Sscreen cracked while charging (N5)

fred5

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Just received my nexus 5.
On the third night when I charged it I woke up to find a crack on the screen.
The N5 did not fall on the floor nor was in my pocket.

Is it possible ?
Frankly, I don't have the power to send it back (ordered it from abroad). Does this say anything about the future of the battery or the phone?
Is this thing known?
Thanks.

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure where you got it from? If from eBay, I'd believe there was probably a tiny crack when you received it, and it was only a matter of time before it got worse. I don't know how to project how the rest of it will hold up though. Sorry to hear of your trouble with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure where you got it from? If from eBay, I'd believe there was probably a tiny crack when you received it, and it was only a matter of time before it got worse. I don't know how to project how the rest of it will hold up though. Sorry to hear of your trouble with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Actually gorilla glass 3 should prevent it from getting worse. There is actually a whole thread about this same problem on the galaxy note 3 there. LG probably won't fix it for free but I would check your credit card if you used one because some credit cards offer stuff like purchase protection where they will cover the cost of damaged items, lost and theft.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually gorilla glass 3 should prevent it from getting worse. There is actually a whole thread about this same problem on the galaxy note 3 there. LG probably won't fix it for free but I would check your credit card if you used one because some credit cards offer stuff like purchase protection where they will cover the cost of damaged items, lost and theft.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

He ordered it from abroad so I'm guessing he didn't get it from Google play, so not sure about what kind of warranty he'd have. I've seen a lot of posts lately about screens spontaneously breaking and I'm very skeptical. I think either the owners didn't see something unfortunate happen to the phone... something has to happen to break a screen. Not saying they're lying but maybe they just didn't witness whatever did happen.

Good idea re checking with the credit card company! I always forget that. :)

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
He ordered it from abroad so I'm guessing he didn't get it from Google play, so not sure about what kind of warranty he'd have. I've seen a lot of posts lately about screens spontaneously breaking and I'm very skeptical. I think either the owners didn't see something unfortunate happen to the phone... something has to happen to break a screen. Not saying they're lying but maybe they just didn't witness whatever did happen.

Good idea re checking with the credit card company! I always forget that. :)

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Yea I always buy my high priced items with my discover or Amex cards since they have this feature (my visa happens to have it but not all) for that reason.

Tbh I don't think it's out of reach it happens. I mean seeing how hot the phones can hey which could warp the phone in a way it makes the screen Crack from the other side of the screen.

Sent from my SM-N900T

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yea I always buy my high priced items with my discover or Amex cards since they have this feature.
I could kick myself for failing to remember that... I buy everything on Amex and could have potentially availed myself of that service more than once!
Tbh I don't think it's out of reach it happens. I mean seeing how hot the phones can hey which could warp the phone in a way it makes the screen Crack from the other side of the screen.
My N5 doesn't really heat up much when connected to a wired charger, but it does get disturbingly warm when charging via Qi, and there's no question that swings in temperature will fatigue the electronics as well as the physical materials due to the different degrees to which they expand/contract. I just figured that the wear on the electronics wouldn't be an issue within the first couple of years, by the end of which I'll have upgraded), and the physical elements would have been tested to ensure tolerance. I'm curious as to whether the OP was using a Qi charger... If so, I might consider giving up that convenience for a little peace of mind, even if it is all in my own mind that that might have been the culprit for him.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I could kick myself for failing to remember that... I buy everything on Amex and could have potentially availed myself of that service more than once!

My N5 doesn't really heat up much when connected to a wired charger, but it does get disturbingly warm when charging via Qi, and there's no question that swings in temperature will fatigue the electronics as well as the physical materials due to the different degrees to which they expand/contract. I just figured that the wear on the electronics wouldn't be an issue within the first couple of years, by the end of which I'll have upgraded), and the physical elements would have been tested to ensure tolerance. I'm curious as to whether the OP was using a Qi charger... If so, I might consider giving up that convenience for a little peace of mind, even if it is all in my own mind that that might have been the culprit for him.

I used wireless charging on my Nexus 5 when I had it and it did get hot but after a month still I got rid of it for various reasons it still had a perfect screen. I love wireless charging and why I love my note 3 :)

Sent from my SM-N900T

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I used wireless charging on my Nexus 5 when I had it and it did get hot but after a month still I got rid of it for various reasons it still had a perfect screen. I love wireless charging and why I love my note 3 :)

Sent from my SM-N900T

Still using mine, too - wouldn't stop unless it appeared to be an issue. Is the larger increase in device temperature just an associated symptom of using Qi chargers in general (does your Note 3 also get hotter on Qi than AC), or is it just an N5 thing?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Still using mine, too - wouldn't stop unless it appeared to be an issue. Is the larger increase in device temperature just an associated symptom of using Qi chargers in general (does your Note 3 also get hotter on Qi than AC), or is it just an N5 thing?

I don't noticed a big difference but with the note 3 the back is a bit bigger with the charging cover and it is also thicker. I was looking at the Norton utilities app and my Nexus 5 got as hot as 109?F compared to around 100?F to the Note 3. These were just temperatures I have seen while charging and just am estimation of what I remember I saw on the note 3

Sent from my SM-N900T

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Glass is glass.... and it doesn't like temp gradients.

It could be just that there was a microcrack in the glass, or even a fatal flaw... and charging caused enough heat to cause enough thermal stress to cause the crack to expand....

Just a theory.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I use a Qi charger (this one: Energizer Inductive Charger Brand New Next Generation Charging Technology | eBay ) every night with my Nexus 5 as does my wife with her Nexus 4. Neither phone gets more than "warm" when charging; Not in my wildest dreams can I imagine there is enough heat to crack the screen of either phone.

I'd like to know what charger the original poster was using when this happened. Stock? Third-party?

BTW, to see current temperature, open the Phone app and dial *#*#4636#*#*. A menu will pop up; tap Battery information.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not in my wildest dreams can I imagine there is enough heat to crack the screen of either phone.

Just speculating. There are only so many reasons a screen can just crack. Heat stress is one. Another is that when the glass was made, they screwed it up and there was too much internal stress in the glass... though, those tend to be catastrophic and the glass disintegrates, you'd probably get more than just a crack.

Odd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs