Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ed Briggs's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,009 Posts

    Default Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Just curious as to why you are NOT doing either. As for me, I just don't see a need for it. Especially when Google will provide timely updates whenever they become available. Plus, I see over at xda that all of the roms are not running perfectly yet.

    I did run a custom rom on my samsung infuse for a while, but that's because att was not sending out updates, and I would have been stuck with android 2.2 froyo. My Sexy Nexy is running perfectly, and would like to keep it that way. I'm not against custom roms by any means, it's just not for me at this time. You?
  2. #2  
    bjrosen's Avatar

    Posts
    547 Posts
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    I'm rooted but I'm using the standard ROM. I have Gravity Box installed which has allowed me to make the interface changes that I wanted without having to use a custom ROM. When I had a Galaxy Nexus I had no choice but to use a custom ROM, CyanogenMod, because the device was essentially unsupported otherwise (it was on Verizon). That's not true with the N5, I'm now on AT&T, so I don't see any reason to use a non-standard ROM. However the lack of customizability of standard KtiKat is a problem, GravityBox fixes that. I've also played around at changing the speed governors but that isn't particularly useful so I haven't messed with that in a while.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    I don't root, or ROM either. I love the pure simplicity of stock android on my Nexus 5. I can't do touchwiz or sense. I find them irritating, and at times bloated.

    Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??
  4. #4  
    kd0h's Avatar

    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Rooted but just on the Stock ROM.

    I rooted for a few Tasker tasks and they need access to GPS and the slide pattern on the lock screen.

    I also like Greenify as well which is better when rooted (Greenify just recently received a non rooted mode but have heard mixed reviews).

    It's also nice I can toggle airplane mode on/off in the notification screen. (Without having it open the settings screen and then toggling it again)

    Just little things that make the phone that much better and do exactly as I like.

    Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)
  5. #5  
    MBSMD's Avatar

    Posts
    456 Posts
    Global Posts
    513 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    I have my work email connected to my phone and rooted devices are not permitted. They use Mobile Iron to screen the phone for root access and any "forbidden" apps that require root like Titanium and others.

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    The only reason I would root in the past would be to remove the carrier bloatware and get a ROM without manufacturer skins (TouchWiz, Sense, etc), since I am on a Nexus device I don't feel the need to deviate from stock.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    I don't root anymore or flash custom roms. For me that was more of something to do when Android was not as good as it is now. I remember having to put custom roms on older devices to get a stable full experience. I can't think of what I'd want to do with root now let alone custom roms.
    monsieurms likes this.
  8. #8  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    909 Posts
    Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    I rooted and ROM'ed my Nexus 4, but haven't had the need to do so for my Nexus 5. For the N4, I rooted and got a new ROM because I wanted access to T-Mobile's LTE network, for the most part. But the Nexus 5 is LTE enabled out of the box, so I have no need to root. And I don't need to root to sideload updates either.

    I also used to root my devices to put ROMs on it with innovative features. These days, I am more taken by what Google is doing by decoupling the Google Now Launcher, the camera, and other apps. I don't want ROMs to mess it up with some bug. :-P
    camanokid and monsieurms like this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Me.

    I'm all stock. Too lazy to mess with flashing ROMs/rooting, etc. I used to, but now, I feel Android just doesn't need it. Titanium Backup might be the only thing I miss, but even that, I feel isn't a big deal anymore. Most things back up independently, and honestly, Android just doesn't crash that badly anymore (where you risk losing everything). Android is so stable now.

    I don't even bother with launchers, even though I do love/miss a few extra features that Nova provides.

    I did, however, change my icons using Icon Changer Free and the Moonshine theme to try out the latest rumored Google icon revamp:

    Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROM's, and why?-y0mqp8o.jpg

    Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROM's, and why?-gekhgfj.jpg

    I quite like it (except for maybe the new Maps icon. How bland!).

    Other than that, nearly fully stock. And a happy camper.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    There is no need for either for me. As simple as that. Both are overrated, IMO.
    monsieurms and camanokid like this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Haven't found a convincing argument to root.
    I don't want to wipe my N5 for sure.
    I've got it setup just the way I like it!
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    There is no need for either for me. As simple as that. Both are overrated, IMO.
    This. I don't have a compelling reason to root. What am I missing?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    I'm 100% stock. What is the point of rooting or ROM when stock does everything it needs to do? I don't want to wipe my N5. I got better things to do than root and un-root for updates and check out new ROM to see if it causes other problems. All I want is a smartphone. When I was a kid I would get a new car I would spend months making it faster, put in better sounds, new wheels, window tinting and make it look hotter than other stock models. Then after a few years I just wanted a car to get from one place to the other and didn't want to waste money or time on a custom car that just caused me more aggravation than it was worth. If you love it rooted with custom Rom then I'm happy for you but it is still just a smartphone.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Greenify = reason to root

    'nuff said

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Mine's stock. I like vanilla Android and it offers me enough customization options that I don't feel the need to root.
  16. #16  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Briggs View Post
    Just curious as to why you are NOT doing either.
    1) Because everything is working
    2) Because it is already fast
    3) Because it is already reliable
    4) Because I can already disable most anything I need/want
    5) Because I have other things to do with my time
    6) Because it is still under warranty
    7) Because it will break DRM and be incompatible with certain media apps
  17. #17  
    multo's Avatar

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,104 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    I used to. But for now I'm all stock. Even the bootloader is locked.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Just not interested, since it does what I want it to do. I've thought about rooting a couple of old devices I have because they've just become really slow and laggy, and maybe a custom ROM might help. But for the N5, no need.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    Greenify = reason to root

    'nuff said
    That's why I also have couple of WP8 phones
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    I just bought it yesterday lol so I'm not

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Ed Briggs's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,009 Posts

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    1) Because everything is working
    2) Because it is already fast
    3) Because it is already reliable
    4) Because I can already disable most anything I need/want
    5) Because I have other things to do with my time
    6) Because it is still under warranty
    7) Because it will break DRM and be incompatible with certain media apps
    Agreed.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    I did not find any reason to, and I did not want to invest any time learning how to do it. Although I would like to fiddle around with the phone, I just don't have the time.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    7) Because it will break DRM and be incompatible with certain media apps
    Just curious, what apps are affected in your experience?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  24. #24  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    Just curious, what apps are affected in your experience? [DRM breaking]
    None for me YET... but I know the TiVo app, when it FINALLY supports streaming, will break. I believe that some of the HBO and that type apps will also break. There are other apps too, but I don't know which right now.... they check for rooting and if rooted, will refuse to work. It sucks- remember, we paying customers have to be punished.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Briggs View Post
    Just curious as to why you are NOT doing either. As for me, I just don't see a need for it. Especially when Google will provide timely updates whenever they become available. Plus, I see over at xda that all of the roms are not running perfectly yet.

    I did run a custom rom on my samsung infuse for a while, but that's because att was not sending out updates, and I would have been stuck with android 2.2 froyo. My Sexy Nexy is running perfectly, and would like to keep it that way. I'm not against custom roms by any means, it's just not for me at this time. You?
    --It's a lot of effort, for little perceived gain at this point.
    --I'm always concerned it will affect some carrier software or create other unpredictable events that will be hard to find answers on.
    --Upgrading may be a hassle instead of automatic
    --If I screw up, I brick the phone
    --Warranty issues
    --I always wonder what happens if you sell it...

    and most of all...

    I'm content with the way it is and I like my current setup. I don't feel like I need to expend time and effort for some incremental gains, especially when the gains may be outweighed by problems....
    mysilly likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Imap email folders not syncing
    By kaufmansm in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-23-2015, 02:29 PM
  2. How and where in the u.s, did you buy the np12.2
    By Nychotxxx in forum Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-08-2014, 09:25 AM
  3. Twitter Photos - Not showing in Gallery
    By Marci Smith in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 09:13 AM
  4. Google Now Voice Search and Bluetooth combination
    By lasercomp in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 08:29 PM
  5. Questions about Rooting
    By stewbug in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooting, ROMs & Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 04:51 PM

Posting Permissions