Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default

    Is anyone around here using any DNS changer app for their Nexus 5? If so, can you recommend one for me?
    Been searching for this kind of app, but I wasn't really sure.

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Recommend me your favorite DNS changer app.

    Did you need it for your home network or?

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Recommend me your favorite DNS changer app.

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Did you need it for your home network or?

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    My Nexus 5 off course.

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Recommend me your favorite DNS changer app.

    Quote Originally Posted by normandethan View Post
    My Nexus 5 off course.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Well yes but I meant for what network are you trying to change DNS on.. Home wifi? Mobile data?

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Recommend me your favorite DNS changer app.

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Well yes but I meant for what network are you trying to change DNS on.. Home wifi? Mobile data?

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Both of them actually. Mostly for the mobile data, I'm living in Indonesia and the network connection here sucks.

    From my Nexus 5
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Recommend me your favorite DNS changer app.

    Quote Originally Posted by normandethan View Post
    Both of them actually. Mostly for the mobile data, I'm living in Indonesia and the network connection here sucks.

    From my Nexus 5
    Changing your DNS is not going to help with your slow network connection. All data traffic will still use the same network; the only difference is that domain lookups (for example, the current IP address of The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia is 170.149.172.130) will no longer use your network's default domain name server. While this may result in a small (very small) overall improvement, the bulk of your traffic (99.99%) will not be affected in any way, shape or form.

    Having said that, a simple search at play.google.com turns up several DNS change apps, many of them highly rated. Why not just try a few and be done with it?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Recommend me your favorite DNS changer app.

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Changing your DNS is not going to help with your slow network connection. All data traffic will still use the same network; the only difference is that domain lookups (for example, the current IP address of The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia is 170.149.172.130) will no longer use your network's default domain name server. While this may result in a small (very small) overall improvement, the bulk of your traffic (99.99%) will not be affected in any way, shape or form.

    Having said that, a simple search at play.google.com turns up several DNS change apps, many of them highly rated. Why not just try a few and be done with it?
    Actually I have done searching in Play Store, and using some of them. And yes, the Google DNS helps me a lot.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  8. #8  
    demank's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

    Default Re: Recommend me your favorite DNS changer app.

    dear @normandethan,
    which app you use for this DNS setting?
    i need it too..
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Recommend me your favorite DNS changer app.

    Quote Originally Posted by demank View Post
    dear @normandethan,
    which app you use for this DNS setting?
    i need it too..
    Still not get it :/

    Sent from my Nexus 5
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Recommend me your favorite DNS changer app.

    If you are using KitKat on a Nexus 5 probably all the free apps in the Play Store don't do anything to your mobile network's DNS.
    There's currently only one app which is able to change DNS for Android 4.4 and it's called "Override DNS for KitKat" (I'm the author of that piece of software).

    Hope it helps.

    Bye
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Recommend me your favorite DNS changer app.

    Hi, will your app change DNS on a rooted Amazon Fire TV? Thanks!
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Recommend me your favorite DNS changer app.

    I don't think so (at least for now). There are 2 things to clarify before giving a definitive answer:
    1. Does the Fire TV run a 4.4-like Android?
    2. Is the Fire TV connected with Wi-Fi or with an ethernet cable?

Similar Threads

  1. Rooted GS3 would like some Rom Recommends????
    By Daermos in forum AT&T Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 09:24 PM
  2. Can't clear phone app's "launch by default"
    By Luksn in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 01:15 PM
  3. Change Samsung Apps country store???
    By derp61 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2014, 02:37 AM
  4. How can I back up app data?
    By Aleisha Torquato in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-06-2014, 01:19 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2014, 12:24 AM

Posting Permissions