Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROM's, and why?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Just curious as to why you are NOT doing either. As for me, I just don't see a need for it. Especially when Google will provide timely updates whenever they become available. Plus, I see over at xda that all of the roms are not running perfectly yet.

I did run a custom rom on my samsung infuse for a while, but that's because att was not sending out updates, and I would have been stuck with android 2.2 froyo. My Sexy Nexy is running perfectly, and would like to keep it that way. I'm not against custom roms by any means, it's just not for me at this time. You?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooted but I'm using the standard ROM. I have Gravity Box installed which has allowed me to make the interface changes that I wanted without having to use a custom ROM. When I had a Galaxy Nexus I had no choice but to use a custom ROM, CyanogenMod, because the device was essentially unsupported otherwise (it was on Verizon). That's not true with the N5, I'm now on AT&T, so I don't see any reason to use a non-standard ROM. However the lack of customizability of standard KtiKat is a problem, GravityBox fixes that. I've also played around at changing the speed governors but that isn't particularly useful so I haven't messed with that in a while.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't root, or ROM either. I love the pure simplicity of stock android on my Nexus 5. I can't do touchwiz or sense. I find them irritating, and at times bloated.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Rooted but just on the Stock ROM.

I rooted for a few Tasker tasks and they need access to GPS and the slide pattern on the lock screen.

I also like Greenify as well which is better when rooted (Greenify just recently received a non rooted mode but have heard mixed reviews).

It's also nice I can toggle airplane mode on/off in the notification screen. (Without having it open the settings screen and then toggling it again)

Just little things that make the phone that much better and do exactly as I like.

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I have my work email connected to my phone and rooted devices are not permitted. They use Mobile Iron to screen the phone for root access and any "forbidden" apps that require root like Titanium and others.

Posted via Android Central App

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I would root in the past would be to remove the carrier bloatware and get a ROM without manufacturer skins (TouchWiz, Sense, etc), since I am on a Nexus device I don't feel the need to deviate from stock.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't root anymore or flash custom roms. For me that was more of something to do when Android was not as good as it is now. I remember having to put custom roms on older devices to get a stable full experience. I can't think of what I'd want to do with root now let alone custom roms.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I rooted and ROM'ed my Nexus 4, but haven't had the need to do so for my Nexus 5. For the N4, I rooted and got a new ROM because I wanted access to T-Mobile's LTE network, for the most part. But the Nexus 5 is LTE enabled out of the box, so I have no need to root. And I don't need to root to sideload updates either.

I also used to root my devices to put ROMs on it with innovative features. These days, I am more taken by what Google is doing by decoupling the Google Now Launcher, the camera, and other apps. I don't want ROMs to mess it up with some bug. :p

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

Me.

I'm all stock. Too lazy to mess with flashing ROMs/rooting, etc. I used to, but now, I feel Android just doesn't need it. Titanium Backup might be the only thing I miss, but even that, I feel isn't a big deal anymore. Most things back up independently, and honestly, Android just doesn't crash that badly anymore (where you risk losing everything). Android is so stable now.

I don't even bother with launchers, even though I do love/miss a few extra features that Nova provides.

I did, however, change my icons using Icon Changer Free and the Moonshine theme to try out the latest rumored Google icon revamp:

Y0Mqp8o.jpg

geKHGfj.jpg

I quite like it (except for maybe the new Maps icon. How bland!).

Other than that, nearly fully stock. And a happy camper.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

There is no need for either for me. As simple as that. Both are overrated, IMO.

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

Haven't found a convincing argument to root.
I don't want to wipe my N5 for sure.
I've got it setup just the way I like it!

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I'm 100% stock. What is the point of rooting or ROM when stock does everything it needs to do? I don't want to wipe my N5. I got better things to do than root and un-root for updates and check out new ROM to see if it causes other problems. All I want is a smartphone. When I was a kid I would get a new car I would spend months making it faster, put in better sounds, new wheels, window tinting and make it look hotter than other stock models. Then after a few years I just wanted a car to get from one place to the other and didn't want to waste money or time on a custom car that just caused me more aggravation than it was worth. If you love it rooted with custom Rom then I'm happy for you but it is still just a smartphone.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just curious as to why you are NOT doing either.

1) Because everything is working
2) Because it is already fast
3) Because it is already reliable
4) Because I can already disable most anything I need/want
5) Because I have other things to do with my time
6) Because it is still under warranty
7) Because it will break DRM and be incompatible with certain media apps

multo

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I used to. But for now I'm all stock. Even the bootloader is locked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just not interested, since it does what I want it to do. I've thought about rooting a couple of old devices I have because they've just become really slow and laggy, and maybe a custom ROM might help. But for the N5, no need.