Have almost decided on a N5

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I went through my old phone draw and sold some on ebay, so now I have about $358 to buy a new phone, I'm down to deciding between a Nexus 5 and an unlocked Moto X. I have about 10 days before my PayPal money is available so I'm using that time to make up my mind. The last Nexus I owned was a Galaxy Nexus, I like some of the features that the Moto X had but I'm not totally sure about the rest of the phone in general. Anyone who owns or has owned both care to chime in with opinions, I would greatly appreciate it, Thank you

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I went through my old phone draw and sold some on ebay, so now I have about $358 to buy a new phone, I'm down to deciding between a Nexus 5 and an unlocked Moto X. I have about 10 days before my PayPal money is available so I'm using that time to make up my mind. The last Nexus I owned was a Galaxy Nexus, I like some of the features that the Moto X had but I'm not totally sure about the rest of the phone in general. Anyone who owns or has owned both care to chime in with opinions, I would greatly appreciate it, Thank you

I have both. I will try to sum everything up in a few points.

Moto X: I love the software optimization with the hardware. Between that, and the near Vanilla ROM, this thing is smooth. The Always Listening, and Active Notifications are great features. Compared to my old S3, which was rooted, Custom ROM, battery friendly kernel, and overclocked CPU, the X ran circles around it. Battery life is outstanding. I am in a medium to weak Sprint signal area and I can easily make 12+ hours on a charge (I typically recharge at 30% remaining). Physical size seems to be very good. I think this is my sweet spot. Feels very comfortable.

Nexus 5: Love the screen. Whites are very close to pure white. Very bright screen. Lower brightness is nearly dark. Physical size is ok. Nothing to complain about. Very smooth Interface. I will say my battery life is about 9 hours, BUT given my wonderful coverage of Sprint (sarcasm) and the fact that I am not totally sure the radios are the best match for Sprint is one of the bigger reasons ad to why I have poor battery life.

Overall, I will say this: The X is hands down one of the best phones I have had. The Nexus is a very close second (I often have a hard time deciding which phone to go with for the day). I will run my X until the battery goes on it, then I will bury it with full Android honors. The X is most likely the phone I would pick between the two. However, I am reviewing Liquidsmooth as a Custom ROM, and it brings some of the Moto X features to the Nexus, mainly the Active Notifications.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I may not be the most qualified, but I have the Droid Maxx and the Nexus 5. I totally agree with Golfdriver's comments, and if I were in your position, or if I were able to do it all over again, I would have gotten a Moto X over the Nexus 5, or instead of the Maxx at least.

I feel like the Moto X is a more personal device, which I want in a phone. The main reason I didn't get a Moto X was because they didn't have all the colors I wanted available through Moto Maker at launch =\

I mainly got the Nexus 5 off of the hype, and because I skipped the Nexus 4. It's still a good phone, and I'm using it every day, but my choice would be the Moto X, for whatever that's worth...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was trying to decide between a Nexus 5 and a Moto X, but ultimately for me, the larger screen of the Nexus 5 attracted me. When I played around with the X (which is clearly a great phone), I kept thinking that things looked a little small. For my hands and eyes, the Nexus 5's screen size is perfect (and as mentioned before, the screen quality is excellent). Battery is very average, so if you're the type who works a phone to the bone, it may not be for you--you'd need to recharge at least once in the middle of the day. But I'm only a moderate user, so the phone almost always lasts me through the day.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I ran by an AT&T store to spend some time playing around with a Moto X today, I should not have done that because it did not help me make a decision, I really like the phone the screen looks just fine, the camera takes good enough pictures for what I use a phone camera for, I really liked the phone, but as I have seen mentioned, it just seems a little small, I was using a note 2 until I broke it back in December, have been using an LG Optimus G Pro since then, but I am getting a little tired of the big a** phones, maybe that is why the Moto X feels so small to me, I am going to go by a T Mobile store and see if I can check out the N% and Moto X side by side, I assume T Mobile sells the N5 in their stores.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If I could have gotten a Moto X which were carrier neutral like my Nexus 5, and the same price at the time, I probably would have. But as it is, I am still in love with my Nexus 5. Using it on prepaid is excellent. I love the screen. My other phone has a screen which I think is similar to the Moto X, and it's good, but I can definitely tell the difference. I love holding my Nexus 5 and call quality is excellent which I was worried about because of all the problems I saw posted about reception. Everything on this phone is excellent. I love the on screen buttons too, but the Moto X has them also. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile should have N5's to play with. Keep in mind that they only carry the 16 GB version, though, so if you decide to get one, consider the 32 GB version straight from Google.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
To the OP: either way, you will choose a solid device. That much I can say.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok I went to a T Mobile store and did get to have both the Nexus 5 and Moto X together at the same time. There is a big difference, well to me anyway, in the feel and size of the phones. I did like the Nexus better. I pretty much made up my mind on a 32GB Nexus, now I just have to wait on Ebay / PayPal to release my money :)

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
So at this point of the year, I would take into consideration that the next gen of the moto x and nexus 5 will be out in about four to six months. I know, I know, there will always be something new in the horizon. I just like to time my purchases so I'm using the latest and greatest.

The new moto x will be out this summer, personally if I were looking right now I would wait for this phone and hope it retails for 350-400.

The nexus 5 in its current form has fantastic specs, a great processor and still the best bang for your buck. It will be at least 6 months till the nexus 6 comes out.

I have a nexus 5, don't regret my purchase. The next phone might be a Motorola though. We'll see what they come out with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton