New Camera update

Soham26

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Why there is black screen around capture button?
Above back button around 1.5cm size is not used for camera.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Why there is black screen around capture button?
Above back button around one finger is not used for camera.

That's the way they designed it. But I think you can use the entire space to take pictures instead if just the button. (Not 100% on that though)

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
That's the way they designed it. But I think you can use the entire space to take pictures instead if just the button. (Not 100% on that though)

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)

This is correct. I've tried it. To answer the original question, they designed it that way because the camera takes photos with a 4:3 aspect ratio, but the screen of your nexus 5 has a 16:9 aspect ratio, wider than 4:3. Before, the picture want the same as what you saw on the display. Now it is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
This is correct. I've tried it. To answer the original question, they designed it that way because the camera takes photos with a 4:3 aspect ratio, but the screen of your nexus 5 has a 16:9 aspect ratio, wider than 4:3. Before, the picture want the same as what you saw on the display. Now it is.

Nice, thanks for the confirmation and explanation!

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I can see why it is laid out the way they did.... the 'big black bar' on the right is the shutter button, they could have made that a little more clear with one of those first-time tool tips... and a TRUE view finder is awesome... drives me a little crazy that I see so many people complaining about it 'cropping' their photos. Again, they could have tool tipped that as well.

Now, they could have split the shutter button into two equal sized slabs on either side of the view, but that would have lead to its own set of issues. The most problematic one would be that their new design approach is that stuff slides out from the left of the screen.... settings, menus, etc. That slide out menu pretty much forces the shutter to the right hand side.

But I'll say it again... from what I can see, this app is going to develop into something quite good so be patient. OK, this version might seem like a step back, but it isn't really... From what I've seen, they appear to have ripped the guts out of the program and completely redid a lot of it. The pics I've taken, so far, have been as good, if not better, than the previous app. It seems to focus quicker, take quicker photos and not hunt about to keep focus as much. For what it does, I've found that it does it better than the other camera app.

I can only guess...but Google seems to have made the decision to release the improved camera app, with limited features, early rather than wait longer for a more feature-rich..... And since it's in Google Play, it is optional...

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 5 since November and with much experimentation found that HDR+ almost always gives me a far superior image. The new app is a win for me as it now focuses faster and most importantly now gives me a viewfinder that shows me exactly what will be in my photos. This camera is amazingly good.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm extremely happy with the new update as well. It's definitely different which always will throw some people through a loop, but I am enjoying it.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have one problem with it. I prefer using hdr, and the option to use it rarely 'sticks'. I usually have to tell the app each time to use hdr. Otherwise I like it.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Nice upgrade. The new camera allows me to take sexting to a whole new level w/o needing to buy a new phone.

chokka21

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Can't say I agree with any of the comments above. New Camera App updated a couple days ago. I tried it out but couldn't get the Lens Blur to work effectively. The really good thing about it is that with the update the picture you get is the picture you see - finally! Most frustrating taking a picture when, previously, the viewfinder describes a cropped picture. However, the cons of this update far outweigh the pros for me. Too much has been taken away, reducing the camera to an absolute point and shoot. I tried some indoor evening shots with fluorescent lighting and the new camera app couldn't capture, for example, the nuance of colour in the curtains or cushions. It simply brightened it all up, washing the colours out. I reverted to the stock camera app and got quite a good representation of the same, both with and without flash/HDR+. (I tried the white balance setting for florescent lighting for the shot but found without took a better picture in this instance). That was the decider for me. I have no patience with a camera that doesn't reasonably accurately represent the colours of the subject. This new camera update is not subtle enough; no white balance anymore; no being able to take a still while taking video; no scene shot options (though I never use those to be honest); no timer; no option to select an aspect ratio other than 4:3, (which is rubbish for landscape shots); and poor representation of picture in indoor lit conditions, with or without flash/HDR+. (Haven't tried outdoors but as I said, the indoor test is enough for me to give this a miss). For me, this update is a serious step backward. I have uninstalled it. For those who believe it is a precursor for better things to come, I'd prefer to wait until those better things do come. I would love for the viewfinder to actually show the picture I am taking but I guess I will just have to put up with this annoyance in the current stock app. I only hope any system update coming through will not force feed this whole update onto the phone. That would be very upsetting. :(

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Now that we have this new Camera update does anyone know if we get any camera changes that I have read about coming with the new Android 4.4.3 update in about a week? All the news sites are talking up the N5 camera fix in 4.4.3 so a little confused now what is going on.

Soham26

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
This camera update is only add some features not for the issue with battery drainage that will solved in 4.4.3

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Now that we have this new Camera update does anyone know if we get any camera changes that I have read about coming with the new Android 4.4.3 update in about a week? All the news sites are talking up the N5 camera fix in 4.4.3 so a little confused now what is going on.

Well, don't confuse the camera application with the camera itself. Long story short is that bug is with the camera.... and it's not anywhere an app can fix.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Dislike that some of the extra tweaking features have gone missing, but I believe they'll come back in a future update (maybe with 4.4.3?).

The lens blur feature is nice. I played around with it. Here's my doge:

iVpYeYI.jpg

kb1sLHE.jpg

FwYQ05q.jpg

22OIRQ5.jpg

fq2bhad.jpg

Vqx2AVX.jpg

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 5 since November and with much experimentation found that HDR+ almost always gives me a far superior image. The new app is a win for me as it now focuses faster and most importantly now gives me a viewfinder that shows me exactly what will be in my photos. This camera is amazingly good.
It probably focuses faster, or seems to focus faster, because they stripped out other functions. I'm not confident that's a fair trade-off.

Dislike that some of the extra tweaking features have gone missing, but I believe they'll come back in a future update (maybe with 4.4.3?).

The lens blur feature is nice. I played around with it. Here's my doge:
Ditto, beautiful dog. What breed?

I'm not content to let Google "update" my camera app with a craptastic version with features removed, only to hope they'll restore them later. Until someone can tell me irrefutably that this software takes better pics, I'm pretty ticked off at Google.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/381447-new-camera-app.html#post3594704

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance