I've used Nova Prime for years... should I give the default Google Now Launcher a try?

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been used to Nova Prime for years basically ever since I've had Android. I love that I can have a dock that scrolls. I love being bale to re-size EVERYTHING. I love being able to create gestures like double tap brings up the camera, etc...

Am I missing anything with the default Nexus 5 launcher? (Google Now)?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It looks nice, but as for functionality, you're not really missing out on anything. You can always test it out for a day or so, but my suspicion is that you'll go back to Nova.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Since Kit Kat allows an easy way to switch homes, it wouldn't hurt. I have 3 I can easily choose from. Enjoy.

Posted via Android Central App

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
If you do switch, what you'll be missing are those 3 things that you love....if I was you I wouldn't switch.

Posted via Serenity

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
No harm in switching, as mentioned they make it so easy to alternate now, it's really nice. my last phone I had to jump through hoops. The coolest thing about it is Google Now is immersive and a flick away; it does actually save you a couple seconds (maybe) in getting to it. And you get the always listening on home screen bit which may or may not be incredibly useful depending on how you use your phone.

But yeah; all the cool stuff you like with Nova (those are also among my fave parts of it) go away. And of course adding widgets/apps to the home screen is different so your muscle memory will be defeated when you go to add widgets - not really a big deal and once your brain registers it I think it's a nice way of doing it. I have the Google Now launcher set up a bit and play with it sometimes just because it's there. Plus if my wife gets one I should become proficient in it so the Resident Android Expert doesn't look like a noob with the stock launcher lol....Nova was the first thing on my phone when I got it so the GN launcher is still new to me in that respect ;)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK... I totally feel you.... When I had my S3, I bought Nova Prime and that was MY launcher... it had the features I wanted, performed the way I wanted... did everything I needed. When I got my Nexus 5, I tried the Google launcher for a second then just blew it off and loaded Nova Prime on it. But a week or so later, I decided to go back and give the Google launcher another look because I kind of liked how well it worked with Google Now.... I kind of got used to it and two months later, I haven't switched back. I eventually got used to the sparse feature set too.... Kind of realized that a lot of that was kind of fluff and didn't actually make my phone any easier to use.

But it's not for everyone. But it's not going to cost you to give it a try..... no reason not to run it for a couple of days and see how you like it.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've used both. Stuck pretty hard to Nova through the GNex and the N4 and loved it. Thought I'd go with the native launcher for the N5 and love that too. It all depends on what type of person your are. Most people, when they change to something new, spend all their time noticing how it doesn't work like the old. If that's you, stick with Nova. If you like playing with new stuff and can appreciate that it's different, leave it like it comes. They both work great. I missed the scrolling dock at first, but got used to it. You realize that you don't actually need to have 8 or 12 apps on your dock...scroll this, scroll that...it's really all the same. Most of us only constantly use 5 to 10 apps anyway. All the rest of them are easy enough to get to when you want them.

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I was a Nova launcher user for about 3 years and switched to the stock Google experience launcher when I got my nexus 5. However, I wasn't using any of the features you mentioned except for resizing. The one thing I missed was easily changing my dock icons. But that was solved with a 3rd party app.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When I got my Nexus 5, I really wasn't thrilled with it. I tried it for a few days, but quickly put Nova on it. At first, I tried to like it, because I wanted the listening feature, but after thinking about the fact that the device needed to be on at a home screen was a turnoff.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been used to Nova Prime for years basically ever since I've had Android. I love that I can have a dock that scrolls. I love being bale to re-size EVERYTHING. I love being able to create gestures like double tap brings up the camera, etc...

Am I missing anything with the default Nexus 5 launcher? (Google Now)?

No.

Sent from the ABYSS!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But other users may be able to point out features or the lack thereof that the OP might not have thought of until much later. No harm in asking what other people think.:)

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been used to Nova Prime for years basically ever since I've had Android. I love that I can have a dock that scrolls. I love being bale to re-size EVERYTHING. I love being able to create gestures like double tap brings up the camera, etc... Am I missing anything with the default Nexus 5 launcher? (Google Now)?

You can try it if you want. But I have NEVER used Nova Launcher before... until the Nexus 5. I hate the new stock launcher SO MUCH because it interferes with landscape rotation, doesn't put the CENTER page as the default, and has that stupid search bar permanently on every page (that is what really did it for me). Someone mentioned Nova, so I tried it, and it solved all my hatred. Thank god for choice!

(I have NO interest in Google Now. Not only that, but I have it completely disabled.)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Before the Nexus 5 I was strictly a Nova user. Since I've been using the stock Google launcher simply for the Ok Google function. It doesn't offer anywhere near the customizations as Nova.

I also agree with B. Diddy that you'll be back on Nova. But why not give Google Launcher a try for a bit and see how how you like it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney