Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David Lessnau
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Unable to connect to Google Services

Cannot connect to any google services - email / playstore / search / maps / google cards / Hangouts - delay in SMS.
    Can do yahoo search / e mail from preloaded e mail app.
    Using Nexus 5 KitKat 4.4.2 Version KOT49H
    In the settings menu - the WiFi is orange in colour - click - wifi connects to other sites
    Please help.
    Anil
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-14-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Default Re: Unable to connect to google services

If your WiFi icon is orange, that means you're not connected to the web. Have you rebooted the phone (hold the power button for about 10 seconds until it vibrates)? If that doesn't work, try rebooting your router.
    srkmagnus likes this.

Global Posts
    8,409 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by David Lessnau View Post
    If your WiFi icon is orange, that means you're not connected to the web. Have you rebooted the phone (hold the power button for about 10 seconds until it vibrates)? If that doesn't work, try rebooting your router.
    I agree. OP, try the fixes provided by David and let us know how it goes.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Did as advised - still no luck. Also same issue on Nexus 7 - 2012.

On those devices if you go to 'google.com' what happens? Do other Web related activities work? I would also try forgetting your WiFi network on your device to see if that works.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

On Nexus 7 also - Google.com does not work. On laptops - it works. Other sites open on both Nexus 5 and on Nexus 7. Yahoo search works - Google search does not.

Default Re: Nexus 5: Unable to connect to Google Services

Are you able to access you GMail account via a desktop browser?

Posted via Motorola Xoom tablet
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Yes able to access from laptop

You could try booting your Nexus 5 (and 7, too -- but I don't know if the following is the same process for it) into Safe Mode. That will start it up without any apps so you can see if one of them is the problem:

- Ensure your device's screen is on, then press & hold the Power button.
    - Touch & hold the Power off option in the dialog box.
    - Touch OK in the following dialog to start safe mode.

When you're done trying Safe Mode, just reboot your phone to return to normal operation.

I guess I should also ask how your Google account looks on the phone: Settings | Accounts | Google. Is the email address correct? Is the icon next to it green? Any error messages?

EDIT: you could also try clearing your cache: Settings | Device | Storage, tap "Cached Data" and accept the prompt.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by David Lessnau View Post
    You could try booting your Nexus 5 (and 7, too -- but I don't know if the following is the same process for it) into Safe Mode. That will start it up without any apps so you can see if one of them is the problem:

- Ensure your device's screen is on, then press & hold the Power button.
    - Touch & hold the Power off option in the dialog box.
    - Touch OK in the following dialog to start safe mode.

When you're done trying Safe Mode, just reboot your phone to return to normal operation.

I guess I should also ask how your Google account looks on the phone: Settings | Accounts | Google. Is the email address correct? Is the icon next to it green? Any error messages?

EDIT: you could also try clearing your cache: Settings | Device | Storage, tap "Cached Data" and accept the prompt.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Did Safe mode and cache on both - not helped
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

No error message. Trust will now backup and reset - and then reload all apps. All Google apps which use my G mail login are having this problem on Nexus 5 and on Nexus 7. The same router connects to my MacBook, Dell Laptop, and a Nokia device - no problems with the same G mail login. So somehow some corruption - but the same on two separate devices - baffling.

I would agree. Extremely odd. A factory reset should fix things though. I wonder if Google/Play services were updated in the background and it didn't install properly for you...on two devices.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Did you try signing out of your account and than back in again?
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.4(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.4), iphone 5, ONE+64GB N7(4.4.4) AT&T The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Guys - all of you. Thanks for yr patience and help. Got it working as of now and this is how.

Settings - WiFi - Advanced - Changed WiFi frequency band from Auto to 2.4 GHz only.

Since I had already uninstalled my G mail and Play store did not work - went to Settings - Apps - Disabled. Found G mail and reinstalled it. First updated it and then went for sync.

Uninstalled WhatsApp, Viber, Digital Clock Widget with Cuckoo and 4 HD wallpapers I had recently downloaded.

The G mail sync took a long time - but now everything is fine.

Checked on Nexus 7 - fine there also.

Will now reinstall each of the above apps one by one and see if any one of them was conflicting.

Not able to understand ad to why and how - but that's it. And why only on both Nexus devices only? Nexus 5 & 7.

The laptops were not affected.

Tried to install Google 2 step authentication now - but so far not successful - will figure it out.

Any clues as to why the WiFi icon in Settings is White / Orange? In both the cases the WiFi works.

Thanks again to all.
    Thanked by:

You might want to check your router manufacturer's web page for it and see if they have a firmware update. Now that you mentioned the 2.4 GHz thing, I think I remember seeing similar issues elsewhere. It's possible it could be the Nexus 5 that's the issue. But, since your old Nexus 7 has the same problem, I'd lean towards something at the router's end. I'd start with the firmware and move on to things like checking for neighboring routers using the same channel. Something like:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....pinapps.amped

might help with that.
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Using Linksys WRT54G 2.4 GHz wireless router - had earlier upgraded Firmware from 2.2 to 4.5 or so which is the last one this supports. Unable to figure out as to why only Nexus devices were affected and not the laptops - all are serviced by the same router.

I'm having the exact same problem tried everything everyone has said and still no luck even factory reset it. Any more tips on how to get it to work ?

Every time I try to login to Google services the following message pops up:
    Can't establish a Reliable connection to the server.

This could be a temporary problem Or your Android Device May not be Provisioned For data services.

Hi all... Plz help me I have same problem with my nexus 7 2013 kitkat4.4.4 ... And I try all methods .Chang my WiFi Chanel .turn on airplane mod. Rest my router .re boot my device.... And bla bla bla
    But didn't work any methods... Plz help..sorry about my bad English