Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 5 and Metro PCS

    My galaxy S3 recently broke, and I am considering switching to a Nexus 5. I have read that many people do have success with it, so I am optimistic.

    My friend has a Nexus 5 (on T-Mobile) and I wanted to try my Sim Card on it to make sure I'd have service. I have yet to receive service from his Nexus, which is a bad sign.

    However, could the Sim card not working be due to his phone already being on a carrier, the phone being rooted, or anything else?

    I feel like the Nexus 5 should work on Metro, so any help is appreciated.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 and Metro PCS

    I'm not sure if you found the answers you were looking for but, each sim card is associated with a phones imei so using your sim in any other phone won't work. When I switched to my N5 with metro I went to an authorized dealer purchased a new sim for $10. paid an upgrade fee and was in and out of the store within 15 minutes. You can just purchase the sim card and upgrade on line and save yourself a few bucks too. The phone works great. Lte is strong and I couldn't be happier.

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 and Metro PCS

    Quote Originally Posted by rgar1 View Post
    The phone works great. Lte is strong and I couldn't be happier.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Not to deviate from the OP's concerns, but have you ran any speed tests on Metro PC?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 and Metro PCS

    Quote Originally Posted by rgar1 View Post
    I'm not sure if you found the answers you were looking for but, each sim card is associated with a phones imei so using your sim in any other phone won't work. When I switched to my N5 with metro I went to an authorized dealer purchased a new sim for $10. paid an upgrade fee and was in and out of the store within 15 minutes. You can just purchase the sim card and upgrade on line and save yourself a few bucks too. The phone works great. Lte is strong and I couldn't be happier.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Hmm I'm confused. I've read repeatedly that people re-use their Sim cards when they upgrade their phones (on the same carrier) or even just switch off between more than one device on the same carrier. I didn't know a Sim was tied to one imei number, I thought just to a phone number? O_o

    Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 and Metro PCS

    I tried that with my previous phone on Metro swapping the sim card to the N5. It wouldn't recognize the sim.
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 and Metro PCS

    Quote Originally Posted by rgar01 View Post
    I tried that with my previous phone on Metro swapping the sim card to the N5. It wouldn't recognize the sim.
    That's weird. Oh well, good to know.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 and Metro PCS

    You can still use your old MetroPCS sim card.
    You only need to go to the dealer in order to update your account with the new IMEI number (Nexus 5).

    That's what I've been doing when switching phones.
    Honestly, I hate that about MetroPCS. It always charges you $15 just to "add" your IMEI to the system.

    I know that some people say that you can do it for free by calling CS. However, if the IMEI is not on their system yet, CS is not able to help.. and you will have to go to the dealer.
    Thanked by:
    rgar01 

Similar Threads

  1. Moto G: Compass not working with Waze and Ingress
    By Bryan Lucas in forum Moto G
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-16-2014, 02:39 PM
  2. Issue with all Golf GPS apps and Pebble watch!
    By FAiello in forum Pebble Smartwatch
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2014, 10:23 PM
  3. replaced broken screen and now colours don't display correctly - driver issue?
    By dalmore_pam in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2014, 08:32 PM
  4. Nexus 7 2013 Stolen.
    By LinuxDais in forum Android Security Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2014, 09:51 AM
  5. Is there a way to change the status bar icon colors on the nexus 5?
    By angel21612 in forum Nexus 5 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions