How do I add a new incoming number to contacts.

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I expect there is a really simple answer to this, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

I have recently changed from iPhone to nexus 5.
On my iPhone when someone new phoned me it was easy to add that number to my contacts and edit the info about it.
However, I just cannot figure out how to do that with my Nexus 5. In the end, all I could do was write down the new number, then go to People and add it, and the name of the caller, manually.
I'm sure there must be a more efficient way. Can somebody let me know?
Thanks.

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hit your dialer icon. The first window to pop up should show the last person that called. Select the blank picture and add the number as a contact.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to your Dialer app, then tap the clock icon at the bottom left, which is the Call History. Find the phone number you want to add, and tap the contact pic to the left of it (if the person isn't in your contacts, then it'll be a blank contact pic). You'll see a window appear with that phone number--tap the icon that looks like a person's silhouette with a plus sign. This will bring up your contact list--here, you can either select an existing contact to add that phone number to, or you can create a new contact (which is at the bottom of the screen).

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. So I still have to write down the number to remember it?
Following your instructions, it brings up a fresh contact form, into which I have to enter the telephone number. Is there no way that I can copy the number automatically into my contacts app without doing it manually?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It should automatically put the phone number into the new contact. You're creating a new contact, right?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
As already mentioned, tap the blank picture icon. A window pops up with the phone number in the top line and, at the right edge of the same line, a head and shoulders icon with a + symbol. Tap that icon to open the People app and now tap the Create a New Contact button at the bottom of the screen. A new contact form opens with the number pre-populated. Alternately, tap an existing contact and, once again, the number should pre-populate a phone number slot below any existing numbers for the selected contact.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It would be ideal if you could show us some screenshots of what you see during this process. What N4Newbie and I described should work without difficulty on a Nexus 5.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Press and hold the Power button and Volume Down button at the same time for about half a second. You can then view the screenshot in your Gallery or Photos app. To post it using your phone, you have to use the Tapatalk-based Android Central Forums app. Otherwise, you could upload the screenshot to Google Drive, then download it to your computer and use the AC website to post the screenshot.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think you are missing a step. When you long press on the incoming call in the dialer...the tap the person with the plus sign..it will take you to your contact list...at the bottom of that list it will say add a new contact..or something like that...tap that and a contact card will pop up with the number already inserted.

RevLauren

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your answer to this question. I know it's one of those things which should seem obvious, and yet it isn't, unless one thinks to tap on that empty silhouette next to the incoming call number. That's one function that was more intuitive on my Moto X. Anyway, I do appreciate being able to find an answer to this very small dilemma. :)

Elwood Sacks

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your answer to this question. I know it's one of those things which should seem obvious, and yet it isn't, unless one thinks to tap on that empty silhouette next to the incoming call number. That's one function that was more intuitive on my Moto X. Anyway, I do appreciate being able to find an answer to this very small dilemma. :)

Never mind. I've lost too much time already

Last edited by a moderator:

nc3man

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
I stumbled upon this post and want to reply there is one other possible issue. After an android update awhile ago, there seemed to be a funny interaction with my theme - "Material Black." From my Recents call Log, when I click on the blank silhouette next to the number, I indeed get the expected screen with the number in the top middle. With that theme, I could NOT see the "CREATE CONTACT" and "UPDATE EXISTING" buttons on the bottom of the screen. The text was WHITE on a WHITE background. I changed themes "sd-Black" and all is fine now. Not to trash "Material Black" but that was a paid theme while "sd-Black" is free and, after a few minutes readjusting, I like it better. So, try changing themes if things don't "seem" to appear as described correctly by @N4Newbie