Nexus 5: Google Camera app appears?

gumpty

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Never seen this before. 'Google Camera' app updated this morning after I turned the phone on.

In the play store and everything, just not able to view anything about the app.

Will post screenshots shortly.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Camera app appears?

Yep.... they finally decoupled it from the ROM and put it on Google Play. By the way, it has some cool new features (in particular, one that thumbs its nose at HTC's duo camera)

Smart move though, now they can update and tweak it without having to deal with OS updates.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

What happened to all the different camera features, different lights and modes?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

The stuff they pulled however, was all stuff I never personally used. Now the stuff I was frustrated with has been fixed so I can't complain. BIG fan so far.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
The stuff they pulled however, was all stuff I never personally used. Now the stuff I was frustrated with has been fixed so I can't complain. BIG fan so far.

I agree I didn't use it all that much but I liked the options. HDR seems to be quicker and the focus seems much improved. I also really dig the blurred lens feature like the M8.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I agree I didn't use it all that much but I liked the options. HDR seems to be quicker and the focus seems much improved. I also really dig the blurred lens feature like the M8.

Yep... I use HDR+ a fair amount, but I never really fussed with any of those special modes like the nighttime one.

Now that I've played with it.... the lens blur seems to be processed in EXACTLY the same fashion as the M8. The M8 has that second camera to take the depth pic... but when you raise up the phone (as directed by the onscreen prompt) you accomplish the same thing without the need of the second cam.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Dperks17

May 19, 2010
Visit site

I know this sounds weird but anyone notice how fast the phone unlocks after the camera update? Like the animation is instantaneous. Kinda weird.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

OK, overall I am very pleased with this update. I *HATED* the menus before- mostly fixed... although having the "..." thing on top of the preview is very akward still, at least those stupid cascading menus are finally gone. I also hated the mismatch of what you see vs. what you get aspect ratio- fixed. The lens burr thing is fascinating (how do they do that??) and impressive. The focusing does seem faster, although it is still "hunting" a lot more than any HTC phone I have used in the past.

There are still things that need improvements, of course. My biggest dislike is that the resolution setting is buried too deep and still has no choice for 3:2 aspect ratio so it will match "real" cameras. Who knows, now that it is not part of the ROM, it might improve even more.

axis.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Just noticed the change and played around with it. Haven't gone outside to take pictures but is it just me or do the pictures not look as sharp anymore? It's almost like all the pictures are dimmer and the colours/details aren't as distinctive as before?

Everytime I took a picture with HDR pre-update, any picture would amaze me. Just tried post-update and it seemed somewhat lacking for some reason....maybe I'll have to wait to get some outdoor shots and compare then?

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Here is a photo I just took off my youngest using the blur feature. Took a bit to get it to work at first as I was moving the camera fast, the result is fantastic! Can't wait to print photos like this.

SQUIRREL!!!

Attachments

• 1397697663327.jpg
    1397697663327.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 63

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately, I just discovered it is storing the image as a 0.7 Megapixels :( I can certainly with with 6 or even 5MP, but 0.7??? That is approaching useless.

It stores it on the phone at that size? Because the picture you posted doesn't seem that small. Is it because you blurred most of the shot out?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately, I just discovered it is storing the image as a 0.7 Megapixels :( I can certainly with with 6 or even 5MP, but 0.7??? That is approaching useless.

Open the camera app. Place your finger on the left edge of the screen and drag right to open the side menu. Tap the Gear icon at bottom left corner of screen. Tap Resolution & Quality,

Continue as desired.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Lens Blur shrinks images down to 1024 x 768 on default settings. You can change quality up from low to high in the app's settings. But even with this, the feature reduces images down to 2048 x 1536.

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
3.1 mega pixel isn't the end of the world, good quality for social networking. Not very good print quality though at a good size anyway.

SQUIRREL!!!

anon(301129)

May 1, 2011
www.romamexico.com
Personally on first impressions, they stripped it down too much. No more white balance which I used extensively.
I have a bar that has mixed low lighting so I used to select the florescent light setting and force flash. This gave me excellent photos. Last night I tried to force flash the new app and it gave me very blue color temp photos. I uninstalled the update and use the old app for the night and all was good.
I noted that the default zoom is a much wider angle. I have not tried zooming yet.
I reinstalled the update today and will continue testing.
So far I give this app a 2 out of 5. I am hoping for better results but i am skeptical.