Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LeoRex
  • 1 Post By N4Newbie
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Google Camera app appears?

Never seen this before. 'Google Camera' app updated this morning after I turned the phone on.

In the play store and everything, just not able to view anything about the app.

Will post screenshots shortly.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-17-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Default Re: Google Camera app appears?

Google Camera gets an overhaul, released into Play Store for KitKat devices http://www.androidcentral.com/google...defocus-effect

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)
    ~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)

Yep.... they finally decoupled it from the ROM and put it on Google Play. By the way, it has some cool new features (in particular, one that thumbs its nose at HTC's duo camera)

Smart move though, now they can update and tweak it without having to deal with OS updates.

What happened to all the different camera features, different lights and modes?

Quote Originally Posted by ianhanson85 View Post
    What happened to all the different camera features, different lights and modes?

Yeah.. it appears as though they pulled some stuff.... the 'scenes' modes being one of them.

The stuff they pulled however, was all stuff I never personally used. Now the stuff I was frustrated with has been fixed so I can't complain. BIG fan so far.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    The stuff they pulled however, was all stuff I never personally used. Now the stuff I was frustrated with has been fixed so I can't complain. BIG fan so far.
    I agree I didn't use it all that much but I liked the options. HDR seems to be quicker and the focus seems much improved. I also really dig the blurred lens feature like the M8.

Quote Originally Posted by ianhanson85 View Post
    I agree I didn't use it all that much but I liked the options. HDR seems to be quicker and the focus seems much improved. I also really dig the blurred lens feature like the M8.
    Yep... I use HDR+ a fair amount, but I never really fussed with any of those special modes like the nighttime one.

Now that I've played with it.... the lens blur seems to be processed in EXACTLY the same fashion as the M8. The M8 has that second camera to take the depth pic... but when you raise up the phone (as directed by the onscreen prompt) you accomplish the same thing without the need of the second cam.

By the way... Android Police did an APK teardown... and while the current features are sparse, it looks as though there is a TON of stuff that might show up in the near future:

[APK Teardown] Advanced Camera Mode, Photo Sphere Live Wallpaper, And More Hiding In Google Camera

Now, since Google decoupled the camera and can send updates via Google Play, we don't have to play 'Pin The Tail on the OTA' when it does get new features.
    crxssi likes this.

I know this sounds weird but anyone notice how fast the phone unlocks after the camera update? Like the animation is instantaneous. Kinda weird.

Nexus FTW
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,413 Global Posts

OK, overall I am very pleased with this update. I *HATED* the menus before- mostly fixed... although having the "..." thing on top of the preview is very akward still, at least those stupid cascading menus are finally gone. I also hated the mismatch of what you see vs. what you get aspect ratio- fixed. The lens burr thing is fascinating (how do they do that??) and impressive. The focusing does seem faster, although it is still "hunting" a lot more than any HTC phone I have used in the past.

There are still things that need improvements, of course. My biggest dislike is that the resolution setting is buried too deep and still has no choice for 3:2 aspect ratio so it will match "real" cameras. Who knows, now that it is not part of the ROM, it might improve even more.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Just noticed the change and played around with it. Haven't gone outside to take pictures but is it just me or do the pictures not look as sharp anymore? It's almost like all the pictures are dimmer and the colours/details aren't as distinctive as before?

Everytime I took a picture with HDR pre-update, any picture would amaze me. Just tried post-update and it seemed somewhat lacking for some reason....maybe I'll have to wait to get some outdoor shots and compare then?

Here is a photo I just took off my youngest using the blur feature. Took a bit to get it to work at first as I was moving the camera fast, the result is fantastic! Can't wait to print photos like this.

SQUIRREL!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 5: Google Camera app appears?-1397697663327.jpg  

That's a really cool effect.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

Global Posts
    2,413 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    That's a really cool effect. .
    Unfortunately, I just discovered it is storing the image as a 0.7 Megapixels I can certainly with with 6 or even 5MP, but 0.7??? That is approaching useless.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Unfortunately, I just discovered it is storing the image as a 0.7 Megapixels I can certainly with with 6 or even 5MP, but 0.7??? That is approaching useless.
    It stores it on the phone at that size? Because the picture you posted doesn't seem that small. Is it because you blurred most of the shot out?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Open the camera app. Place your finger on the left edge of the screen and drag right to open the side menu. Tap the Gear icon at bottom left corner of screen. Tap Resolution & Quality,

Continue as desired.
    Thanked by 2:
    Chetan Takyar likes this.

Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Lens Blur shrinks images down to 1024 x 768 on default settings. You can change quality up from low to high in the app's settings. But even with this, the feature reduces images down to 2048 x 1536.

Default Re: Nexus 5: Google Camera app appears?

3.1 mega pixel isn't the end of the world, good quality for social networking. Not very good print quality though at a good size anyway.

SQUIRREL!!!

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.3 unlocked and rooted

Personally on first impressions, they stripped it down too much. No more white balance which I used extensively.
    I have a bar that has mixed low lighting so I used to select the florescent light setting and force flash. This gave me excellent photos. Last night I tried to force flash the new app and it gave me very blue color temp photos. I uninstalled the update and use the old app for the night and all was good.
    I noted that the default zoom is a much wider angle. I have not tried zooming yet.
    I reinstalled the update today and will continue testing.
    So far I give this app a 2 out of 5. I am hoping for better results but i am skeptical.
    Living in Puerto Vallarta with my wife and our 5 Kids, Atrix 4G, N4, N5, N7, N10 and a recently adopted MK908B.
    www.romamexico.com

LOL... Check this out. Make sure you watch the two videos.

With Its New Camera, Google Declares War On Vertical Videos

I've been playing about with the time lapse facility for the Video setting on the original app. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think it's there in the latest version. I've now reverted to the original.

It would be great if you could keep both versions on the same phone to cherry pick the most useful features from each.

Global Posts
    2,413 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Open the camera app. Place your finger on the left edge of the screen and drag right to open the side menu. Tap the Gear icon at bottom left corner of screen. Tap Resolution & Quality,

Continue as desired.
    Thanks! Ah, no wonder I didn't see this the first time....

The option after that is called "Lens Blur Quality" and says nothing about resolution. But if you change it to "high quality", it will store the image at 2048x1536 which is 3 megapixels. I am fine with that! But it should not be called "quality", it is "resolution"... so I will scold Google for a poor choice of wording.

Thumbs down Re: Nexus 5: Google Camera app appears?

Camera App appeared Google Play and updated yesterday. I tried it out but couldn't get the Lens Blur to work effectively. The really good thing about this update is that the picture you get is the picture you see - finally! Most frustrating taking a picture when, previously, the viewfinder describes a cropped picture. However, the cons of this update far outweigh the pros for me. Too much has been taken away, reducing the camera to an absolute point and shoot. I tried some indoor evening shots with fluorescent lighting and the new camera app couldn't capture, for example, the nuance of colour in the curtains or cushions. It simply brightened it all up, washing the colours out. I reverted to the stock camera app and got quite a good representation of the same, both with and without flash/HDR+. (I tried the white balance setting for florescent lighting for the shot but found without took a better picture in this instance). That was the decider for me. I have no patience with a camera that doesn't reasonably accurately represent the colours of the subject. This new camera app is not subtle enough; no white balance anymore; no being able to take a still while taking video; no scene shot options (though I never use those to be honest); no timer; no option to select an aspect ration other than 4:3, which is rubbish for landscape shots; and poor representation of picture in indoor lit conditions, with or without flash/HDR+. (Haven't tried outdoors but as I said, the indoor test is enough for me to give this a miss). This update is a serious step backward. I have uninstalled it. I would love for the viewfinder to actually show the picture I am taking but I guess I will just have to put up with this annoyance in the current stock app. I only hope any system update coming through will not force feed this whole update onto the phone. That would be very upsetting.