Nexus 5: Not happy about the recent camera change

mysilly

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the time lapse feature and tried to use it today, but discovered it had disappeared with the latest update. So, I loaded Camera Zoom fx and used the time lapse feature on there. However, whenever I load that app, it ALWAYS over-exposes the preview image until you take a shot, and it then "adjusts itself" and seems fine from then on. I used the time lapse feature and wasted 10 mins trying to find it and work it out (instead of filming my subject). I now look in my folder and the time lapse has been saved as 1000 photos, and not a video.

AAARGRGRHH!

Can I salvage my footage?

Last edited by a moderator:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Not happy about the recent camera change

In the app world, it's pretty much impossible to make everyone happy. Overall, I'm very pleased with the new camera update.

There are quite a few camera apps out there right now. My suggestion would be to try one of the other ones out. I know that Vignette has a Time Lapse function.

August Schunk

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I am very unhappy about this as well. I have used it a lot and found it to be a fun part of having an Android device.
I have looked for a suitable replacement for it and they all are limited or cost money. I don't want to buy a paid app to evaluate it because taking the video takes time (time lapse) and if I don't like the app I won't be able to get a refund fifteen minutes after the purchase.

Posted via Android Central App

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the time lapse feature and tried to use it today, but discovered it had disappeared with the latest update.

If it is any consolation, it is believed that it will be added back with another update. Of course, nobody knows when, though.

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Try out any app called "Snap Camera HDR" its basically stock camera with a ton of extras including time lapse and burst mode

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Not happy about the recent camera change

In the app world, it's pretty much impossible to make everyone happy. Overall, I'm very pleased with the new camera update.

There are quite a few camera apps out there right now. My suggestion would be to try one of the other ones out. I know that Vignette has a Time Lapse function.
You should not have to "replace" your stock Camera app with a third party app because Google releases a "lite" version on the Play store for non-Nexus devices, and Nexus devices snatch it as an "update" (which it's not).

Google got a one-star review from me for this *#)@.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/381447-new-camera-app.html#post3594704

Chris Arnold

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Why not just uninstall the new camera update and roll back to the old one? That's what I did after giving it a try, and decided I liked the old one better.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Why not just uninstall the new camera update and roll back to the old one? That's what I did after giving it a try, and decided I liked the old one better.

That is a great idea. I've done this myself. Might I add that you make sure to uncheck auto update. Thanks

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Is there a way to roll back to a specific update (the prior edition) without rooting? I don't want to go back to the originally released version, and Uninstall updates under Settings>Apps>Camera only provides the option to uninstall all updates.

Chris Arnold

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't recall any updates after the 4.4.2 stock update. When you uninstall the newest update from the play store, it will roll it back to the original included in 4.4.2.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm still skeptical that this is an "update." It seems like other components (Google Now launcher) that they've made available on the Play store. This way other users can grab a "bone stock, Nexus" app regardless of their ROM or manufacturer.

Only thing that indicates "update" to me is that the Play store wants to update my stock Camera with this, and I'm clutching tightly to the perspective that this is a bug. They ought to be able to release a Nexus-style app without it overwriting the full-featured version in the Nexus factory image(s).

Google/AOSP are you listening?

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys, happily back to using the full format display and other convenient features.

The old format may have used the entire screen as a viewfinder, but it did not display the entire image that was being captured. This made it very frustrating to compose certain shots. (Not everyone wants to spend time cropping every shot.) The "smaller" display is actually showing the image being captured (except for HDR, which tends to slice of the edges).

- - - Updated - - -

So, I loaded Camera Zoom fx and used the time lapse feature on there. However, whenever I load that app, it ALWAYS over-exposes the preview image until you take a shot, and it then "adjusts itself" and seems fine from then on.

This also happens to me when I try to use Camera Zoom FX. Is there a fix/solution for this problem?!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800