Is there a danger in giving this info out?

yuppicide

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I found a good deal on a Nexus 5 like new. In the auction it shows pics of the box and screen.

Is there any danger me buying it when it clearly shows stuff like Serial, IMEI, WiFi Mac address, etc?

I am the high bidder, but am concerned if will be a security issue for me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You can check with the carrier you're going to use and ask if the IMEI is good.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

yuppicide

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
No no no. I am sure the phone will work. I am just asking if its a big security issue if people see all that info.. people are browsing the auction now and can freely see the Serial, IMEI, WiFi mac address, etc

3C0T3CH

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean by "security?"

Are they going to setup a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot and comb the world to see if they can pick up your mac address in the off chance you'll connect to their network so they can say, "Ah ha! That Nexus 5 I saw listed for sale is somewhere near here!"? I think the odds are against it. ;)

On the other hand, if you're someone that people are dedicating a lot of resources toward and intently trying to keep tabs on, and they find out you bought this phone. Then yeah... maybe.

Anyway, within the scope of everyday mundane reason, I think you're good to go.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'd not want anyone to have my IMEI number.. But.. It just depends how you feel about it.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I saw something on Swappa about the IMEI numbers being displayed. People can use the number to do some shady things but I couldn't remember what it was.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781