL/A 🔘

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    ...and quite possibly, more expensive, like the other flagships.
    Well... The cost might not be all that much different.. a 2600 might not be all that much more than the 2300. I assume that they make the choice mostly based on form factor since a bigger battery means that you have to fiddle with the enclosure and connection and back plate. And there is also a different between removable and nonremovable.... Google's choice of a non-removable battery was also a cost savings one I'd think... a removable battery needs more design considerations... whereas a fixed one is just hard wired in (it still has a plug that can be removed without cutting anything though) and there's no need to design a battery with connections, a cradle, etc.

I get 16 to 18 hours a day. That's web browsing, emails, and a lot of phone calls. This is the best smart phone battery life I have ever had. The N5 experience is awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I had the N4, and usually went to bed with about 20% battery left. Running ART on the N5, I have 50 - 60% left around mid night. ART is noticeably better battery life for me, but even when running Dalvic, I still had about 30 to 40% left at mid night.

With moderate use, I'm usually on track for 3.5-4 hours of total screen-on time. I usually take my phone off charger at around 8 AM, and by the time I go to bed around midnight, it's down to the 40s.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I had the N4, and usually went to bed with about 20% battery left. Running ART on the N5, I have 50 - 60% left around mid night. ART is noticeably better battery life for me, but even when running Dalvic, I still had about 30 to 40% left at mid night.
    Is that using data, or wifi? hows your screen on time?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    With moderate use, I'm usually on track for 3.5-4 hours of total screen-on time. I usually take my phone off charger at around 8 AM, and by the time I go to bed around midnight, it's down to the 40s.
    I would be pretty please if my phone would last me till midnight with 40 percent left. Whats your usage like, and screen on time?

I mentioned my screen-on time above. Unless I'm at work, I usually keep Wi-Fi and mobile data off, and toggle it on when I need it. Location Reporting off, Location Services set to Battery Saving (ie, GPS radio off). A lot of my screen-on time is for web surfing or using the AC app. I don't do heavy gaming or constant music streaming.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

You better post the screenshots of your battery usage on your phone...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I mentioned my screen-on time above. Unless I'm at work, I usually keep Wi-Fi and mobile data off, and toggle it on when I need it. Location Reporting off, Location Services set to Battery Saving (ie, GPS radio off). A lot of my screen-on time is for web surfing or using the AC app. I don't do heavy gaming or constant music streaming.

Posted via Android Central App
    personally, it sucks if turning off data and wifi constantly is the only way to achieve good battery life. Thats something i had to do with the Nexus 4, which i hated, and even then i could only get about 5-6 hours on a charge.

I will say that when I keep my wifi on all day when I'm on call at work (which is a 14 hour day), I don't really get much worse battery life. But then again, I'm probably not using it as much, since I'm busy with work.

I don't just turn off wifi and data to save battery. In this age of privacy concerns, I tend to prefer not being constantly connected if I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jprez89 View Post
    I would be pretty please if my phone would last me till midnight with 40 percent left. Whats your usage like, and screen on time?
    I upgraded from an N4 to an N5, and battery life is significantly better. While I do have WiFi at home and work, I actually spend less time on WiFi now (due to my commute) then I did with the N4. Right now as I get ready to head to bed I have 46% battery life left, 17.5 hours after taking it off the charger this morning.

I know that some phones like the Note 3 and the G2 get better battery life, but I think I've only had my phone not make it through a whole day once (that was with heavy camera usage), and even on days when I forgot to charge it at night it has always made it until I get home (obviously I avoid using it too much in that situation).
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ottscay View Post
    I upgraded from an N4 to an N5, and battery life is significantly better. While I do have WiFi at home and work, I actually spend less time on WiFi now (due to my commute) then I did with the N4. Right now as I get ready to head to bed I have 46% battery life left, 17.5 hours after taking it off the charger this morning.

I know that some phones like the Note 3 and the G2 get better battery life, but I think I've only had my phone not make it through a whole day once (that was with heavy camera usage), and even on days when I forgot to charge it at night it has always made it until I get home (obviously I avoid using it too much in that situation).
    thats pretty good. how much screen on time though? were u using it throughout the day, or was it mostly on stand by?

Is that using data, or wifi? hows your screen on time?
    I never turn anything on my phone off, and I use both cell data and wifi. As to the screen time, I have no idea. I've never been much of a battery nerd. It sounds about as much fun as constantly monitoring my gas mileage. Anyway...that's all irrelevant. You're coming from an N4, considering an N5. I was just describing how (all things being equal), that's my exact situation and my N5 battery life is significantly better.

If you were able to live with whatever your N4's battery life was, then you should enjoy the N5's battery more.

I'm a light to moderate user most of the time. Don't use my phone much at home except for texting or calls, got a Tab 3 for the rest. I also use the Qualcomm battery optimizer and it seems to work nicely for me. Here's a screenshot from the past weekend. The 45 minute call in the end used up a lot of the battery, otherwise I could have gone a few more hours.
    Nexus 5 users, how has your Battery Life held up?-screenshot_2014-03-30-19-45-00.jpg

Just broke my Nexus 4, and im interested in getting a Nexus 5. One thing that concerns me is the alleged bad Battery Life of the Nexus 5.
    Can some of you please share your experience with the N5 and how much mileage you get on a charge (including screen on time). Im more interested in how long the phone last while using LTE, while out and about, on a workday for example. I know there has been several software updates for the N5 and was wondering if those helped with battery life.
    Jumping in here a little late but because I just noticed questions about one of my previously posted screenshots in a different thread that I never answered, I want to share my results and what I've done to achieve my ridiculous screen on times. I think it is fair to assume that the average N5 user is Not going to see the battery life that I routinely get. First of all my N5 was rooted within minutes of opening the box back in November. Running a custom kernel (ElementalX v0.26) with stock cpu and gpu frequencies and using ondemand governors. IMO this gives me the best performance and battery life. The ElementalX governor can potentially increase the battery life over the ondemand governor on this kernel but I want the absolute best performance using the stock frequencies no matter how small the perceived difference! I don't use auto-brightness very much because it seems to be too aggressive dimming the display indoors. Dimming the display to save battery is not something I ever do, I usually set it brighter indoors than what auto would set it at. Location mode is set to "Battery saving" except when using google nav. Takes like 3-4 seconds to switch over to "High accuracy" mode. Advanced wifi settings are all unchecked. Wifi on during sleep "Only when plugged in." Wifi frequency band is set to "2.4 GHz only" because my router does not use 5 GHz, it also seems to help connect to the router faster. Wifi optimization is unchecked because it seems to help find my repeater faster. Because of the geography where I live in Colorado I use HSPA+ the majority of the time, get a much more consistent signal strength using HSPA+. For me here I don't really notice that I'm missing LTE. That said, I'm not going to be a big help as far as LTE battery life but it seems to me it doesn't make a huge difference as long as it doesn't spend a lot of time looking for a better signal, otherwise... I don't use Google+, Google Now, Hangouts, Facebook or Twitter. I don't use Google Play Books (I use the Kindle app), Games, Magazines, Movies or Music (I use PowerAmp). All of these google apps are disabled. I do use the Google Voice Search app which is basically google now without all the cards and access it with a double tap (Nova Prime) on any home screen, I don't have the search bar on every screen. On an average day send and receive 50-200+ sms using Google Voice and use 8sms to send the occasional mms msg. Use AT&T with unlimited data and a very small text plan which is why I use google voice. I get 400+ rss feeds everyday and use both Feedly and Press for different reasons. Because of all the feeds I use Dolphin Browser (with flashplayer) pretty much everyday. Have 23 YouTube subscriptions I keep track of and watch a handful of those vids. I don't sync my pics with dropbox or anything else. I do zero gaming on the N5, all gaming is done on my slightly overclocked N7. I think the biggest thing I do that saves battery is I don't have a ton of apps syncing. I can only think of Google Keep, 2 Gmail accounts, Google Voice and to some extent the Kindle app. Widgets I use that update are the stock time/date, eWeather HD which updates every 2 hrs if the screen comes on or if I tap on it and the SeriesGuide widget. A lot of my screen on time is reading rss feeds and using the Kindle app. Typically see 7 to 9 hrs of screen on time and I don't remember ever getting less than 4hrs. Almost forgot... I also use the Greenify app/exposed module to hibernate system and user apps. Apologize for being so long-winded, just wanted to show it is possible to get good battery life, not easy but it is possible. Should have also said.. using stock 4.4.2, with mods.

Nexus 5 users, how has your Battery Life held up?-screenshot_2014-01-18-13-58-54.jpg Nexus 5 users, how has your Battery Life held up?-screenshot_2014-01-18-13-59-10.jpg Nexus 5 users, how has your Battery Life held up?-screenshot_2014-02-09-11-14-53.jpg Nexus 5 users, how has your Battery Life held up?-screenshot_2014-02-09-11-15-10.jpg Nexus 5 users, how has your Battery Life held up?-screenshot_2014-02-22-12-07-40.jpg Nexus 5 users, how has your Battery Life held up?-screenshot_2014-02-22-12-07-57.jpg

Global Posts
    13,381 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Op, battery life will depend on how you use it. If I recall, many reviews indicated that battery life was not that much more better than the Nexus 4. With the stock ROM and Franco Kernel battery life was excellent. 4 hours screen on time is usual. Right now I'm using Paranoid with Franco and have been getting good battery life. The key is to adjust your settings accordingly by reducing screen brightness less than 50%, under clocking (if rooted) and disabling services you don't need.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I'm rooted, but on the stock kernel and OS (ROM), and got similar results before rooting. Normal use for me, the battery will usually last me through two work days until I feel it should be recharged (20% to 30% remaining). I turn syncing on apps I don't need live notifications to being on-demand (when they're used), and turn off the radios I don't need at the time. I leave mobile data on all the time, and primarily only use that for data transfer as I have good LTE reception at work and at home and have unlimited data.

thats pretty good. how much screen on time though? were u using it throughout the day, or was it mostly on stand by?
    I generally get 1:30-2:30 of screen time. I'm sure I could get 3 hours without a problem, but I honestly just don't use my phone that much right now.