Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dkhmwilliams
  • 1 Post By LeoRex
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Default Physical to software keyboard transition

Hello,

As the title states I'm moving from a physical keyboard to a software one however what apps are out there to make the keyboard better?

Or would the standard Nexus 5 keyboard be fine?

Does the standard Nexus 5 keyboard have have predictive text or will it auto correct itself?

Thank you

P.S. How have people that used physical keyboards find typing on a software keyboard now? Any hints?

Default Re: Physical to software keyboard transition

Quote Originally Posted by Zac_AUS View Post
    Hello,

As the title states I'm moving from a physical keyboard to a software one however what apps are out there to make the keyboard better?

Or would the standard Nexus 5 keyboard be fine?

Does the standard Nexus 5 keyboard have have predictive text or will it auto correct itself?

Thank you

P.S. How have people that used physical keyboards find typing on a software keyboard now? Any hints?
    I find typing on a software keyboard a decidedly better experience than typing with a physical keyboard. I am a lot faster and due to autocorrect, I'm more accurate. When I had my BlackBerry way back when, I was really good at typing and thought that I could never get used to software keyboards. I was wrong. The Nexus 5 is equipped with the Google keyboard out of the box. The Google keyboard is one of the best keyboards out there. I like using the gesture typing. You can set the autocorrect to be really strong or really weak. It does have predictive text as well. The Samsung keyboard on my Note 3 is my favorite because it has a number row at the top at all times.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3... yeah, it's spectacular!
    Thanked by:
    Zac_AUS likes this.

Swype!

Gesture typing is really fast if you have good key memory. I never liked hunting and pecking for keys. I bought Swype, and once I got used to it, it's so much faster.

Swiftkey and the Google keyboard do gesture typing.. android stock keyboard does not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Zac_AUS likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

What's the difference between the Google keyboard and the standard Nexus 5 one?

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    ROM
    Which phone?

I could never get the hang of Swype, but the switch to an on screen keyboard wasn't bad.

I actually use both right now. My personal phone has been full touch since the original iPhone. As of yesterday I'm on an N5, and as far as Androids go, it's been the best software keyboard yet. iPhone still edges it out, but not by much.

My business line is a Blackberry, currently a q10. I love that phone, and the hardware keyboard, but if I had to drop to one device, the Blackberry wouldn't be it.

I honestly think the difference I feel in type speed on the hardware keyboard is a placebo more than anything.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 5
    Kindle Fire