New N5 user - full restore options

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all I have come from a iPhone and I must say absolutely love this phone. The only thing I need and confused about is s full restore option. I am not rooted and I am looking for a solution that if I wipe my phone I can restore it so that all my apps are returned exactly in order for each page and the data within the apps and my SMS. I am currently using My backup pro which backs up my SMS and apps but it doesn't restore them in the same position that they are now and the data within the apps. Anyone have a solution for this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi all I have come from a iPhone and I must say absolutely love this phone. The only thing I need and confused about is s full restore option. I am not rooted and I am looking for a solution that if I wipe my phone I can restore it so that all my apps are returned exactly in order for each page and the data within the apps and my SMS. I am currently using My backup pro which backs up my SMS and apps but it doesn't restore them in the same position that they are now and the data within the apps. Anyone have a solution for this?

Find the Wugfresh Toolkit. One of the features of the toolkit is that it will do a COMPLETE backup of your phone (it does a TON more, and teaches you some ins and outs of backing up, flashing, etc). It is a one stop shop.... Want to flash a custom release of Android? it'll do it. Got to send your phone back for some reason and need to go back to bone stock (even if you don't know where to get the stock files)? Yep....

The thing rocks.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Find the Wugfresh Toolkit. One of the features of the toolkit is that it will do a COMPLETE backup of your phone (it does a TON more, and teaches you some ins and outs of backing up, flashing, etc). It is a one stop shop.... Want to flash a custom release of Android? it'll do it. Got to send your phone back for some reason and need to go back to bone stock (even if you don't know where to get the stock files)? Yep....

It will allow you to backup the phone, after rooting the phone. But it is really not going to teach the steps of how to unlock-bootloader/root/backup/flash etc. It is a toolkit.
Some like toolkits, some don't. It something goes wrong, user is often left clueless about how to fix it. On a device like a Nexus 5, the steps are straightforward enough to perform without a toolkit. But as I said, some like it, some don't.

@sam00 - without rooting, you cannot perform a complete image backup (To be honest,IMO, it is really not needed). Check out the thread that Johnly referred to - if you have questions about backing up anything specific, ask away.

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to all looks like I will use all Google cloud services and Helium to backup my app data.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It will allow you to backup the phone, after rooting the phone. But it is really not going to teach the steps of how to unlock-bootloader/root/backup/flash etc. It is a toolkit.

Well.. it might be a toolkit, but the one thing that stood about was that the pop-ups and tooltips it generated (at least the version I used back when I did my Nexus7) It would say "Now booting into Fastboot to unlock the bootloader...." It would not just launch of bunch of windows and commands.... it cataloged what it was doing every step of the way. I thought that was pretty cool.... I had gone through all that stuff when I got my 5s so I was using it to save myself some time... but the fact that the developer took the time to try to explain each and every step was very cool.

So yes, it's a toolkit, but it kind of does it in a way that goes "OK, I am going to do this, but here is what I am doing so you understand why and how."

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well.. it might be a toolkit, but the one thing that stood about was that the pop-ups and tooltips it generated (at least the version I used back when I did my Nexus7) It would say "Now booting into Fastboot to unlock the bootloader...." It would not just launch of bunch of windows and commands.... it cataloged what it was doing every step of the way. I thought that was pretty cool.... I had gone through all that stuff when I got my 5s so I was using it to save myself some time... but the fact that the developer took the time to try to explain each and every step was very cool.

So yes, it's a toolkit, but it kind of does it in a way that goes "OK, I am going to do this, but here is what I am doing so you understand why and how."

I disagree with some of what you said. Yes, it is cool, and yes, it does tell you the name of the step that it is executing, and yes, it can save time for somebody unfamiliar with the process. The problem happens (and it does happen - go over to xda and a search will reveal a number of folks who are completely clueless about what exactly happened - they want to "Flash a ROM" and are running into issues. Other folks try to help, but need to know if they are sure they are rooted, and what custom recovery they have and whether they have supersu binary installed, and the user has no idea. (not saying that is the case with everyone, but I've seen enough instances of this to not recommend toolkits).

Other cases where a user used the toolkit to root, and then made some system updates that now prevent the user from installing OTA directly. Starts a new thread asking for help because user doesn't want to lose their data, and folks recommend flashing the stock boot.img or system.img. Again, the user has no idea how to flash just that image.

With a device like a Nexus 5, the steps are just so straightforward, and the process so well documented that doing the steps manually isn't that complicated. I've used that toolkit for my Galaxy Nexus
(because I couldn't get the drivers installed, no matter what... so yes, I get it. It has its benefits. But the user really should know what each step is, and WHY that step is needed.

But as I said in my earlier post, everyone has their preferences :)
Some like toolkits, some don't. It something goes wrong, user is often left clueless about how to fix it. On a device like a Nexus 5, the steps are straightforward enough to perform without a toolkit. But as I said, some like it, some don't.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
That's what I miss the most from Apple and iOS before switching to Android. Whenever I bought a new iPod touch I was able to transfer everything over from the cloud. When I signed into my Google account all it transfered from my tablet to phone was my wallpaper, contacts, notes and apps but all the data from the apps were not there. I had to sign into all of my accounts from the apps. A real PITA. Why can't Google use drive to backup all of your app data like Apple does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool