Nexus 5: I messed up 2 screen protectors

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: I messed up 2 screen protectors.

According to Robbie317, you don't need any protection. You'll be fine without a screen protector/case. ;)

lol..... Again I said SHOULDN'T need... not DON'T need.... I clearly said doesn't mean you won't get a scratch... My GS3 had one tiny hairline scratch.... Same with my EVO 4G LTE... My Nexus is still spotless so far....

Is Gorilla glass resistant to scratches? I got my N5 for a week only and this is my first time having a gorilla glass phone. For now it has no scratches.

It SHOULD hold up and not scratch easily but you can scratch it....

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I know this is a Android forum but I am going to ask anyway. What about the next iPhone rumors having sapphire glass does sand scratch that?

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
You really shouldn't be running water over a regular plastic screen protector if it isn't a wet-apply one.
I don't see why not. A bit of water on it helps position it correctly once it is on and makes it easier to squeeze out any air that got trapped. And if you do happen to get some dust stuck to under side of it putting it under a running tap is a good way cleanly get the dust off. I've been using water to apply screen protectors (that aren't marked as wet apply) for years to no ill effect.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why not. A bit of water on it helps position it correctly once it is on and makes it easier to squeeze out any air that got trapped. And if you do happen to get some dust stuck to under side of it putting it under a running tap is a good way cleanly get the dust off. I've been using water to apply screen protectors (that aren't marked as wet apply) for years to no ill effect.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I just don't recommend it because there is a chance for some protectors to lose some adhesive properties afterwards, or you may still have dust after running it under the water.

I find simply using tape is perfectly fine for removing dust. The main issue people have with the whole removal-reapply thing (if it wasn't lined up) is that it allows for dust to get under the film again and tape helps fix that.

I use a cloth along the edge of a rigid card to press out the bubbles without scratching the film (if the protection film for the screen protector is gone already). Typically if you just use a card to apply the film initially you won't run into bubbles aside from the dust, but removal and re-application may lead to some. Regular plastic protectors are easy enough to remove to not require water (vs. wet-apply) so I just don't bother...

... but of course there isn't one set method to apply protectors. As long as it's on there and you're good with the application then it's fine. It's just easier for me to not depend on the water since I may need to apply a screen protector without running water available.

Igneel

May 12, 2014
Visit site

lol..... Again I said SHOULDN'T need... not DON'T need.... I clearly said doesn't mean you won't get a scratch... My GS3 had one tiny hairline scratch.... Same with my EVO 4G LTE... My Nexus is still spotless so far....

I'll be careful now. I really thought it was immune to scratches...

It SHOULD hold up and not scratch easily but you can scratch it....

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I'll get one. It's better to be sure.

That is all that actually matters... as long as your happy and it makes you feel comfortable and safe with your device go for it....

Good luck... I hated trying to get those things on... lol....

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I know this is a Android forum but I am going to ask anyway. What about the next iPhone rumors having sapphire glass does sand scratch that?

Sapphire is rated a little more scratch resistant to GG3..... but it'll still scratch given the right circumstances. There is no such thing as a scratch-proof screen. Oh, I've also read that the Sapphire glass might be more prone to shattering..... and what Apple needs is more people walking round with iPhones with shattered screens.

You know... if was designing a phone, I'd design the screen to be very resistant to cracks and hits from the side, which would most likely be some kind of relatively pliant, but optically clear plastic. Then slap a REMOVABLE glass overlay 'protector' on it (could you make a glass protector from GG3?). Countersink it so there's no seam and the glass protector sits flush with the bezel or something.... Worst case scenario is that you drop it and shatter the glass protector, and you can then pop it off and replace it with a new one. Put a three pack of the overlays in with the box so people have spares.

I have a Nexus 5.... it had a plastic SP that got put on when I bought it.... never liked the feel of those things. After a vacation, the plastic protector did its job and got absolutely thrashed, but screen remained pristine. I went naked for a month or so and even though I was nervous the entire time, it remained unscathed. I ended up purchasing a Nilikin tempered glass screen protector... thing is the bomb.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

How do you fit one of those on with this case I use. Amazon.com: Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible TPU Case for LG Nexus 5 - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories
I could never get it on right without pealing on the bottom.

A glass screen protector shouldn't have that issue, though if the edge of that case overlaps to cover any measurable part of the actual screen you might have to contend with it not wanting to properly fit over the slightly thicker dimension of a glass screen protector (though Spigen makes Amazon.com: Spigen? Google Nexus 5 Screen Protector Glass Slim [Crystal] [GLAS.t NANO SLIM] (0.15mm) Thin Lightweight 9H Hardness Tempered Glass Screen Protector Clear for Nexus 5 - GLAS.t NANO SLIM (SGP10666): Cell Phones & Accessories which is thin enough at only 0.15" that it might not present a problem).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

How do you fit one of those on with this case I use.

It all depends on the case. Most, if not all, of the glass screens come really close to the bezels. I bought a Nikay Nillkin glass, and it's sitting inside a Ringke Fusion case. The glass clears the inside edge of the case, but just barely....It may very well be that the Diztronic case just won't allow clearance for glass. There are a fair number of cases and bumpers that won't. I bought the Ringke specifically for that reason.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine from ebay Google Nexus 5 Screen Protector GEARMAXX Ultra Clear | eBay
They shipped for free and 12 bucks aint that bad a deal.
Best part was the installation, did it myself and it is real smooth.
Give it a try, worked for me :)

For the same price (well, actually $0.01 less) you can get Screen Protector for LG Nexus 5 Nillkin Anti Explosion Temper Glass 9H Hardness | eBay. Tempered glass feels better, lasts longer, and installation is easier. Both ship from China for free, so I'd highly recommend this as an alternative. There are other tempered glass options shipped free from China for as little as $4.99, but I can't speak for their quality (though tbh they're probably fine); I use the Nillkin on mine and it's flawless. Took about 10 days to get to me, east coast of USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol