Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I add a new incoming number to contacts.

I expect there is a really simple answer to this, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

I have recently changed from iPhone to nexus 5.
    On my iPhone when someone new phoned me it was easy to add that number to my contacts and edit the info about it.
    However, I just cannot figure out how to do that with my Nexus 5. In the end, all I could do was write down the new number, then go to People and add it, and the name of the caller, manually.
    I'm sure there must be a more efficient way. Can somebody let me know?
    Thanks.

Default Re: How do I add a new incoming number to contacts.

Hit your dialer icon. The first window to pop up should show the last person that called. Select the blank picture and add the number as a contact.

Go to your Dialer app, then tap the clock icon at the bottom left, which is the Call History. Find the phone number you want to add, and tap the contact pic to the left of it (if the person isn't in your contacts, then it'll be a blank contact pic). You'll see a window appear with that phone number--tap the icon that looks like a person's silhouette with a plus sign. This will bring up your contact list--here, you can either select an existing contact to add that phone number to, or you can create a new contact (which is at the bottom of the screen).
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks. So I still have to write down the number to remember it?
    Following your instructions, it brings up a fresh contact form, into which I have to enter the telephone number. Is there no way that I can copy the number automatically into my contacts app without doing it manually?

It should automatically put the phone number into the new contact. You're creating a new contact, right?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yes, I thought it should but it doesn't.

As already mentioned, tap the blank picture icon. A window pops up with the phone number in the top line and, at the right edge of the same line, a head and shoulders icon with a + symbol. Tap that icon to open the People app and now tap the Create a New Contact button at the bottom of the screen. A new contact form opens with the number pre-populated. Alternately, tap an existing contact and, once again, the number should pre-populate a phone number slot below any existing numbers for the selected contact.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Well, I do that exactly, and the number does not appear. I just get a blank field.

It would be ideal if you could show us some screenshots of what you see during this process. What N4Newbie and I described should work without difficulty on a Nexus 5.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks, but, sorry, how do I make a screenshot?
    OK, I'll google it to find out.

Press and hold the Power button and Volume Down button at the same time for about half a second. You can then view the screenshot in your Gallery or Photos app. To post it using your phone, you have to use the Tapatalk-based Android Central Forums app. Otherwise, you could upload the screenshot to Google Drive, then download it to your computer and use the AC website to post the screenshot.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

I think you are missing a step. When you long press on the incoming call in the dialer...the tap the person with the plus sign..it will take you to your contact list...at the bottom of that list it will say add a new contact..or something like that...tap that and a contact card will pop up with the number already inserted.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thanks for your helps. I'll try and sort this out and will get back to you in a day or two.