Nexus 5: I messed up 2 screen protectors

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The glass one I sent back to Amazon and another one that came with a shell case. I apply them in the shower I use a microfiber cloth I use tape yet freaking dust and air bubbles still get in it. Once I take it off and try to re apply its over ruined and in the garbage it goes.

I am asking with the TPU case using the stylus and wearing in my pants I am worried about scratches. What I am really worried is that I have a lot of dust in my house really bad. Wiping the screen sometimes I get that hard brown dust and I worry that might scratch the screen. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: I messed up 2 screen protectors.

I got a Ballistic case that comes with a screen protector. I like it because I like having my phones out of cases when I am at home (My apartment is mostly carpeted, and in that instance I figure the chances of something bad happening are slim). Since the protector slips in and out of the case it offers protection when I am out and about and I don't have to apply anything to the device.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Well were I live I have a lot I'd dust that is why it is a PITA to install screen protectors. The only one I got on perfect was my Nexus 7 tablet. I never got one on perfect on any devices even iPods and Nano and many I had to throw away.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

That is the main reason for purchasing a 5-pack of screen protectors. If you are as precise as I am about bubbles, a 5-pack is a must.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Well the crappy glass one only gave you one and it was $16 so I sent it back and said it did not fit my device.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I'd suggest setting up a clean area to set the device and install the screen protector. A hard flat surface should work. Also, use the lint and dust sticker if the screen protector comes with one. I've purchased the Spigen screen protector (3-pack)and it comes with stickers to remove debris on the screen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

Yes, installing screen protectors is a pain. You have to be really, really careful, and even then it's hard to get it just right. It also depends on how tolerant you are (i.e. how "perfect" you want it to be). I've gone through my share of screen protectors too, because I want it to be near perfect. Or at least as close to it as I can get before I get so frustrated that I just settle for it staying on and not covering up any of the camera or speaker holes. :) Sometimes, you can do everything right but you just get a bit unlucky.

You may have seen this already, but here's a video of the "hinge" method I used which worked for me (after a 3 or 4 tries...).
Hinge Method for amFilm Screen Protector Installation - YouTube

One other suggesting I heard was to turn of your phone and let it cool off before you install the screen protector. They said that one of the causes of bubbles is heat from the display.

Good luck.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I don't want to try no more screen protectors. My question is yet again with its gorilla glass do I really need a screen protector?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Well the crappy glass one only gave you one and it was $16 so I sent it back and said it did not fit my device.

So... umm... you made the manufacturer/seller pay for your mistake/error?

I don't want to try no more screen protectors. My question is yet again with its gorilla glass do I really need a screen protector?
Depends on your usage. If you are super careful with your phone screen, and can take care to not expose it to any abrasives, no - you don't need it. But if you work in a sandpaper factory (for example), you probably need a screen protector.
Gorrila Glass is not 100% scratch proof. Even a diamond can be scratched.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

That is because where I live it is nearly impossible even in a steamy bathroom to get one on without any dust or bubbles and once I remove it to try to remove the dust and bubbles it is all over. It makes it worse after I run it under water as there are spots that never go away that you can really see on white backgrounds. If it was a $5 protector pack of 3 I would not have bothered but to pay over $15 just for one you better believe I am going to send it back.

Paskell

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I got a nillkin glass one was 11 bucks on eBay put it on easy first try. Just follow their instructions..

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

You have good protection with a device featuring gorilla glass, but that doesn't mean you won't get a scratch. With that, adding a screen protector doesn't guarantee full protection either, but it adds a layer of additional protection and peace of mind that many feel comfortable having.

My Nexus 5 has a light scratch on the screen and I'm very careful with were I set and store it. I've since installed a screen protector.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Lance Hollingsworth

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

I used to be very worried about scratching the faces of my phone. One day I was in the apple store and asked the employee if my iPhone 4 needed protection. She took her 4 out along with her set of keys. She then went at the face of her phone with the keys like a dog digging a hole in the ground. When I picked myself up off the floor, I looked at her phone and no scratches.

Since then, I have stopped using screen protectors (now I'm on a Nexus 5). I am careful not to actively put my phone in a place that could give an opportunity to scratch (pocket with keys) but have not scratched a device in 3 years. I can't guarantee your situation, but this is my story.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Well I bought these screen protectors off of Amazon.
Amazon.com: iSmooth Google Nexus 5 Ultra Clear Premium HD Screen Protector - 3 Pack - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories
It was a real pain to put on as I had to get tape because there was a dust bubble underneath it. I installed it in the bathroom with the steamy shower yet a couple of peaces of dust still got on it. It is on better than the last one I put on and threw away but still not perfect a bit uneven. The one I got on the Nexus 7 was the only one I put on perfectly.

Oliver Telfor

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

Well I bought these screen protectors off of Amazon.
Amazon.com: iSmooth Google Nexus 5 Ultra Clear Premium HD Screen Protector - 3 Pack - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories
It was a real pain to put on as I had to get tape because there was a dust bubble underneath it. I installed it in the bathroom with the steamy shower yet a couple of peaces of dust still got on it. It is on better than the last one I put on and threw away but still not perfect a bit uneven. The one I got on the Nexus 7 was the only one I put on perfectly.

Hi Tony,

We get people complaining about application issues and dust all the time. This should help you out for your next application Blog - How to apply a screen protector in 5 minutes, or less.

And if you get any bubbles Blog - Bubble Trouble? Let's Seek & Destroy...

Hope this helps.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

One could ask the same question about whether one ever needed gorilla glass instead of a much cheaper, softer glass. It's all levels of protection. GG will hold against stronger abrasion than softer glasses, but can still be scarred. A screen protector basically just adds a second skin so that if scratching occurs, you can later take off the SP and still have a 'mint' condition factory display.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

That is because where I live it is nearly impossible even in a steamy bathroom to get one on without any dust or bubbles and once I remove it to try to remove the dust and bubbles it is all over. It makes it worse after I run it under water as there are spots that never go away that you can really see on white backgrounds. If it was a $5 protector pack of 3 I would not have bothered but to pay over $15 just for one you better believe I am going to send it back.

That's as inappropriate as buying clothing online, tearing it on something while wearing it out, and then returning it on the basis that it they send you the wrong size. It's a pretty easy case to argue that causing the seller to incur a loss by the buyer misrepresenting the situation to facilitate a return for refund is fraud. It is not the vendor's fault if the buyer does not exercise appropriate regard for the instructions provided with the product. If you knew after reading the instructions that you would not be able to provide an appropriately clean environment, you should not have attempted to use the product unless you were willing to accept the possibility that you might not get ideal results.

As to installation, did you let the steam in the bathroom settle first, or try it when it was still mostly airborne? Airborne dust motes are minimized after the steam has mostly condensed and settled, not during the process; if you do it when there is still a good bit of mist in the air, you're likely to still have problems. Also, every screen protector I've ever purchased has said that removing and reapplying them is not recommended and will be unlikely to achieve optimal results.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Dust isn't going to scratch gorilla glass but find sand particles that has a few pounds of pressure applied will. Even sand without the pressure won't scratch Corning? Gorilla? Glass 3 but most people scratch their glass by either putting the phone screen down on a surface that has find sand or drops their phone face down with force. I use a case that keeps the screen with a tiny raised lip that keeps it from touching any flat surface. I'm not worried about scratching my Gorilla Glass screen since I don't have any diamonds in my pocket.

Your Nexus 5 has Corning? Gorilla? Glass 3 just like the Samsung 4 in this video where they try to scratch the Corning? Gorilla? Glass 3.

mbEggers

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
My son just goofed on applying his tempered glass screen protector. It was full of smudges, dust, hair, etc. We covered the bottom of a small plastic dish with clear isopropyl alcohol (the kind they use for cuts & scrapes). We dropped the screen protector in the alcohol and let it soak for a minute or two. We then took it out (obviously touching only the sides) and dried it with a hair dryer. We did not wipe it at all. When it was completely dry and looked clean, we reapplied it. He's very satisfied with the result.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Screen protectors can be difficult. That's why I always have the salesperson at Best Buy do them. I pay extra, but if they mess it up, they have to do it all over again with no added cost to me. This is an expensive option, but it is the only option I am comfortable with at this time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3... yeah, it's spectacular!