Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default nexus 5 internet help

So I recently purchased my wife a nexus 5 and could use some help.

Everyday while at her work she has to login to their public WiFi, however it times out every hour which requires you to go to their webpage and accept terms.

Once the WiFi has timed out so no access but still technically connected to wifi , her phone is essentially dead not receiving hang out texts, emails etc. Obviously the problem is it does not automatically revert to LTE like her previous phones did. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Default Re: nexus 5 internet help

Welcome to Android Central! That behavior is not unusual, because if the phone is still getting a Wi-Fi signal, it won't revert to LTE. Is the one hour timeout normal for the work Wi-Fi? Does that happen with other devices as well?

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes it kicks everyone off after 60 minutes, its a cafe. She has worked there for years and never had this problem with iPhone.

Might be a difference between iOS and Android in how they handle wifi signals without a valid login. Do you know how other Android devices behave at work?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm not sure I just set the phone to only use good network connection s hopefully that fixes it

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerab View Post
    So I recently purchased my wife a nexus 5 and could use some help.

Everyday while at her work she has to login to their public WiFi, however it times out every hour which requires you to go to their webpage and accept terms.

Once the WiFi has timed out so no access but still technically connected to wifi , her phone is essentially dead not receiving hang out texts, emails etc. Obviously the problem is it does not automatically revert to LTE like her previous phones did. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    I suggest you to use smart WiFi toggler,it can notify you of WiFi state change and under advanced settings there is this accuracy option which might be useful in your particular case,but since I haven't encountered any such situation and hence I'm only suggesting you to try it,also check the rest advanced settings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with my phone at work. We have a similar setup for guests and it will timeout if the phone isn't plugged in or if data isn't being used. I can get around the timeout issue b either streaming Sirius or keeping the phone plugged in, both sometimes that isn't feasible. When I had an iPhone, it handled this situation, as you mentioned, much better than the Nexus 4, Galaxy S4 and Nexus 5 have. I gave up on it and just turn off wifi when I'm at work now and use LTE.

One of the bugs with the current OS will be corrected by the new Android 4.4.3 with bugs fix in Wi-Fi auto-connect. We should be getting this update this month but not sure it will fix your issue.