How can I browse files on my Nexus 5 from my computer using Bluetooth?

Cortimi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Apparently I lack sufficient brainpower to do something that, in my small feeble mind, I assumed would be easy: connect my Nexus 5 to a Windows 7 PC via Bluetooth so that I can access the storage files on my Nexus. Very specific, very simple, yet it does not work. I have searched everywhere, and I do not need a tutorial on how to pair them. I have them paired. That pairing does not do anything, it has no function.

On my Nexus 5, it says it is paired to my PC. On my PC, I have a fugly *** Nokia-esque icon that has "Nexus 5" under icon listed under Bluetooth Devices. I do not understand what else I need to do, can someone help me?

P.S. How do I find "Bluetooth drivers"? Windows update has no clue WTF to do, and like I said, I am retarded and lack basic reading comprehension since I cannot find any information that is relevant through searching online.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Apparently I lack sufficient brainpower to do something that, in my small feeble mind, I assumed would be easy: connect my Nexus 5 to a Windows 7 PC via Bluetooth so that I can access the storage files on my Nexus. Very specific, very simple, yet it does not work. I have searched everywhere, and I do not need a tutorial on how to pair them. I have them paired. That pairing does not do anything, it has no function.

On my Nexus 5, it says it is paired to my PC. On my PC, I have a fugly *** Nokia-esque icon that has "Nexus 5" under icon listed under Bluetooth Devices. I do not understand what else I need to do, can someone help me?

Have you tried using a USB Cable? Also, if you are aiming for wireless file transfer, I suggest using this:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....smarterdroid.wififiletransfer&token=fRr1yCBu

Cortimi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
USB works fine, I am trying to fix the plethora of "Unknown Services" errors under windows. The Bluetooth simply does not function on my PC as it does on every other video I have watched and thread I have read. Apparently I am blind as well as dumb.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this article will help: http://m.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-bluetooth-to-transfer-files-between-a-c.html

As far as I know, you can't connect your phone to PC via Bluetooth and have the phone show up in Windows Explorer as if it were hooked up via USB. There are a number of apps available that allow your phone to explore other Bluetooth devices, like ES File Explorer. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&token=cNCgz5u8

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Cortimi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
That article fails at Step 2, that is my entire point. There is no such thing as "Send File". There is nothing except for "unknown service". There truly must be a way to do this without third-party apps.

Also, if I try to share something on the phone via Bluetooth on my phone, I get a wonderfully specific error stating "The file wasn't sent to XXXX. Reason: Request can't be handled correctly."

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
There are many applications in the Play Store that will allow you to do this by acting as an FTP server running on your phone. You can connect to this server via LAN (e.g. your WiFi network) and use it to browse, push, and pull files from your computer. ES File Explorer, for example, is capable of doing this over Bluetooth.

As for doing this without third-party apps... your best bet would probably be manual transfers using ADB commands. You can configure ADB to work over WiFi, but be aware that you'll need to re-connect the devices (using a cable) after the client device (phone) has been restarted.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Out of curiosity, why does it have to be done via bluetooth when it can definitely be done via USB?

Sent from my Anthem filled Note 3

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity, why does it have to be done via bluetooth when it can definitely be done via USB?

Sent from my Anthem filled Note 3

I think he's just looking for the convenience of doing it wireless...

But agreed, USB is the way to go. It's easy and you know it works :)

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think he's just looking for the convenience of doing it wireless...

That's what I figured as well, but there are many more solutions for browsing the phone's directories on your computer using wifi compared to Bluetooth solutions.

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
That's what I figured as well, but there are many more solutions for browsing the phone's directories on your computer using wifi compared to Bluetooth solutions.

Agreed. Options/support are far greater with Wi-Fi

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)

Cortimi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much just wanted to do just to do it. Turns out my BT dongle was a cheap China-made POS (NewEgg specials FTL) that wouldn't work with anything, because the only site that had drivers for it went offline years ago. So yeah, now I really feel like a putz.

Patrick Lelie

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
To answer some questions to everyone in this thread
1) I to have the same problem, I can't connect my samsung galaxy tab and or s5 mini with bluetooth to my pc and just browse the files on both devices
Why should one want to do this ?
Well because I have several devices which work with different cables and I do not like taking all thoise cables with me all the time, it's already sad enough that they have different adapters which I'm obliged to take with me. I also have several locations where I have computers/laaptops which I want to share data with. Being able to do this with my Phone and/or tablet would be very handy. There is enough space on these devices and it would spare me the hassle of carying an external disk with me. What else is all this space for on such devices ?
So, that will answer some questions.
Why do I think that this should be possible ?
Well, on my old symbian (I know that many of you will not like to hear this) nokia Phone, it was possible.
I connected smoothly with bluetooth, the pc got a serie of drivers (most likely from nokia) which it installed and I was on the move.
So, now I finally moved to android (forced because there are no new apps anymore for symbian), the new and great and ....
Just to see that this new and great os can not do something that was already there for many years in the symbian world.
I must say that I do find this hard to beliueve and that this is very sad.
I do hope that somebody out there has a solution for this.

ashley1302

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
I would like to push pictures from my Nexus 5 to my computer using Bluetooth. I do know that a USB cable wold be the easiest way. However just realized that the charger wire that came with the phone has the same connector at both ends - no USB port - unlike other chargers that have a USB port at the power plug end.
Have downloaded ES File Explorer on my Nexus 5, but do not know how to initiate file transfer to my laptop. The laptop and Nexus 5 are already paired. Please help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress