silence incoming call/sms ringtone

Rick Velilla

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so every now and then I'll be having a conversation and I'll get a call or text and my phone is not on silent or vibrate and my favorite ringtone starts blaring. Since I'm in the middle of a conversion I'd like to just reach into my pocket, hit one of the buttons and stop the ringtone/notification from playing. This doesn't seem to work out of the box. I'm a bit new to android phones (finally got fed up with iPhone) so I know there is probably an app or setting that will let me do this, but I can't find it. Could anyone give me a pointer?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so every now and then I'll be having a conversation and I'll get a call or text and my phone is not on silent or vibrate and my favorite ringtone starts blaring. Since I'm in the middle of a conversion I'd like to just reach into my pocket, hit one of the buttons and stop the ringtone/notification from playing. This doesn't seem to work out of the box. I'm a bit new to android phones (finally got fed up with iPhone) so I know there is probably an app or setting that will let me do this, but I can't find it. Could anyone give me a pointer?
Welcome to the forums!

I'm pretty sure pressing any button will silence the device without having to slide to dismiss or accept the call. Try hitting the power button next time (opposed to volume rockers) and see if that does the trick. Either one should still work.