Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is it okay to use T-Mobile hotspot as my home wi-fi?

If I have unlimited data on my T-Mobile plan, couldn't I just use the Nexus 5 as a hot spot for my home internet?

I get 30mbps download speeds in my house, which is faster than what I'm currently paying for with Time Warner.

Are there any cons in doing this?

Edit: I see that T-Mobile charges $40/month for unlimited 4G data but only 5gb of mobile hotspot data... is there any way for them to not recognize that I'm using my device as a hotspot? Lol

Default Re: Is it okay to use T-Mobile hotspot as my home wi-fi?

Quote Originally Posted by Nguyenning View Post
    If I have unlimited data on my T-Mobile plan, couldn't I just use the Nexus 5 as a hot spot for my home internet?

I get 30mbps download speeds in my house, which is faster than what I'm currently paying for with Time Warner.

Are there any cons in doing this?

Edit: I see that T-Mobile charges $40/month for unlimited 4G data but only 5gb of mobile hotspot data... is there any way for them to not recognize that I'm using my device as a hotspot? Lol
    Umm I'm not too sure.. I just know most of the time unlimited isn't really unlimited I THINK. Might be just a high cap, but hey I think I've seen some people use 20GBs before solo I'm not sure.

Posted via Android Central App

Right, but it doesn't matter since there's a 5 GB tethering cap.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Right, but it doesn't matter since there's a 5 GB tethering cap.
    True

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

If I'm rooted and use an app like Wireless Tether, will T-Mobile notice my tethering then?

Quote Originally Posted by rrballer11 View Post
    Umm I'm not too sure.. I just know most of the time unlimited isn't really unlimited I THINK. Might be just a high cap, but hey I think I've seen some people use 20GBs before solo I'm not sure.

I'm using a Verizon mifi hotspot as my home internet connection (grandfathered under the ancient uncapped unlimited for $50, which for some reason they let me keep and move to an LTE hotspot ), and use 25-35 GB/month with moderately high gaming and netflix/hulu/amazon streaming. But sometimes VZ gets a little shaky, and I've flipped on my N5 on T-mo. Works like a charm. As others have said, you'll have a data cap to contend with. If you plan on doing any video streaming or gaming, forget about it unless you have one of the ridiculously high caps.

If I'm rooted and use an app like Wireless Tether, will T-Mobile notice my tethering then?
    They have the ability to differentiate data used by another device - at least, data used by non-android, to be sure. I know they've effectively shut down similar 3rd party apps (at least from circumventing the tethering cap) in the past. If nothing else, give it a try and take note of what T-mo's usage app shows as 'tethered data used' (if you have it installed, it's generally up-to-the-minute in tracking if you click for detailed usage) before and after.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,729 Global Posts

Yes
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G